car insurance deductible

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car insurance deductible

Has anyone ever used www.insurance4carhire.com? They take the place of super CDW and cover windshields and mirrors and tires and the extra 1000 or so euros that you are stuck with and they charge about $100 for a 31 day trip. I think it sounds like a good ides -- definitely and more comprehensive than what the insurance companies give you.

This is not full insurance -- only the part the super CDW covers plus the extras like scratches and mirrors. You would have to pay the damage and they would reimburse you.

I wondered if anyone had any experience with this.

thanks
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 04:49 PM

I have a yearly policy with them, and while I'm yet to make any claim, seems a very good value. The claim form which you can download looks a bit daunting, with all the supporting documents they require.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 12:01 PM

You would definitely need to check with the individual hire company. There was a clause in my Avis rental this year saying no other form of insurance could be used other than select MC and agency insurance. It sounds like you could not use that particular insurnace with them. I rented my car through Kenwel which is a consolidator and you don't know who the agency is until you rent the car.

Bill
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 11:11 PM

Wojazz-
That's interesting! My understanding after reviewing their site is that you would not present the insurance form to the rental agency and would still pay the CDW, this insurance only covers the "Super CDW" portion. The car rental company would know nothing except that you chose not to get the super cdw and the excess hold would be placed on your credit card. Should anything occur it would be up to you to file a claim with insurance4carhire.

mpkp
Haven't purchased it yet but I have emailed insurance4carhire to ask a few other questions as I was curious about one of their exclusions and asked for much greater detail(exclusion #20 Losses occurring whilst not driving on a public highway)

another concern is the 2,000E max and 3,000E max per year- you wouldn't want to use it but if you have to pay an excess of 1,600E on a rental car if it was stolen or totaled and you traveled to Europe frequently you really could be out of luck on such a low maximum

I shall let you know of their reply-
Dawn
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 03:45 AM
ira

Hi all,

Won't your CC cover rental insurance if you decline the CDW?

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 04:58 AM

No cover while driving off-road is quite standard on car rental policies as well as insurance4carhire. But if your only access to your holiday property is via an unmade (unsurfaced) road, I think you are covered.
The overall 2000 to 3000 euro limit shouldn't present any problems - just take out another policy for subsequent rentals.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 08:08 AM

You may very well be right Dawn. I've never used them and that could be the new way of dealing with it. If that's how it works, it will be the way of the future for dealing with the high cost of super CDW.

ira: In Ireland, only MC business cards and MC world cards cover CDW.

Bill
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 09:46 AM

Ira: The only CC company that covers CDW in Ireland is World Master Card. At least that is what my cc company told me. We're going to bite the bullet and buy the super cdw thorough Avis.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 10:10 AM
ira

Hi wojazz
Hi bluesmusic

(Is this a music festival? )

So where in this thread does it say the OP will be in Ireland?

Sheesh!

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 10:11 AM
ira

OOPs,

That should have been

Sheesh!
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 01:07 PM

I had secret data available to me when I read this. I could tell, you, but I'd have to kill you.

Bill
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all -- I think I am going to take this out for our trip in May. I do wonder and need to check and ensure the car is covered -- no extra for a second driver.

12perfectdays -- let me know how they answer your questions.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 04:33 AM

mpkp. I hope you do not have an accident, but please let us know how this company is to deal with.

I have to tell you that I called them as we considered using them for a trip which was eventually cancelled.

The customer service department was very cordial and answered all of my questions.

My understanding also was that this was a policy separate from the rental company and all claims would be paid by them for the excess. The rental company would put a hold on the credit card in the amount of the excess and if you damage the car they would charge you if there was any excess. Then after filing the claims with insurance4hire, you would be reimbursed for any charges from the rental company directly by insurance4hire.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 12:28 PM

I just went through the website and it looks like a pretty good idea. The one thing that struck me at all negative is that you need to provide "Copy of your credit card statement showing payment of the damages claimed". I may not get the legalese, but the wording suggests that you have to pay the amount and then they will reimburse you as opposed to sending you a check to pay the amount which could be a hardship if you had to come up with between $1500-2000 in cash.

It also appears that they reimburse directly to your bank account which makes me a bit nervous. I'm not sure I would want to give that data out.

Bill
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 05:25 PM

Hi wojazz, when I rent through Auto Europe or Kendall which I believe is the same, they always tell me from day one from which company I am going to get the car.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 08:00 AM

Kemwell does not provide that information. Under their terms and conditions it states:

"Kemwel has arranged your rental with the car rental company shown on the voucher after your payment of the services."

I just went all the way through the process stopping at giving them a credit card number and did not receive a rental company name. They tell you after you have paid. Auto Europe's prices have always been higher for Ireland so I've only used them once which was in Switzerland. As I remember, they did tell me who the rental agency was.

Bill
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 09:53 AM

Actually, I just checked auto europe and they have the same quote. It does look like they use the same engine to search and it appears that the rates have improved since the last time I used them. None-the-less, it appears that they won't tell you who the rental agency is until you've given them the cash.

Bill
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 10:34 AM

Surely they give you a pick up location? If so, it seems it should be pretty easy to check what agency that would be?
At least with AutoEurope even before you get a contract you can pick up the phone and ask an agent. They will tell you what company it is if you don't want to do a search of the addresses.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 02:06 AM

mpkp-
Here is the reply info I received from insurance4carhire.com the only info I did not receive an answer from is whether or not the direct deposit is a must should an accident occur.
Dawn

We will cover you anywhere the car rental company permits you to drive the vehicle. Therefore you can drive in on unpaved roads, in car parks, lanes, by private residences, etc. etc.

This exclusion is intended to exclude cross country driving in specially adapted vehicles.

When you hire a car, the car rental agreement normally includes cover for Third Party, Collision Damage Waiver (damage to the rental vehicle) and theft of the rental vehicle. There is almost always an Excess on the Collision Damage Waiver and Theft portions of the rental, and it is this Excess which our policies cover.

We cover you for:
Excess on damage to the rental vehicle, including the undercarriage and the roof, Excess on theft, and window and tyre damage.
We cover you up to £2,000 for any one incident and up to £3,000 in any one year.
We cover the Policy Holder - who must be the person hiring the car - and all named drivers on the car rental agreement.

We insure the Policy Holder, not the rental vehicle. The Policy covers you at all car rental locations and with all rental companies within the geographic scope of the Policy.

When you collect the car, you should decline the car rental company’s own Excess cover at the counter. If you have any damage to the rental vehicle they will charge your credit card and you claim for reimbursement.

The fact that the car rental company charges your card triggers our Policy and you will be reimbursed in full provided you have adhered to the Terms and Conditions. There is no Excess on our Policies.

We use the current date conversion supplied by our bank, this is handled by our Claims Department
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 06:59 AM

I used https://www.icarhireinsurance.com/ for my car hire excess insurance last time. They were the cheapest I could find on the world wide web and we had no problems with them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -