Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ice skating, sleigh bells- the whole postcard!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm desperate to chase a childhood dream (never experienced in Oz) - Christmas (at least Christmas Eve/Day)in a picturesque town where families skate on a rink in the town square, horse drawn sleighs jingle by, fairylights everywhere, shop windows decorated, huge Christmas tree, carollers chestnuts roasting. Is this achievable? Please tell me where? Or have I been looking at too many postcards and schmaltzy Christmas cards? Please don't disillusion me - tell me I can find this picture perfect scene this Christmas! (obviously I have never been to Europe before!)
Thanks!
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 05:40 AM

Sounds somewhat like Salzberg to me. Have fun. Halfpint
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 05:42 AM

Salzburg!!! That's my dream!!
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 05:44 AM

If you are looking for such a scene to enjoy as a visitor, I think you'd find most, if not all, of what you describe in Salzburg. The town is postcard beautiful. I've heard that each visitor to Salzburg thinks that he has seen it at the most beautiful time of year.

I have visted Salzburg 3 times in late Dec/Jan, and, while there is not always snow, it does indeed look like a storybook at Christmas time. There is an ice rink set up in the center of the old town: http://www2.salzburg.info/newsletter_3753.htm

Nearby there are wonderful horse drawn carriages waiting to give rides, complete with lap blankets.

The shops are lovely, and there is a Christmas market set up for the days leading up to Christmas. Here is a link that lists all of the markets, carol singing, and other Advent/Christmas events:
http://www2.salzburg.info/veranstaltungen_484.htm

For a visitor, Salzburg is enough of a tourist destination that there are things actually open over the actual holiday, such as restaurants. The castle on the hill is open on Christmas - it is a wonderful medieval fortress set above the lovely Baroque town below, with amazing views of the surrounding area. http://www2.salzburg.info/sehenswertes_30.htm

(I just previewed my reply and saw that others posted the suggestion of Salzburg as I was writing this!)
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 05:46 AM

Most of the villages in Austria and Switzerland where you can go skiing will give you the ability to experience what you just described. Look for instance at the little village of Zell: http://tinyurl.com/2hofdd

And there are many more villages like these!
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much all for your prompt replies! While we love our scorching hot summers on the beach in Australia a white Christmas (or at least an icy cold magical one) would be a once in a lifetime dream for this family!
Cheers!
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 07:03 PM

bookmarking
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 05:35 AM

For Noe,
I noticed you had recently replied to this thread and I have been searching your posts to find your Trip Report from Romania with no luck. Would you be kind enough to top this so that I could read it?

seasidesusi,
I apologize for side-tracking your post. Your dream sounds fantastic. I think I've had the very same dream! I hope you find this nirvana and enjoy to the fullest.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 02:22 PM

Brahmama, there's a good reason that you couldn't find my trip report - I've never gotten it finished into Fodor's report form!

Here is a link to my Romanian trip planning thread:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34832950
You will see my itinerary there, and can ask me any questions about particular portions which I will be glad to answer.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 10:00 AM

bookmarking...I'm going to do this one of these years!!
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 10:32 AM

How about Kitzbuhel.