Berlin with Small Children

Old Apr 16th, 2007, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berlin with Small Children

Just curious if anyone has suggestions for activities in Berlin with preschool kids. Also, any side trips outside the city that you would recommend. And last, any thoughts as to visiting other European cities (via train) that aren't too far away. Thanks!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 03:48 AM

The zoo in Berlin is a fun one. Right in the heart of he city.With a Panda even. Michael Jackson took his kids there. Remember that trip?
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 04:33 AM

Yes, agreed, the Berlin Zoo (Zoologischer Garten) will be a first stop for the kids, plus their Aquarium, this is a huge expanse, so it would be an all-day, or multi-day affair.

There is also the "Tiergarten" Park as it is called in German where kids (for centuries) have gone to play, to ride bikes, families have barbecues-it would be an excellent place to go and do a stroll.

You could take the boat, (or the commuter train S-bahn) to the lovely Sans Souci Palace in Potsdam-there are beautiful gardens, fountains, ponds here that the kids would enjoy-the outside is more interesting than the inside-so it would be an interesting and informative outdoors excursion-Sans Souci Palace is a UNESCO heritage site.

A boat ride on the Spree river is excellent-you see a lot of Berlin this way, in a relaxing and entertaining fashion. There's actually a lot to see and learn from the boat trip about Berlin's landmarks-so I would highly recommend this.

There is another large park (Monbijou?) which is geared for children, with a play area and a kid's wading pool.

There's the Fernsehturm (TV Tower)-that would be fun to go up into their revolving restaurant, with its excellent views of the city.

You might want to stop at the famed Stieff shop along the Ku'damm, to get a Stieff teddy bear, or go to the Berliner institution the "Ka De We" department store to look around, they have a huge kid's toy section, and of course their famed food floor.

Perhaps the Deutsches Technikmuseum would be interesting as well, this is a railway museum, with steam engines, locomotives, train cars, and outside there are also things to do and see for kids, like a blacksmith's shop.

Stop in also at the Berlin Tourist Bureau office, they have loads of events going on in Berlin posted every single day on the outside windows-I'm sure they can suggest even more things to do for the kids.

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 03:28 AM

We have just returned from a great week in Berlin with our 2 kids, 4 and 7. we stayed in a great family friendly holiday house just south of Kreuzberg, here's the linkhttp://www.loets.de/berlin/holiday-apartment/holiday-apartment-red-baron.html.
There's so much to do. We went to the zoo where we saw Knut, the famous baby polar bear. Walked in the Tiergarten. Wandered round Prenzlauer Berg and Kreuzberg endlessly, drinking coffee. Went for long rides on the bus 100 and 200 routes, city centre sightseeing for when the kids are tired. Took the tram out east to Weisensee and walked round the lake there. Great playgrounds on every empty scrap of land in Berlin, but our favourite playground was Kollwitzplatz and the Wasserturm close by. We ate lots of ice cream everywhere we went. Our kids favourite thing was going to the top of the Reichstag dome, and here's the best tip: if any member of your party is under 6 you DON'T HAVE TO QUEUE! You go to the disabled entrance to the right of the steps and are whisked to the roof in a lift, your children are given German government pin badges on the way and they are happy for days and tell every one on return that they went to the houses of parliament. It was a real highlight! (It's a truly beautiful building too.)
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 06:42 AM

Thanks for the mini-report, roadtripfamily! Your apartment looks perfect for a family. We loved our week in Berlin (mom and 18 year old daughter)in March. You ate ice cream everywhere, we ate torte! The Reichstag and Wasserturm were favorites of ours also. Did your children bounce on those black square trampolines at the Wasserturm? They sure looked fun. And climbing on the sculpture of Kathe Kollwitz? I couldn't believe how many children were in Prenalauer Berg. I've read that this is the area of the city that has had a little baby boom.

How was seeing Knut? I heard the crowds over Easter weekend were 100,000. He was all over the TV and magazines when we were there - so cute!
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 05:52 AM

Hi Noe
I read your report too, how are your daughter's feet? recovered I hope.
Of course we bounced on the trampolines (all of us!) I have a photo somewhere that I'll try and post.
Seeing cute Knut was far more exciting for the mother in this family than for the children. I was beside myself! There were enormous queues but we weren't about to join them and decided to go instead to the playground where by amazing good chance we had an elevated viewpoint over the heads of the crowds into the Knut kingdom. the kids all played while their parents climbed benches and tree and all went aaaah when Knut appeared.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 10:39 AM

Well, I never would have thought of the playground vantagae point! And standing in the queue wouldn't have been so much fun. We bought the German Vanity Fair magazine with Knut on the cover, and I've been following him on the internet periodically.

I think her feet are improved, but I hope she wears shoes with structure/arch support more often to stave off the huge problems I've had.