Reload this Page >

Everything you need to know about European electricity

Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, it would be well to understand the terminology:

A plug adapter is a mechanical device whose purpose is to adapt North American plugs to foreign sockets. There are many types of foreign sockets, but for travel in Western Europe only two adapters are needed: one with three square prongs for UK sockets, and one with two round pins for Continental sockets. Look at the nameplate of the appliance you want to take to Europe. If it reads "120-240VAC" or a similar list of two voltages, a plug adapter is all you need. If it reads a single voltage such as "117VAC," then you will also need something to change the higher voltage present in Europe to that used by North American devices. Some appliances (particularly the kind that do their job by getting hot) may have a voltage switch that allows it to be used on both sides of the ocean. These, too, only require a plug adapter.

A transformer is the device that should always be used to change voltages for low-wattage appliances such as phones, music and movie players, and portable computers. Make sure that the power rating in watts of the transformer is adequate to the appliance's requirement, which will be found on its nameplate.

For high-power heating appliances such as hair dryers or curling irons, a converter is the correct device to drop down the European voltage. One could theoretically use a large transformer for in this role, but here "large" means "too heavy to carry comfortably." Plugging an electronic appliance such as a radio or handheld game into a converter may cause catastrophic failure of the converter, the appliance, or both.

You can find a complete reference to all of this lore, including a guide to plug adapters, at franzus.com
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:23 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Everything you need to know about European electricity*

OR

*Robespierre gets an "A" in current events!

Thanks for the info.

Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:26 AM

>Everything you ".. but didn't dare to ask"
No the discussion will be "I always use a converter abroad for my ..., now you say it might be catastrophic. This can't be".
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Well, of course it depends upon both devices being switching supplies and how much mismatch resulting from differential switching frequencies is dissipated through the circuitry.

But my warning is a fair one.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:37 AM

A reason they can't be legally used in the EU. Why don't people simply buy the things they need locally. When you can afford $600 for a flight, those 15€ should be within you budget?
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:50 AM

For MOST appliances such as phones, laptops, Ipods etc a transformer is not required, as they come with a transformer built in which which switch over automatically.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:59 AM

I was in Lyon a couple of year's ago, and there was the wallplug which required the two pin adapter BUT there was another pin sticking out of the socket...so the adapter I bought would not work, had to combine adapter with the transformer in order to mechanically be able to connect my stuff.

Seen this before?
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:08 PM

Get s Schuko adapter, this will work.
http://www.inspired-energy.com/Stand...207%20plug.jpg
Since the late 80ties Schukos hava an additional hole, so they work in France too (Hope the link isn't too long..)
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

waring - Look at the nameplate of the appliance you want to take to Europe. If it reads "120-240VAC" or a similar list of two voltages, a plug adapter is all you need. If it reads a single voltage such as "117VAC," then you will also need something to change the higher voltage present in Europe to that used by North American devices.

It is misleading, and potentially dangerous, to generalize. Your statement about MOST appliances being dual-voltage is not useful for keeping ALL people from avoiding calamity.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 03:07 PM

Robespierre,

Because we have gone to the mat on this issue before in the Fodors ring, with no resolve, I wasn't going to post on your thread. However, your last reply prompts me to say that your title Everything you need to know about European electricity is not really "everything."

Your post is OK for starters but you did not mention frequency. I've had my say in the past and won't repeat it.

Old May 22nd, 2007, 03:16 PM

Also, don't forget that every Monday night between midnight and 6:00am electricity's switched off continent-wide as part of the 'green' initiative.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 03:43 PM

And if you wear jeans or white sneakers or use TC as opposed to ATMs - your voltage may vary
Old May 22nd, 2007, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

The hysteresis loss going from 60 to 50 Hz is negligible - and accounted for in modern multi-voltage appliances. With switching supplies it is exactly zero.

This is not information that consumers need to have (unless they've brought a synchronous clock along for some bizarre reason).
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:43 PM

LOL
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:03 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I was going to thank you so much for being (I'm pretty sure) the first person ever to use the word hysteresis in a Fodors thread.

But then I checked... you used it in a post in 2005. Well, congratulations anyway.

Transconductance. There.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:37 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Robespierre - The newer converters are step down which have a high/low switch (now automatic not manual) that handle from 0 - 2000 watts and can be used with many low wattage appliances (curling irons, cd player, radios>see Franzus link below<, etc.) and high wattage appliances (hair dryers,etc.). Weight is about 13 oz.

The old converters didn't have high/low switches and wouldn't work with curling irons. When I had this type years ago (50-1600w), I could use my hair dryer (not dual voltage)with it, but not my curling iron. Curling irons are lower watt (my current one is 90 - older one was less) and hair dryers are high (mine is 1875). I know you guys don't curl your hair much so wouldn't know about curling irons.

http://www.franzus.com/Merchant2/mer...=FOS&Screen=UE

When my daughter lived in Spain last year she used a 4in1 plug adaptor (not converter)with a built-in surge protector. It was made by Franzus but marketed under the name of Travelwise.

Most adapter/converters/transformers are made by Franzus, but marketed under other names - TravelSmart - TravelWise - Concourse, etc.

Now is the time that Logos chimes in that all these devices are illegal and we are burning down Europe.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:28 PM

>Now is the time that Logos chimes in that all these devices are illegal and we are burning down Europe.

All these devices ARE illegal and YOU are burning down Europe. Have fun walking through the ruins! If you survive, your insurance company won't pay. Better die in the fire, it saves you trouble
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:33 PM

I believe we're finished here? Thanks Robespierre! Now everybody remember to post a link to this thread everytime someone asks this same question.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:28 AM

It is possible to either change or attach local wall plugs to appliance power cords. Buy plugs at a hypermarket electrical department. Current transformers are another matter.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:38 AM

What about Switzerland???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -