Scotland Trip Report...

Search

Scotland Trip Report...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland Trip Report...

Two weeks in Scotland and I want to go back…
My family and I have just returned from a great visit in Scotland. It is an absolutely beautiful country and just full of friendly people. We landed at EDI and drove to Bridge of Allan. Noe, I did not get into the Butcher’s shop you recommended (bank holiday) but I did eat steak pie and it was delicious. We visited the Falkirk Wheel, Stirling Castle, and the Wallace Monument. We stayed our first two nights at the Kilronan Guest House with Colin and Linda George. I would recommend it to anyone.

We headed toward Glencoe Pass but stopped off at Balquidder to see the Rob Roy gravesite. I promised a friend we would bring back pictures. It was a fun side trip.
Glencoe was absolutely breathtaking even in the rain. We stayed one night at the Corran Inn midway between Glencoe and Ft. William. The Inn is located on the slipway to Corran Ferry. We rode over and back on the ferry just to get some pictures.

We headed to Mallaig for the ferry over to Skye. What a drive. We stopped at the monument to Bonnie Prince Charlie near Glenfinnan. We drove up to Portree on the Isle of Skye where we stayed at the Ben Tianavaig B&B for three nights. I wish we could have stayed longer. Gill and David Cudworth are the owners they run the friendliest place that we have ever seen. We hiked to the Old Man of Storr, met many wonder and friendly people. We did the tour at the Talisker Distillery. We visited Dunvegan Castle and drove around the northern part of the island. Skye is my kind of place; I can only wonder how it is in the winter time.

From Skye, we traveled to Ullapool to stay at the Dromnan Guesthouse. It is a very well run and comfortable B&B, my son loved their flat screen TV and digital satellite. I enjoyed their wireless internet. We took to cruise out to the Summer Isles. It was a fascinating trip with a visit to Tanera Mor Island. We also visited the Corrieshalloch Gorge for some great pictures from the swinging bridge.

We headed to Nairn, just north and west of Inverness for two nights. We stayed at the Invernairne Guesthouse on the beach of the Moray Firth. It was very comfortable and the owners have refurbished this old hotel. We visited Fort George in the cold rain. We decide after a bit, that Cawdor Castle might be better for the weather. It was my favorite castle of the trip. The next day we were off to Dromnadrochit for a short cruise on Loch Ness to take pictures of Uruquart Castle and a drive out to Glen Affric. Glen Affric was absolutely the most remote and beautiful place.

From Nairn, we drove down to Edinburgh for three nights at the Apartment By Castle. It was a wonderful place for three tourists to stay. We walked the Royal Mile (more than once), visited Holyrood Palace, the Britannia, Mary King’s Close and on our last day, took a train out to St. Andrews to watch the World Amateur Tournament on the Old Course.

We met many wonderful, friendly and interesting people. Once we got over the language barrier, heh, we found that two weeks is not enough. What a trip!
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:12 PM

I'm glad you liked it. Good trip, sounds like!
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:16 PM

Ah, takes me back to our Scotland trip two years ago. (Also planned with a lot of posts from Sheila, who I remembered when I saw her reply above.) DH and I, also loved Skye and the country in general. Can't wait to return someday!
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:20 PM

Don't wait, then

book a ticket today.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:27 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh - I'm so glad it all worked out so well. I remember your first shot at a plan - weren't you trying to fit in York and other places??

Too bad about the weather at Ft George - that really is a place you need fine weather to explore.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Janisj:
Yes, we were looking to see York, and Hadrian's wall. Thanks to you and others, we limited this trip to Scotland. We are glad we did. I don't think this will be our last trip to either place. And, about the weather...we did not let it stop us. There are lots of things to see and do. Thanks for your help. This is one trip we will not forget.
Sheila:
Thanks for your many posts on this board. My family began to ask me "what do the ladies of Fodors" say about this or that. You guys are always spot on. You all made this a most enjoyable trip.

d1

PS: "the gentlemen of Fodors" whatever the case may be. Tehe
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 01:00 PM

d1carter, loved your trip report. It's great to get a report when you've seen the trip planning. You did some off the beaten path things, and really made the most of your time there.

How fun to see a shout out your report! You'll just have to get those steak pies on the next visit (we ALL know there will be one).

I'm so glad that you made it to Glen Affric. It's a very special place. One year we stayed in Tomich for 2 nights and got such a great taste of the solitude and power of the glen. We hiked back into the glen and saw not one other person. The little post office in Tomich is open for a few hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays only, iirc. The bookmobile visited when we were there.

I think that it always rains in Glen Coe - it merely adds to the atmosphere that hangs over the glen, imo.

I certainly wouldn't put myself as one of the "ladies of Fodor's" but I am female
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 01:37 PM

Sounds like you had fun!

3 days to go for me! I can't contain myself!
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 02:19 PM

We're on our way soon for three nights in Portree and three nights in Edinburgh (at Apartment by Castle) ourselves, so your report was especially exciting to me. Did the midges give you much trouble? Any particular advice (things I wish I'd known; things I found out the hard way) to impart to other first-timers getting ready to follow in your footsteps?
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Amelie:
I am a little jealous. Have fun, you are going to love it. All the best.

Crazy4Hawaii:
Look for our comments in the Vistor's book at the ABC. My best advice is to slow down, talk to people, ask questions about them and their families. Ask about pronunciations, admit that you haven't a clue. Get lost, have fun. All the best.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Noe:
Thanks for all your advice. Glen Affric is a special place. It is off the beaten path. We tried to do a taste of many things but we met so many nice people everywhere we went.
And we do know there is still more to see and do in Scotland.
All the best.
d1
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Crazy4Hawaii:
We did meet the midges, but they were really no problem for us. We were outside most of each day and evening, but it really depends on where you are and wind conditions. Everyone there recommended Avon's Skin So Soft or regular bug repellant. We did not use anything. Could be the time of year. Have a great time.
d1
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 04:52 AM

d1carter - We have just returned also and feel the way you do. This was our 3rd trip in 4 years. We drove the reverse, staying in upon arriveal in Perthshire (stunning)and driving counter clockwise. We visited the beautiful Isle of Mull for 2 nights visiting Duart Castle and Iona. Yes, it did rain for 4 1/2 days out of the 14 but you just get on with it.
Cawdor Castle was our favorite also, and the gardens and grounds are breathtaking. The Applecross drive (counter clockwise) was breathtaking and hairy. We loved the Torridon area, and the little town of Shielbeg. This was our rest stop and the sun was shining, and we stayed longer than we planned. The fighter jets on manoeuvers from Lossiemouth were flying very low over this area, this was truly a site.
We encountered truly wonderful people on this trip..not to mention that my better half lost his wallet on a rainy Saturday in Tobermory including 800 pounds and a passport. The good people at Highland Cottage reported it to the police, whilst we cancelled all credit cards, etc. The next day as we were on our way to Edinburgh and we received a call on our Roadpost cell phone (highly recommended) and it was a Tobermory policeman...they found the wallet, everything in tact. We returned to Oban again, took the ferry back to Craignure and 2 wonderful StrathClyde officers presented us with the wallet as we walked off the ferry.
Sorry, for droning on, but we were so moved by this gesture, and still are. All I can say is we will be returning yet again.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 08:19 AM

We will be on our way at the beginning of July - I am interested in the Roadpost cell phone that celticmoon mentioned - is this something you can rent? I'm a little worried about being out of touch on all the little roads.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 08:30 AM

Your trip sounds absolutely enchanting! I can't believe I have to wait until September to go. I haven't heard of Glen Affric - how far is it from Urquhart Castle?
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:30 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Glen Urquhart runs west from Urquhart Castle/Drumnadrochit to Canninch and theer sort of intersects w/ Glen Affric

A guesstimate from Drumnadrichit to Cannich is about 10-11 miles and the road from there through Glen Affric is about the same or maybe a mile or two farther. So from Urquhart thru Glen Affric to the lodge is probably 25 miles total.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

lifeofmytime:
janisj is right on the money, but it is that last half that is one track road that is a treat to drive. My teenage son kept thinking that we had a made a wrong turn and that we driving up someone's long driveway. It is absolutely beautiful out there. There is a car park at the end of the tarmac road and on the day we were there it was full. Do you need a guide for that September trip? Just kidding. Your going to love it. All the best.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

JulieAA:
We have Cingular cells and we just got the International Roaming feature. We kept our same phones and same numbers. The calls are expensive ($1.29)a minute, I think. But we didn't use the phones that much on holiday. That's one of the reasons went go on holiday. We limited my teenage son's calls to girlfriend. But your right, a cell is handy to have to call ahead to B&B's and just in case. I really don't know about the Roadpost phones. There are bunches of threads on phones. Enjoy! All the best.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 11:04 AM

bookmarking
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 11:37 AM

lifeofmytime, that 25 miles is slooow to drive, especially the single track part. You will want to be pulling over for pictures also! One time we were driving along and got forced off the track by an oncoming car who didn't stop or slow. We got stuck in the mud, but were able to push ourselves out. You'll see a few cars on the road, but if you hike you'll likely have the path to yourselves.

Glen Affric is a forest preserve and I think the largest stand of virgin/regenerated Scots pines in Scotland (most was cleared for agriculture/sheep farming) and it really feels <i>primeval</i> - the way Scotland likely looked thousands of years ago.
http://www.nnr-scotland.org.uk/reserve.asp?NNRId=17

If I get a chance, I'll try to upload some of my Glen Affric pictures, and post the link here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -