Where to stay in Killarney

Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Killarney

We are planning our trip to Ireland this autumn, arriving Sept 30, and departing Oct 7. This is a first trip for all four of us.

After much discussion, we have decided to use Killarney as a base for 3 or 4 days of our trip. Looking for recommendations on where to stay. We are interested in B&B or Guesthouse accommodations.

One book I am reading recommended Murphys Guesthouse. It is located over the pub. I think that could work for us since we certainly plan on spending our evenings in pubs. Has anyone stayed there? Would you do it again?

What other recommendations do you have in Killarney?

Thanks!
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 09:28 AM

gande,

If you don't get a reply here, try these web-sites:

IrelandYes

IrelandExpert

Good Luck
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 11:51 AM

GandE-
I have a few places listed to stay in Killarney. We recently stayed at Ross Castle House B&B- it's about a 20 min. walk into town. The others I have listed here are ones I have found here in the past as reccomendations and have kept for future as I like to change it up.

http://www.carrigleahouse.com/

http://www.crystalspringsbb.com/facilities.html

http://indigo.ie/~fullerj/index.htm

Also...here is what I wote as a review recently on my April trip to Ross Castle House along with their website...

Ross Castle Lodge B&B 35E pp
Ross Road, Killarney http://killarneyb-and-b.com/RossPage1.htm
353 64 36942 pps: Dennis & Rosaleen O’Leary
This was a more built for B&B and everything was perfect! Our room was VERY large with a huge king bed as well as a single across the vast room along with a wall length chifforobe and seating area. The big bathroom was nice and had shelving to place your toiletries. Extremely clean and freshened daily. (other rooms vary in size but are unique and lovely and I could have stayed in any of the ones I had seen!)
Breakfast was great and you had your choice of times and items from a menu that you were asked to fill out sometime before bed. I always chose the traditional breakfast but there was also fruit compote, porridge, pancakes as well as a sideboard of juice, cereal and yogurt. Coffee was french press. The breakfast room and seating area was lovely and everything was grand- inside and out
Rosaleen is a gem and is willing to set up whatever itinerary or tour to your convenience and each room comes armed with a handmade book of things to do morning, noon and nighttime pubs too. She spent some time with us and we had a grand time!

Here's the link to my trip report if you are interested in what we did in Killarney-
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=35030520

Good luck!
Dawn
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 11:55 AM

oops! that "indigo" link did not post well and it is for Friar's Glen B&B inside the national park- lemme try again or you can just copy and paste it into your browser-
http://indigo.ie/~fullerj/index.htm
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 12:07 PM

Friars Glen: http://www.friarsglen.ie/
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, 12perfectdays, for your information and review. Ross Castle House looks spectacular! We are looking at so many different places, we are just making ourselves crazy!

Would love to hear from someone on the Murphy's Bar property. Not sure I want to do it without a recommendation.

Your itinerary will be very helpful for us too. Glad to get your input on the "coach" tour of ROK. The reason we decided to do this trip on our own rather than a tour was because we wanted to be able to stop when we wanted, to take as much time as we liked.

I'll check those other links. My sister has probably already looked at all of them. She has been glued to the computer doing research for days!

When we went to Alaska a few years ago, we were blessed the the wonderful weather you had in Ireland. I bought a rain suit to take with me, and was able to leave the tags on it and return it to the store when we got back. Never used it. It was in the 80's the day we arrived!
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 12:08 PM

We stayed at Beaufort House which is 10 minutes outside Killarney in the village of Beaufort. It is a holiday home where you can rent one of the cottages or the main house. The main house has four bedrooms each with bath, large kitchen, living room, dining room and library. There are four cottages, (4 bedroom, 3 bedroom, and two 2 bedrooms) each with a kitchen and large sitting room and laundr facilities. It was a perfect locaton for touring. www.beaufortireland.com
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 01:44 AM

We/ve stayed at Crystal Springs B&B which Dawn has given the website for.
It was in 2001 with my dh, myself and 8 friends....everyone loved it...rooms all different sizes....great breakfast!!

I would usually not recommend staying above a pub. Sometimes, after the pub closes a group may move outside and continue on with the craic (fun)....it may or may not happen....I just would not want to take a chance....I am a night person but after a day of touring around I need my rest!
Shadow
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 10:08 AM

GandE.

I just read a wonderful post about B&B Etiquette on IrelandYes by Michele Erdvig. Why not read it and do look at her list of accommodations. Also, as I said before, IrelandExpert by Pat Preston is also a good site.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 06:43 PM

Here's a link to the Guide that Joan mentioned:

http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spa...picID=12840639

Bob
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 10:25 PM

Bob,

I wish I knew how to do that. It's magic to me.

Joan
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 03:09 AM

Just returned from Ireland a week ago and stayed at Crystal Springs in Killarney. It was very nice, sitting along the Flesk River with a deck to relax on over the river. The rooms were very nice (with flat screen LCD TV) and the breakfast was wonderful.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the advice. This is the first opportunity I've had in a while to check back here. And, the link to the B&B tips is very good! Much of it is common sense, but you never know!