3 days in Ireland

Old Jul 26th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 days in Ireland

Hi All!

My girlfriend and I and our 4 grown children will be going to Ireland this Thanksgiving. We arrive in Dublin on Thursday morning and leave from Dublin on Sunday midday. I was just in Dublin in April and also went to Kilkenny. I would like to go to Galway for the first day, one other destination for the second day and end up in Dublin for Saturday. I would love some suggestions for where to go and stay for this very short time. Also would it be better to take a train or rent a car (that could hold six). Any suggestions on where to rent a car that size would be appreciated
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 06:24 AM

Galway and back from Dublin in one day is a LOT of driving and not really worth it. You could take the train but it's three hours each way, and the trains are pretty primitive on that line, so you might reconsider. Alternatively you could drive to Galway one day and return the next day - while tiring, that might leave you enough time to see Connemara.

Alternatively you could see some sights around Dublin. For a day trip, Newgrange, to the north, is well worth seeing, and you could drive on to Carlingford, near the border for a nice lunch or dinner. Towards the south you could go to Glendalough and drive around Wicklow taking in the Blessington Lakes and the Wicklow Gap and maybe visiting gardens like Mount Ussher and Powerscourt. If you don't feel like driving then you could go on a bus tour.

Taking those two tours would also leave time for sightseeing in Dublin as well - ensuring that you won't be to exhausted after your short trip!
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 07:51 AM

Here are the top 10 tourist attractions in Ireland with the number of yearly visitors in thousands: Guinness Storehouse, Dublin (781), National Gallery, Dublin (779), Cliffs of Moher,Co Clare (761), Dublin Zoo (746), Book of Kells,Dublin (530),Museum of Modern Art,Dublin (420), Blarney Castle, Co. Cork (386),St Patrick`s Cathedral,Dublin (328), Bunratty Castle, Co. Clare (317) and Waterford Crystal (315). There is no entry fee for the National Gallery or the Museum of Modern Art.I have seen them all except the Guinness Storehouse.I found them all worthwhile visits but Killarney National Park would be my first choice,followed by Newgrange.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 11:20 AM

Are you arriving in Dublin from the US on Thursday morning? If so, you will quite possibly have to deal with jet lag. Also, if you are arriving from the US, you will have to factor in some time to clear through immigration/passports (about 30-40 minutes for us on a late night arrival) and customs (no time at all). Then you will need to allow for some time to arrange the car rental pickup (about 30-45 minutes for us on the morning after our arrival).

We rented a car for 6 through Auto Europe (they are a broker, the actual car was rented from Europecar). It wound up being a VW Caravalle 9 passenger bus. Nice in that it had lots of room, but it was really uncomfortable to drive on the smaller roads (the ones that are just over a one car width with foliage covered stone walls on each side).

As far as driving time goes, the larger roads (highways) were fantastic and the driving time was comparable to that on a US expressway. Once you are off the highways however, your driving time will increase exponentially (search here for other posts on determining driving time).

Given the possible jet lag and your time period, perhaps you might consider driving to Galway on Thursday and seeing whatever you are up to. See anything else that you wanted to in Galway on Friday morning. Make the drive to the Doolin/ Lisdoonvarna area of Co. Clare. Use whatever time you have left on Friday and the Morning on Saturday to explore the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren area. Make the return Drive to Dublin Saturday afternoon.

You mention that your flight out on Sunday is midday. If it is a transatlatic flight, you will need to be at the airport 2-3 hours before your departure, which may not leave you any real time in Dublin.

This is just one possible option, I'm sure the many well travelled fodorites can suggest others.

Enjoy your visit to such a beautiful country!
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 11:57 PM

Just a suggestion but...
Thursday morning-
arrive Duiblin airport and take the Citylink bus to Galway- faster than a bus to Dublin to catch a train. Use this day to explore Galway city after arrival
http://www.citylink.ie/

sleep in a B&B on College Road, within walking distance to City Centre. We stayed at Ardawn House and loved it-
http://www.galway.net/pages/ardawn-house/

Friday- (stop in T.I. (tourist information on Thursday before closing to set this up)
Either do a bus tour of Connemara, a bus tour to the Burren or a bus to ferry to Inismor (Aran Island)- they also can set you up for a hopper flight to the Island and I've heard the view is spectacular.
(my choice woiuld be Aran)
http://www.aerarannislands.ie/

http://www.aranislandferries.com/

http://www.lallytours.com/tourcon.html

http://www.lallytours.com/tourbur.html

Saturday:
Train to Dublin City Centre from Galway

we had a great room at a fantastic price for The Paramount Hotel in Temple Bar (the website is below but our savings came from hotels.com)I will also tell you that it can get loud on the weeklend, wear earplugs- it is Temple Bar. You can also request the 5th floor. Large room, clean, great shower, big bathroom.
http://www.lallytours.com/tourbur.html

Just an idea for you and you wouldn't have to get a van or two cars- no need for one if you tour from Galway.

Good luck!
Dawn

Old Jul 27th, 2007, 09:08 AM

mds46,

I like 12perfectdays itinerary and mode of transportation she listed for you. You'll have a more relaxing time not having to worry about driving.

Joan