Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can you tell me about the area around Euston Station? Is it really bad as an area to stay?

Search

Can you tell me about the area around Euston Station? Is it really bad as an area to stay?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are booked at the Thistle Euston hotel. we got a really good price, but now I am hearing bad things about the area. (Also about the hotel.) we may be stuck with it, but i would love opinions. if it is bad enough we could eat the cancel charges!
Thanks!!!
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 06:16 AM

I've stayed several times at the IBIS right by the station and though this is not the most exciting part of town it's not seedy and have no worry.

It's actually a short walk from British Museum and only about a mile or so from the heart of tourist London around Trafalgar Square
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your quick response...any input like yours makes me feel better!
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 06:21 AM

I've stayed at B&Bs a short walk from the station (Cartwright Gardens), as above, it's OK and a decent location for access to central London.
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 06:33 AM

It's OK. I used to work there (well in Robert St which is the other side of the road).

It's not a great area - ie there's nothing much to do in the immediate area, but it's OK.

You are a short walk from Mornington Crescent (home of the famous game) and Camden Town (which has limited appeal to the over 30s IMHO).

Go the other way on Hampstead Rd and yopu're at Warren St and the top of Tottenham Court Rd

The number 24 bus is your friend - it will take you right into the heart of town.

There's also a shop in eversholt St which dresses men up as women - so something for all tastes.
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 07:29 AM

it is o.k. - not the most central but London is so big it is hard to be near ALL attractions ( nearby is the National Library - not to be missed).
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 07:31 AM

I think that area is absolutely fine. I have used Euston station many times and never had a problem arriving or departing at night when on my own. Madame Tussaud's just along the Marylebone Rd and Regents Park not too far away. British Library is aloso weorh a visit.
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 07:42 AM

There are some great Indian restaurants on Drummond St, near Euston station.
Not fancy, but good, honest and great value.
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 10:40 AM

I often used to walk down Cardington St and past the Ibis and the Thistle. It runs alongside Euston Station, and the two hotels are either side of a former churchyard converted into a little park. Going on round Cardington St past the Thistle to Hampstead Road you pass some buildings that (a couple of years ago) were awaiting some sort of refurbishment or development and looked (then) very sad: I've no idea what they're like now, but they looked a bit depressing, and that might be what led to the reports you've had.

It's not a street that goes anywhere much or has much through traffic, so it may seem a bit deserted. But it is very well situated for public transport (both tube at Euston and buses direct to many of the main tourist sights), plenty of restaurants round one corner along Drummond St, more if you walk up the main road towards Camden Town.

Old Nov 16th, 2007, 10:51 AM

We have stayed in that area and it was ok. We were never afraid, and we like to eat at the North Sea Fish House. We were 4 ladies.
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 05:14 PM

Oh, do see the British Library. The Special Documents Room is one of my favorite things I've ever done in London.

I also like North Sea Fish.
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for the helpful information. i am going to have to try North Sea Fish. And the Library!
I have managed to get tickets to the Terra Cotta Warriors exhibit at the British Museum, so this should be a great trip.
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 08:53 AM

Rather drab area, but safe enough.
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 04:08 AM

It’s not such a bad area. I echo what others have posted. In addition, It’s also near Goodge Street and Charlotte Street, which both have many restaurants to suit most tastes. Euston Road itself is dull and non-descript but not particularly nasty. It will be very quiet at night as it’s not a residential street, so this does give it a slightly intimidating feel late at night. Do try the new Wellcome Trust Gallery if you are interested in something a little bit different. (art with a medical/scientific twist)

http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/whatson/exhibitions/

jim
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Well..after returning I want to say that the area isn't all that bad, but it is way too remote. And depressing. Worth the money to stay more central.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 08:04 AM

well said!
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 08:21 AM
ron

Just to give us a value context, how much did you pay at the Thistle Euston, and how much more would you pay to stay someplace more central with similar quality?
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 08:38 AM

We stayed at the Thistle Euston for 5 nights back in 2002 and the area was fine. We were very close (only a few minutes) walk from Euston Station, which made it very convenient. There wasn't much to do on the street that the hotel is located on but with the station so close you can easily get around. I admit that it wasn't the most central location, but the price was right (we had a package flight/hotel price through American Airlines).

Tracy