Search

Keukenhof logistics

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keukenhof logistics

Some questions ...

1. What is the best bus/rail route from Amsterdam to the Keukenhof?

2. Roughly how much time should I allocate to the garden? (I'm guessing about 3.5 hours.)

3. How would you spend the remainder of the day? (I was thinking of the Molenmuseum de Valk and the Hortus Botanicus in Leiden).

Thank you.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 12:03 PM

We went there on a 1/2 day tour, and I'm sure we spent maybe 2 hours there, and that was fine. We might try going back to ride bikes in the area, so I made a note of how to get there by public transportation:
(the commentary is from the source who wrote the information)

How to get to main entrance (Hoofdingang) of Keukenhof from Amsterdam:

From Amsterdam: use a train to any of these towns or enquire about direct day tours by bus

* From Leiden: Bus 54 (Keukenhof Express) goes directly to Keukenhof
The train ride was quite short if I remember correctly (15 minutes?)...time flew as we peered out the windows trying to catch sight of as many fields in bloom as we could! Haha We arrived at Leiden and bought tickets for the bus trip (return ticket) outside the station almost right next to the bus loop. The bus trip itself was probably 15 minutes. It drops you off right outside Keukenhof gates. When you're done you simply go back outside and catch the first but that you see. We didn't have to wait but I imagine that if you did it wouldn't be too long.

From Haarlem:
Bus 50 and 51 pass Keukenhof (to Vrieswijk, then walk 10 minutes)

From Lisse:
Bus 57 runs to Keukenhof
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 12:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
We went via train to Leiden and then direct bus to the Gardens. It couldn't have been easier.

We expected to only be there a couple hours, but stayed over 5 hours, and still didn't see everything. I was unexpectedly thrilled by what I saw and really enjoyed our time there.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 12:19 PM

jmf314159-

I have personally not been yet, but plan to visit the gardens at the end of next month.

Hopefully this information that other Fodorites have passed along to me will help you as well.

From Amsterdam, you take the train to Leiden. Right outside the station, there are buses [bus no. 54] that go directly to the entrance of the Keukenhof.

Also if you are interested, my Lonely Planet guide book says that the Netherlands Railways sells a ticket for 17 euros which includes the entrace fee for the gardens and the fee for the bus from Leiden to the gardens.

Your estimation on how much time should be spent at the gardens seems sufficient. I have also heard many who have stayed for 5 hours.

Make sure to check Keukenhof's site [www.keukenhof.nl] for additional information.

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 12:23 PM

These buses from Leiden run incessantly it seemed when i was there - one gets full another rolls up so the wait should not be long ever it seemed

the Netherlands rail combined admission and transport a cafe mentions is a good deal.

I would avoid weekends if possible - i went on a Sunday and the place, not all that big, was very mobbed with lines to get into what to me seemed to be the highlights - the glasshouses sponsored by flower growers and specializing in different varieties
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

a_cafe_of_dreams,

It seems as if we could well find ourselves at the garden on the same day. We arrive in Amsterdam on Saturday, April 26th, and I'm seriously considering Tuesday, April 29th. I wanted to avoid the weekend for the reason made clear by PalenQ, and Monday because the Museums in Leiden will be closed. Wednesday, of course, is Queen's Day and I suspect public transportation will be a mess.

So Tuesday seems the earliest day available for our pilgrimage. This raises another question: will there be much difficulty getting back to our Amsterdam B&B Tuesday evening? I understand the Queens Day partying starts the preceding night.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 02:47 PM

jmf314159-

I will actually be arriving in Amsterdam the Tuesday you are considering going to the gardens. Considering it's my first trip to Europe, I'm sure I will just be adjusting from the jet lag.

Then, as you said, Wednesday is Queen's Day.

I'm hoping to actually go the following day.

I've done quite a few "Queen's Day" searches in the forums to gain some more insight on the holiday. You may want to do a similar search and see if anyone had problems with transportation the day prior to Queen's Day. I imagine that as long as it is not too late in the day, you will be fine.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 02:59 PM

We really enjoyed our visit to the Molen de Valk, which is just a quick walk from the Leiden train station. I would allow about 45 minutes to an hour (give or take, depending on your interest) to tour the windmill.

If I recall correctly, there are seven floors in the molen - the last three accessible by a very steep staircase/ladder.

The first floor served as the residence for the molen keeper, and is decorated to time period.

There is an area on the 2nd or 3rd floor where you can sit and watch a video about molens and polders. There's a lot of interesting facts, figures and artifacts posted throughout the 7 floors.

The 3rd or 4th floor has access to the deck that runs around the outside of the windmill, which also affords a wonderful view of the Leiden cityscape. If your lucky, you'll be there when the sails are turning. For me, the gentle <i>whoosh</i> sound invoked a quixotic fantasy of slaying dragons.

We spent a little bit of time wandering around Leiden, but didn't make it to the Hortus Botanicus (I think they were closed when we were there). It's over 400 years old - I believe one of the oldest in Europe. So I would be interested in your observations, if you do have the opportunity to visit.

We did have a chance to explore the Burcht, which are the remains of a fortress, built on top of an artificial mound (a hill in Holland?). There really wasn't a whole lot to see, but it was a very quiet space in the middle of the town (I think we were the only ones there), and it does have a bit of a view overlooking the canals/rivers that flow below.

Robyn &gt;-

Old Mar 17th, 2008, 11:54 PM

From Schiphol airport there also is a regular busservice to Keukenhof.
From Amsterdam there are many trains to Schiphol airport.
Check for all information about Keukenhof, directions etc.
http://www.keukenhof.nl/
You can easily spend 3-4 hours over there.
Try and rent a bike (weather-depending), which is the nicest way to see more of the flowerfields.
If you buy one way traintickets (and a strippenkaart for the bus at the same time), on the way back you can take a bus back to haarlem, spend some time there and again by train from Haarlem to Amsterdam.
If over 65 buy a &quot;rose&quot; strippenkaart&quot;.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 07:02 AM

I went in 2005; it was one of the highlights of my trip to the Netherlands. Keukenhof was amazing. I stayed quite a few hours because of the sheer beauty on a mass scale. I frequently go to Kew gardens in London, Longwood and the New York Botanical gardens but I do not think anything is as beautiful as Keukenhof. If you want to buy bulbs buy them there it is much more expensive from the US (I know the US has gotten stricter bringing in agricultural products) I have pictures but don’t know if they are viewable looking at them again makes me envious you. Have a great time and please post pictures!

Leiden is also a nice little University town.

http://www2.snapfish.com/editownedal...2/t_=103598535
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 09:03 AM

Would there be something to see at Keukenhof in late May?
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 09:12 AM

www.keukenhof.nl

i think after the Apr-early May spectacular the place is closed

but check the site

recently at times they have had a late summer show
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 10:30 AM

I visited it from Leiden also. The bus service TO Keukenhof was fast and efficient. On the way back to Leiden, however, there was quite a wait, about 45 minutes (this was a week-day in mid April). I was surprised at the length of the wait.
Leiden is a pleasant, attractive down, we've visited it on other occasions and like to sit outside the cafes, enjoying a beer or wine, watching the boats cruise up and down the canals and deciding which boat we'd like to own.