Venice over the New Year

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 01:17 AM
shengyang

Venice over the New Year

I have a chance to get away to Venice for a week over New Year's. I have always wanted to go, but is this the time of year to do it?

Will the acqua alta ruin the experience? And are there any festivities over New Year's - fireworks etc?

Thanks
Shengyang

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 07:50 AM
Janice

Aqua alta tends to be more of a problem in November - although nobody promises that it won't happen at New Years! They have fireworks from Piazza San Marco out over the basin between there and Santa Maria Della Salute, and looks like lots of private parties in restaurants etc. But the city is beautiful that time of year, hazy/foggy and very romantic, and not terribly crowded. I highly recommend it - I was there last year and I'm going back this year!

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 07:59 PM
shengyang

Thanks Janice

I have managed to reserve a week's stay over the New Year holiday at the Gritti for the not-too-stratospheric price of 825,000 a night (price for 6 nights includes a free 7th night). I figure US$400 a night is what I would pay in New York for a decent hotel, so why not splurge in Venice. Are there any alternatives that are significantly better value for money over New Year's?

What I need now is to make some plans for dinner on New Year's Eve. Antico Martini has a website advertising a New Year's meal, but is there better food to be had elsewhere?

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 06:05 AM
Marija

If you like seafood I recommend Corte Sconta and Alle Testiere. We've eaten at Corte Sconta three times (the last time several weeks ago) and can't wait to return. It's our favorite Venetian restaurant. Make sure to order the multi-course seafood antipasto. Alle Testiere also has superb seafood. We thought the food at both of these places was better than at Da Fiore and Fiaschetteria Toscana. I was not impressed by the food at Antico Martini the couple of times we ate there, though the restaurant is more elegant than either Corte Sconta or Alle Testiere.

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 06:34 PM
Dona

Shengyang,

I'm envious that you're spending NY Eve in Venice - I was there a few years ago for New Year's Eve and it was magical! I liked it better than Carnivale since there were fewer crowds and the weather (some fog, snow, rain - and sun - make the city magical with the sky turning pink at night). And don't worry about Acqua Alta - I've been there 6 times and it's not been an issue at all.

IN addition to the Gritti, I like the Europa and Regina - but the Gritti is wonderful!

Have a great time!

Dona

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 05:32 AM