Search

shots?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2005, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shots?

What shots are REALLY needed for a trip to BKK and Phuket? I know that Hep A, B, and Typhoid have been discussed, but wondering if this is overkill? I would like to get Hep A at least, but my doc says it's $70, so i'm curious what the majority of visitors do, thanks!
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 12:54 PM

Jacqui,
The way I look at vaccinations is that they're like insurance.

You could drive your car for years and not have an accident, but would you say that you REALLY didn't need insurance and that it was overkill?

Probably you could go to Thailand without getting sick at all, but if you DID happen to be unlucky and were exposed to Hepatitis or Typhoid (which is certainly possible), I'd say you REALLY needed the immunizations.

I personally would protect myself against that possibility.

I recommend looking at the CDC website:
http://www.cdc.gov/travel/vaccinat.htm
and talking to your doctor, and making an informed decision based on the advice from those sources.

P.S. If you can afford a trip to Thailand, my guess is that paying $70 won't break you.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 02:42 PM

I agree that the cost of the vaccination is a bit high - I encountered the same thing for my trip.

I was referred to a clinic that specifically deals with travel shots and was looking at:
$45 office visit,
$78 for Hep A,
$70 for Hep B, and
$70 for Typhoid
($263 total).

On a suggestion from a friend I contacted the local heath department's clinic about travel shots and found that I can show up and pay
$39 for Hep A,
$44 for Hep B, and
$56 for Typhoid without an office visit fee
($114 total).
The hours are not as convenient, but I figure that is a small price to pay.

Hopefully you can find something similar where you are - just leaves more money for Thailand experiences!
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 04:17 PM

Not sure if this is still the case, but when I got my Hep A shots, it had to be done in a series of 3 shots at least one month apart. Hope you're planning ahead!
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 04:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Hep A is now done in 2 shots, the second between 6 months and one year after the initial shot. The combination of the two shots gives you protection for 10 years.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 04:35 PM

I've never taken any for Bangkok or Chiangmai area. The only time I've taken them was for Ghana in Dec 2003/Jan 2004 because I had to take at least one. Before then, I traveled for nearly 30 years without shots. Happy Travels!
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 04:43 PM

According to the CDC website, Hepatitis A is the most common vaccine-preventable infection acquired during travel.

With the Hepatitis A vaccine, 94 - 100% of adults will be protected within 1 month after receiving the first dose. The second dose ensures long-term protection.

If you're planning a trip and receive just one dose a month before your trip, you should be protected.

(You should still go back and get the second dose 6 months later.)
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

yes that's what my doc told me...getting it one mo before would be sufficient. first she had to test me for hep a in case i had unknowingly ever had it..so i ended up having to have blood taken...ugh wasn't ready for that! if it's negative, i get to pay $70 to get a hep a shot..woo hoo! It does seem to make a lot of sense though..thank u for all the posts!
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 05:33 PM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
There is also a shot available called Twinrex that includes both Hep A and Hep B in the same shot. You need three doses. The second one a month after the first, and the third one six months later.
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 04:59 AM
sandi

You can get Hep A anywhere, you don't have to be traveling out of the States. Hep B is mostly recommended for anyone likely to come in contact with indigenous people over a long period of time (health care workers, NGOs, Peach Corp volunteers) or are foolish enough to not practice safe sex (anywhere). Can't comment on Thyphoid as, even after years of travel, haven't gotten this one.

Generally, all of us should be current with our inoculations, as most haven't updated since childhood.

As OP mentions, Hep A (and Tetanus) will be good for 10-years. In fact, have recently seen TV ads promoting people update their Tetanus inoculations. In addtion, a Polio booster is often recommended which should last till forever.

Otherwise, if you don't fit the circumstance for Hep B this would be overkill. Thyphoid may be a toss-up.

But, only you can decide in consultation with your physician.

Before anyone travels and pays their money (to anywhere), you should always check what medical requirements (inoculations or pills) are necessary and include these costs in your budget... so no surprises.