Wildlife, Nature trips in Asia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a wildlife fan. Over on the Africa & Middle East Board at least 50% of the posts revolve around this. I love to read about other people's nature trips. It's just interesting to see what others have done and it helps me plan my own excursions, which I then report on. Here on the Asia board, I would love to know people's experiences with animal and nature trips.

I am especially intruiged by India, but also interested in any other parts of Asia.

In turn, if you want more info on Asia wildlife activities I've done, I'd be happy to share info on Mongolia, volunteering at Wolong Panda Reserve, elephant back safaris in Nepal, Komodo and its dragons, or orangutans in Borneo.

I may bump this up every few months and see what I catch.

Thank you!
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 10:26 AM

Hi Lynn,
I also love to interact with and learn about wildlife, but I've had a hard time following this passion in Asia.
There's the Tiger Temple in Thailand, scary because of the proximity, but I didn't really learn that much about the animals there.
I also paid a visit to the Orangutan rescue center in Sandakan (Borneo). The orangs are wild and you don't really get to interact with them.
On my upcoming trip to Laos I'm scheduled to visit the Elephant and Adventure camp. I'm not really sure what to expect.
I've found that what I miss the most in Asia are the fantastic wildlife experts from whom I can learn about what I'm seeing. Unfortunately I have had no experience that compares to my African safari.
I'll be looking forward to seeing other responses on this topic.
Femi
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 11:49 AM

My Asian wildlife experience was in Sabah, in the Danum Valley. We wanted, of course, to see orangutans in the wild and we succeeded in that. Because we stayed at the Borneo Rainforest Lodge, we lived in the primary rainforest for several days and took three walks a day with one of the naturalists. Our guide had grown up in the area (as had most of the guides) so knew both the scientific (from his Biology degree) info and the local folk wisdom about the animals and plants. It was a great experience and we'd be glad to return.

We happened to be at the lodge when one of the biologists who had helped determine the location of the lodge and the trails was there. It was a great experience to hear his perspective as well as to drink Laphroig with him and his botanist friend while listening to the rain beating down on the roof of the lodge. The smoky favor of that scotch will forever be associated with that experience!
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 07:26 PM

Hi Lynn
We will be traveling to Khao Sok National park in Feb where we hope to see a variety of wildlife depending on our luck.We are also spending a night on the Chiew Lan Lake(dam). We are very interested in wildlife and have put your Pantenal trip report in our favourites file for 2009.We were in Brazil in 2006 but did not get to the Pantenal area.Thank-you for the beautiful photos and report.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 12:03 AM

The rainforest in SE Asia is very different than the ones in Africa.

You can spot a pack of lions a mile away in the savannah but you'll never notice a tiger - or even an elephant - twenty paces away in SE Asia's jungle. Forest here is very dense and animals are snugged like a bug in the rug. Hence, it's very difficult to get up close or learn about wildlife in Asia. At most, you can see some daily-fed "wildlife" in national parks or conservation centres.

For the real thing, you have to trek the jungle by day and hide up a tree at night to watch wildlife along rivers and salt licks. 90% of wildlife is nocturnal, active at night. It's very dangerous to watch wildlife at ground level as they have a very keen sense of smell. The challenge here is to get a good jungle guide, not one but a few to cover you from all sides.

The risk and liability for authentic wildlife watching tours are just too great. You seldom come across such tour packages in SE Asia. And if there is, it's not cheap.

In SE Asia, you can't really "interact" with wild animals. They'll have you for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'm afraid you have to be contented with touristy parks.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 12:13 AM

Would like to add I agree that Danum Valley is a good place to start. Guides are trained and fabulous jungle. Watch out for wild elephants though. The last time I was there, I had a nasty encounter with them.

You can also look up Maliau Basin in Borneo and Royal Belum in mainland peninsula Malaysia.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 01:37 AM

I grew up in the rainforest in SE Queensland,Australia so I really know how close you need to be to see some animals.Experience has taught me to spot snakes better that most people. The scenery in the areas we are going to is worth the visit even if we see no animals and we are going to the Tiger Temple. We expect it to be the only place we will see Tigers.This is why we have saved the details of Lynns Pantenal trip.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses!
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 06:20 AM

Hi Lynn,

Southern India ...... less commercial parks compared to the well known touristy parks of the north. Get here before the animals and the wild spaces disappear completely in the name of globalization and wanna be super-power.
Hari
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 02:42 PM

It was requested that I make a few comments about my wildlife experience in india. I spent 3 days at bandavargh national park and saw 10 different tigers with 11 sighting. It was absolutely amazing, especially the two that were just on the side of the main road - they had wandered from the main part of the park. Besides the variety of monkeys, deer, and gorgeous birds - the scenery at the park is great! I stayed at the jungle lodge and loved the staff, our lodge and everything about it. As I've mentioned in other forums, India was an accident - it wasn't a place I was yearning to go - but came back in love and had the best time. The trip to bandavargh was indeed a highlight. Worth the 6 hours of bumpy roads!
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 06:00 AM

You flew into Nagpur and drove to Bandhavgarh from there?
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Shothyme and I checked out those pics on the other link. Wonderful.
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 05:46 PM

I spent 2 days at Kahna National Park in India last year and would recommend it. Tigers are the main attraction (saw 11) but there is a good diversity of other wildlife to see. Other guests I encountered had also been to places like Bandavargh and Ranthambore. They seemed to like Kahna at least as much in comparison. However, those who had been to Africa felt Africa was a better wildlife experience. In the Indian parks, you spend a lot of time racing around the roads in the park hoping to come across something interesting. Sometimes you see something, sometimes you just get sore from bouncing around in the jeep. I was told that in Africa the guides have a better idea of where to find the animals and do a better job of getting up close for good viewing opportunities. However, I thought my safari in India was a great experience and I'd do it again. In fact I expect to visit Ranthambore next year. There is a National Geographic special (also appeared on BBC) on tigers that was filmed in Kahna. It does an excellent job of condensing the highlights of what I saw in 2 days down to about 30 minutes. I believe it is called "Hidden World of the Bengal Tiger". Check it out if you want to know what you might see and hear in Kahna.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Hari,
Do you fear a disappearance, from your local perspective?

Danj,
Thanks!
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Aren't there some monkeys in Japan that are seen in the snow? Anybody seen them?
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 07:35 PM

I have recently returned from Sri Lanka, and while the focus of our trip was mostly the Ancient cities and other Buddhist sites, we had the opportunity to see wild elephants, monkeys, numerous birds, etc. in the Kandulla park. There are other places where there are even more opportunities to see wildlife, such as Yala (where you can do a tent safari) and the rainforest at Sinharaja.
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 08:45 PM

Lynn,

Not only do i fear the disappearence, but i see it in front of my eyes on a daily basis!!!

I see high rise buildings coming up all over town and roads being widened to accomodate the flood of new cars arriving into the market. Trees are being chopped down inside town. Awful!

Forests going down every day ..... awful!!! They have now realized that the elephant migratory routes have been effected by some construction sites in their path. Friction between man and pachyderm. Sad!

I don't come onto the Asia boards too much, Lynn. So if you have any specific questions for me ...... ask me on our Africa boards or via email, if you wish!

Hari
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Will do Hari, but I am almost fearful of your response.
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Will do Hari, but I am almost fearful of your response, based on this assessment. Sad and worrisome.
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 08:54 AM

Take a look at this...

http://www.wanderlust.co.uk/detail.p...&type_id=4

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -