Metropole under construction?

Old Oct 21st, 2007, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metropole under construction?

I saw over on TripAdvisor a bunch of reviewers talking about how the Opera Wing is currently under construction at the Sofitel Metropole. A lot of complaints, apparently, about loud hammering in the early AM.

I emailed the hotel to find out about this (as we're booked in the Opera Wing for our upcoming stay) and asked to be moved to the older part of the hotel if, indeed, the were renovating. I received a strange email back basically saying the rest of the hotel was booked but 'don't worry about the noise--we are sure there won't be any influence to you'

I admit...that kinda worries me. It'd be a major bummer to spend so much on such a nice hotel and get to listen to jackhammers going every day.

Anyone been there since this construction has been under way? Hoping for a first-hand account of how extensive and/or annoying it may be.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 07:07 PM

We're booked for 2 rooms in the "classic" or old wing but we will not be there until the middle of December. If you're going after that then I'll report back.

IMO their reservation department is not up to their reputed 5 star status. We got a very good rate through our banker and when we try to confirm it directly with the hotel they did not answer us(I contacted them by email and fax) and I had to call them to get my confirmation number.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 07:17 PM

Rest assured if renovation work is still occuring during your stay, then you'll hear it. The Vietnamese like to start very early and work late. I stayed at the Sheraton in HCMC just after it opened in 2003. They only had 17 of the 23 floors complete. I had to call the front desk at 10pm to get the workers to stop hammering/pounding. And they did.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

Hanuman...thanks for the offer. We are actually leaving in just over 2 weeks. So I'll be sure to let you know when we're back.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 09:53 AM

Just returned from a stay at the Metropole. We were in no way inconvenienced by the construction and had no complaints at all and we stayed in both sections of the hotel.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 01:39 PM

We are staying at the Metropole for five nights arriving January 17, 2008. I plan to e-mail the hotel, Vietnamstay, who booked for me, the guide I have contracted in Hanoi and the travel company that booked our Halong Bay junk Cruise. I figure between the four inquiries I may be able to get some info.

I will post the responses. Anyone else, please keep us posted.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 02:07 PM

Hope you will all post trip reports when you return so those of us going to VN next year can benefit from your wisdom and experience!
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 06:27 PM

I wrote to the General Manager of the Metropole, Mr. Cretallaz. His office responded telling me of a major renovation in progress. They tell me that the three story office space in the Opera wing is being done into guest rooms which should be completed by February, 2008.

They are also renovating the fitness center and health spa as well as the Opera wing lobby. This should be ready by December, 2007.

Restaurants and gift shop are being redone and should reopen by February, 2008.

They go on to say that noise will be minimized between 1800 hours and 1000 hours.