Search

Tropical Trails Itenerary

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 09:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tropical Trails Itenerary

My husband and I are planning on visiting Tanzania in January of 2006. I have been looking into a private camping safari with Tropical Trails. For a 7 day itenerary, which I will list below, they are quoting us $1400 which includes a night in Arusha at tha Karma Lodge on night 7. I like this company because they seem to be very eco-friendly, use Land Rovers, and can cater to vegans. Please let me know if you have had any experience with this company of if you think this price is outrageous. I am open to ANY suggestions! Thanks a ton!
Annie C

Day 1 - Tarangire National Park
Start your safari with a drive west across the Maasai Plains from Arusha to Tarangire National Park. Overnight Tarangire Public Campsite (BLD)

Day 2 - Lake Manyara National Park
After an early breakfast take a final morning game drive in Tarangire, before driving across the plains and into the Great Rift Valley to Lake Manyara National Park for an afternoon game drive. Leave the park and spend the evening and night at the in Twiga Camp, Mto-wa-Mbu (BLD)

Day 3 - Serengeti National Park
After an early breakfast break camp and drive up the rift escarpment, cross the rich agricultural farmland of Karatu before entering the Ngorongoro Conservation area. Take a short stop at Olduvai Gorge, the 'cradle of mankind'.
Overnight at Seronera Public Campsite (BLD)

Day 4 - Serengeti National Park
Spend a full day exploring the Serengeti.
Overnight at Seronera Public Campsite (BLD)

Day 5 - Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater
Enjoy lunch in camp before the afternoon drive to Ngorongoro arriving at your camp in the early evening, overlooking this crater
Overnight at Simba Camp (BLD)

Day 6 - Ngorongoro Crater
Dinner and overnight at your camp.
Overnight at Simba Camp (BLD)

Day 7 - Ngorongoro - Arusha
Drive back down the escarpment to Mto-wa-Mbu and spend some time in the local craft markets before continuing to Arusha.
Overnight at Karama Lodge (B)
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 03:54 AM

Hi Puddin

Is that $1400 per person or for both of you?

Why do you think this budget outfitter is more eco-friendly than its competition?
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 12:33 AM
Original Poster

1400 per person. after reading through their website and mission i feel they take eco-friendly stance. i'm sure there are a ton of safari guides who don't care about the envt, just like there are lots of people in the world who don't. those people usually don't mention that they don't care, but the ones who mention they do usually do. other than that, no reason.

i would appreciate some more feedback!
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 04:36 AM

Hi Annie

$200 per person per day is at the upper end of the average budget camping safari. But it is not outrageous! Go for it.

Before you go, just make sure you are happy with your style of camping:

1. Is it participatory? Meaning - will you have to help set up the tents and camp? This can take several hours on moving days while others are out on game drives!
2. Do you get mattresses and bedding? At your price you should get a thick mattress.
3. Are yours walk-in Bow tents or crawl-in dome tents? The former are more comfortable!

In January it is a bit of a pity that you cannot spend any time near Ndutu in the Southern Serengeti.

I camped all over in June this year and REALLY loved it. You can see pictures of the camp sites on my home page: www.go-safari.com

Once Google Earth is loaded just click on the camp sites for pictures, etc.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 01:27 AM
Original Poster

Anyone else have anything to say? I'd really appreciate it!
annie
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 01:48 PM

Well, I feel like I've "heard" of Tropical Trails, that they're a reputable outfitter. My preference would be for one more day in the Serengeti, but of course we all have our budget/time constraints.

I've actually "camped" at Twiga before! Don't worry, it's like camping in someone's back yard. There's a bar, a pool, etc. It's not fancy by ANY means, but it might make a nice break in between the more rugged camping.

Enjoy your safari!
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

I'm sure I can change the itenerary if needed. Would anyone decide to leave off any of these places to add more days elsewhere?

BTW, we're also doing 7 days in Kenya as well on a Safari if it makes a difference.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 06:46 PM
dlo

Hi Annie

We are using Tropical Trails in February.I have had excellent communication with them as well as reading positive reviews in the Bradt guidebook. My travel agent just had some clients return as well and said they were thrilled with their trip.

My time with them is longer because we are spending 3 months in Africa so for us time is not an issue,but i would try to spend a couple of days at Ndutu if possible.

I changed my itinerary a bunch of times so you will have no problems there.