Search

Mbalageti Camp

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mbalageti Camp

Hi everyone, I've never posted before but I've just started planning a trip to Tanzania for next summer and somehow stumbled onto this website. You guys are great and such a help to anyone planning a trip to Africa.

Today I was looking at a couple of websites about camps in Tanzania and noticed that there was some information about the Mbagaleti Camp that seems contradictory. One site says that the camp is comprised of four tents that are moved from place to place depending on the migration, and the other website says that the camp consists of 24 chalets. Does anyone know just how the Mbalageti Camp is set up? Thanx. Jack
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 04:43 PM

Hi Jack

Here is the scoop.

There is a permanent lodge in the Western Serengeti called Mbalageti Serengeti Luxury Tented Lodge. It has tented room structures (recommended) and a few chalet style rooms. This is a large lodge with 16-24 rooms. Go here for pics: http://www.go-safari.com/Serengeti/Mbalagheti.htm

Then there are several seasonal camps that move around the Serengeti. One of these is called Nomad Serengeti Safari Camp. Depending on the time of year (June mostly), this camp MAY be located somewhere near the Mbalageti or Grumeti Rivers. tThis camp has 4 tents. http://www.go-safari.com/Serengeti/Nomadser.htm

And then you have an assortment of mobile camps that move around for shorter stays depending on client needs. These camps may also be in the Mbalageti area for a few days (mostly in June). There ate too many to mention here.

Hope this helps!
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 04:45 PM

Let me guess - you found the Africa Travel Resource website and looked at their description of a camp they called Mbalageti that's supposed to be in the Western Serengeti? Am I right?

ATR is actually referring to a mobile camp run by Nomad, otherwise known as, Serengeti Safari Camp. I have no idea why ATR calls this camp Mbalageti, but they're the only ones who do.

Here's Nomad's website for this camp:
http://www.serengeti-safari-camp.com/

Here's Nomad's website:
http://www.nomad-tanzania.com/

The Mbalageti Camp that consists of 24 Chalets is a permanent tented lodge, and not the same as the Mbalageti listed on ATRs website.

This is Mbalageti's website:
http://www.mbalageti.com/

Old Oct 7th, 2005, 04:47 PM

Hah - posted at the same time...
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanx! ATR was one site I was referring to and the other was go2africa. It had me going but I figured this board would know the answer.

Eban, I think your photos are great, and I assume (with this new info) that your photos of Mbalageti are of the chalet camp, right? As soon as I figure out how to use the GoogleEarth thing, I'm sure that's going to be great, also. I'm of the older generation, growing up before "nerds" were around and way long before "geeks" were born. But, I'll see what I can do with that. It looks fascinating. Thanx again everyone! Jack
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

After thinking about this, I'm still a little confused now about whether Mbalageti Serengeti (24 chalets) is truly a tented camp or not. I personally don't equate a chalet with a tent, but maybe I'm wrong. Is MS a true "tented camp" or is it really a lodge that calls itself tented? Please help me some more, folks. I'm wanting a tru tented camp and was about ready to confirm reservations at this camp because I've been told that it's a tented camp. But now.....??? Jack
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 06:33 PM

Jack, can you visit my pics again? I added descriptions so you can see the different rooms and tented chalets vs standard brick rooms.

Mbalageti tented chalets are hybrids Canvas in from and mortar in the back - built on platforms.

Even Grumeti camp tents are hybrid - tent in front and mortar showers in the back.

Kirawira tents have rather permanent bathroom structures as well (tiled) if I remember correctly.

If you are talking next summer, then the Serengeti may not be the best place to be - the Masai Mara has that distinction. There are several tented camps in the Mara. Which month are you going?

Eben
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 06:34 PM

Lots of typos. I meant Mbalageti tented chalets have canvas in FRONT - not FROM!
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 03:26 PM

Jack,

What exactly are you looking for in a "true tented camp"? Is it what ATR describes as Mbalageti? I know when I started researching accommodations that I was confused with all of the distinctions between a mobile camp (from basic to luxury); semi-permanent/seasonal camps; and permanent tented camps/lodges.

If you're looking for what ATR described, then you'll want something like Nomad's camps, Asilia Lodges Olakira and Sayari camps, or EMC Mobile Safari camps. There are also places like Ronjo Fly camp in the central Serengeti. If you do a search on the camps, I've mentioned you'll find a lot of comments on them here.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Sorry for the delay in responding, been gone all day. I guess I was just a little frustrated last night after finding out that what I thought was a "tented camp" (Mbalageti) was really a large group of chalets (defined as wooden cabins in my Webster's). And my frustration was simply my own fault because out of my own ignorance I thought a tented camp meant it had tents for accommodations. I now know that "tent" as used to describe lodging can mean just about anything as long as it has canvas somewhere. And that's ok. I just had to learn the jargon. Thanks all for the great responses.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 04:25 PM

Well, it IS confusing.

And you know, Jack, there are some of us--perhaps many--who would love to hear about your trip, before or after! No pressure.

Enjoy your planning, and most of all, enjoy your safari.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 05:00 PM
bat

Jack:

You do not have to apologize. As Leely said, it IS confusing.

And, with regard to your specific question, ATR confuses things even more by calling Nomad's Serengeti camp--when it is in the western reserve--"Mbalageti"--ATR's own name for it--not Nomad's. Which might be OK and not confusing if there were not a permanent camp with the name Mbalageti. Which is a shame because ATR does a good job advocating Nomad camps--no need to confuse everyone by giving it a name Nomad does not. ATR has given its own "names" to other Nomad camps as well--in the southern serengeti/NCA they call it "Masek." Nomad just calls both camps "Serengeti" camp and depending on the time of year it moves.

[Eben, are you proud of me that your lessons have caught on! ]

So, if you want a truly "tent" camp-- a semi-permanent one that is moved seasonally to take advantage of the migration--as lifelist has pointed out, you would be interested in Nomad, Asilia, EMC.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

I am so impressed with everyone on this chat board...so nice and Patient, one more time in all caps... PATIENT, with newbies like me. Thanx a bunch. Maybe some day I'll be able to contribute something myself!!!
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Taken care of Sunday stuff, taken the wife out to eat for her birthday, now I can get back to the important stuff! (just kidding)

Eban, I'm sorry I haven't answered your question before now. I'm retired and very flexible as to dates, but my son can only go in June or July and must be home by August 1. So, our main goal is seeing the migration and I've narrowed our lodging down to Mbalageti Serengeti or Mbuzi Mawe Tented Camp. Which do you think would be best and when in June or July would be the best timing (not just you, but anyone please respond)? Jack
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 12:18 PM

If you have the time and the money, I'd hedge my bets and split time at both camps.

For what it's worth, we leave June 15 (my teacher friend's last day of school) and arrive Arusha the 17th. Driving west, flying back to JRO. Splitting our time in the Serengeti--the end of safari, the end of June--between Ronjo camp in the central area and Nomad "Mbalageti." At first I thought we were going to be at the Mbalageti tented camp/chalets your family is considering. And I've been to Tanzania before! I was still utterly confused.

Don't know how interested you are in total family togetherness, but did you see on Eben's website what looks to be a "triple" tent at Sayari?

Another thing to consider: both Mbuzi Mawe and Kirawira are owned by the Serena hotel group. Sometimes you get a little break by staying at properties owned by the same group. This is hearsay; I haven't had that experience myself. Someday...

Anyway, I have no idea whether budget is a factor for you, but I thought I'd just throw that out there.

Curious to see what Eben says!

Happy birthday to your wife.

Old Oct 9th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Leely, the two camps would stretch the budget past the breaking point, it's at the bend but not break point right now. And thanks for wishing the wife happy b.d. She's 39. (again)
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Help, anybody, I need to firm up reservations soon but still have a little question in the back of my mind about which would be the best camp: Mbalageti or Mbuzi Mawe? Or is it a case of six of one, half a dozen of the other? And, when do you think in June or July would be best for seeing the migration at either camp?
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 05:34 AM

Hi Jack

In 2005, the wildebeest were in central and southern Seronera by late May, then in the Western Serengeti by early-mid June and started to enter the Masai Mara in early July.

Thus my best guess would be:

June 1 to 15 - split your time between Western Serengeti camps (Mbalegeti, Grumeti, Kirawira) and central Seronera lodges/camps (EMC, Nomad Serengeti, etc even Mbuzi Mawe)

June 15 to June 30 - Split your time between Northern Seronera lodges/camps (Mbuzi Mawe, Migration camp) and Sayari Mara (or other camps in this area)

July 1 to July 31 - Sayari Mara or other camps in this area

Eben (with post my personal migration patterns on Google Earth later today)

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Eban, that's a great help, and I'm sure it is to lots of other folks as well. Jack
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 07:19 AM

Hi everyone,

I too will be in Western Serengeti on my Honeymoon next June 2006. From the 21st until the 26th. At the moment I am booked for:
21/06 Mbalaget Camp Ok
22/06 Mbalaget Camp Ok
23/06 Kirawira Tented OK
24/06 Kirawira Tented OK
25/06 Olakira Camp - Ok
I have made the same mistake, I was about to book the Mbalageti camp having followed Africa travel resource. Now I am looking at Mbuzi Mae, Migration Camp or Grumeti following great advice from Climblowsleephigh.
I will keep you posted of any developments.
Kind regards Chris Goodwin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -