Back from Botswanana and Sabi Sands

Old Feb 25th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back from Botswanana and Sabi Sands

Well it's been a great trip!

The one thing I won't do again is post an itinerary on fodors as mine kept changing to the last minute.

Sabi Sands:

2 nights at Kirkmans Camp

3 nights at Exeter Leadwood

1 night at Tinga Nerina

3 nights at Londolozi Tree.

1 night private lodge in Timbavati.

1 night Skukuza.

BOTSWANA:

2 nights Duba Plains

3 nights Mombo

2 nights Jao.

I had private vehicles at Kirkmans,Exeter,Londolozi,Duba Plains,Mombo and Jao.My main interest was cat viewing.
(Only paid for private vehicle at Mombo and Duba)

Highlights:
1)Saw 80 different lions in 18 days.
2)lion kill next to vehicle at Exeter
3)7 different leopards at Londolozi in 3 days.
4)Night of chaos on an african plain at Londoz...male leopard,impala kill and 8 hyenas.
5)Leopard kill at Exeter(didn't witness kill)but arrived on scene shortly afterwards and saw a female leopard and two three month old cubs feeding.
6)Two Lionesses doing the mating thing at Kirkmans Camp!
7)6 male lions on a buff kill on Singita's property
8)Lioness stealing a duiker kill from leopard at Londoz.
9)Spending a night of terror with the Duba boys in the Delta as our vehicle broke down and our guide had to run back to camp!This is a long story and I will explain in the trip report.
10)Seeing both the Skimmer and Tsaro prides at Duba.
11)Seeing 22 lions feeding on a wildebeest kill at Mombo.
12)Spent 4 hours with a female leopard and her 4 month old cub at Jao.
13)Having the pleasure of meeting Mark of Taga Safaris,excellent service and a great guy.

Well I'm sure I've left out some stuff but I will write a complete report as soon as I'm rested.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 12:34 AM
johan_belgium

Hi,

I can't wait to read your trip report.

By the way, who was your guide at Duba and was Paul there?

Greetings,

Johan

Old Feb 26th, 2006, 02:32 AM

Hi safarinut,

Welcome home! Sounds as if you had some fantastic gameviewing, so I look forward to your trip report.

If possible, can you include the names of the cats in the Sabi Sands? Also, my mind has been racing with the story of the lions and the guide running back to camp at night! Hard to imagine that that was the best option, but I will wait to hear!

Look forward to your trip report and pleased that you had a great time.

Kind regards,
Kaye
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:14 AM

Safarinut,
The final itinerary that actually occurred looks great.

Such excitement in your list of 13. Looking forward to a report, especially the terror-filled and the nonterror-filled times at Duba. Also the rainfall you experienced in the delta.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 05:17 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
WOW! What a trip! Can't wait to hear all the details.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 05:26 AM
santharamhari

Wow!!! Safarinut.....awesome!!! Good for you.....i await the trip report. How was exeter/kirkman's......but from your synopsis, most of the interesting sightings were at Londolozi....

Yes, how were Duba/Mombo....i wonder if Vasco/Brooks are still around guiding at those camps. They are both good.....

Keep us posted.....any cheetahs? Wild dogs?

Hari

Old Feb 26th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

johan:

My guide at Duba was Chief,excellent guide.Paul is still there,have you seen his plane?
I loved Duba and will definately return.

kaye:

The lions I saw in the SSGR:

Kirkmans: Selati pride.
Exeter: Sandriver pride and Shimungwe pride 18 lions(?spelling).
Londolozi: Sparta pride, coalition of 6 males(these are made up from the 4 Eyrefield males and two unknown males)
Tinga: Unknown pride
Skukuza: unknown
Timbavati:unknown,great night here as we were driving ourselves and saw a pride stalking impalas 5 minutes from the lodge.They eventually killed but thick bush prevented us from getting close.

Botswana:

Duba: Skimmer pride,Tsaro pride and of course the legendary Duba boys!
Duba has lost 40 lion cubs over the past two years but it seemed like every lioness there was pregnant so we will keep our hopes up.

Mombo: Bob marly and the whalers?spelling.This pride consisted of 4 males,17 cubs and 7 lionesses.

Jao: No name given to pride-2 males and 4 lionesses.

Our guide Chief had no option but to run back to camp at Duba.Our vehicle broke down at Acasia crossing at Duba at 18h15.The radio didn't work and they didn't have a hand held radio in the vehicle.We were the only people out on a cocession halve the size of the entire Sabi Sands Game Reserve!He had no option but to run back...

atravelynn:

We had alot of rain in the Delta but no game drive was ''rained out''
The management at Duba and Mombo commented that current water levels are comprable to last years floods.At Mombo for example the water level extends to the main deck.

santharamhari:

I didn't see Vasco at Mombo but Brookes is still there.Mombo was great but I doubt I will return,I really hate the fact that night drives aren't allowed.I will definately return to Duba though!

I see I created a new republic called Botswananana!...Sorry very tired!
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 08:23 AM
johan_belgium

Safarinut,

I have seen his plane. He actually used it to locate the buffalo herd for Derek and Beverly. Last year he took someone with him in the plane when I was there. Paul is really a great guy.
Do you have any idea how big the herd of buffalo is at the moment around Duba?

I'll be at Duba for a week in October 2006 and April 2007. I know Chief - I've met him first in Kaparota in June 2003 when he was still a waiter there. Then I met him when he was working as a guide in Vumbura (2004) and Duba (2005).

It really looked a superb trip - so once again can't wait to read your trip report or see your pictures.

In the meanwhile I am counting the months (+/- 2,5 months)till I go on my first safari this year.

Greetings,

Johan

Old Feb 26th, 2006, 02:32 PM

hey safarinut,
sounds like a great trip. did you get to see any leopards at mombo? and is tsile still guiding there? im heading there in sept and was hoping to request him as our guide. also heading to duba and was wondering when tehy would expect the cubs to be born. the last time i visited there, the tsaro pride as split up as svereal had just given birth so hopefully this time they will already have young ones roaming around. thx in advance.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 03:17 AM

Welcome back, Safarinut! Can't wait to read more!
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 06:42 AM

Saafarinut, sounds like a great trip. We are also very interested in cat viewing. We've identified Londolozi as the best place for leopards in southern Africa, and from your experience, that seems right. Any recommendations as to the best place(s) for cheetah in Botswana, South Africa or Zambia?
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 07:15 AM

Nut, can't wait for the full report. Glad you had an awesome time.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 07:30 AM
johan_belgium

Angler973,

Some great places to see cheetah:

Phinda (South Africa);
Kwando-Selinda (Botswana);
Zambia: you have a small chance of seeing them at the Busanga plains (Kafue).

Greetings,

Johan

Old Feb 27th, 2006, 08:31 AM
santharamhari

Also, in the delta......thanks to posts from both Johan and Michael, both Kwara and Chitabe seem to be good for cheetah viewing......

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Johan:
The big herd is close to a thousand strong and there is a smaller herd of +- 250.I asked Paul,Chief and everyone else what was the best time to visit Duba and all said late September to early October.I absolutely loved this place.

Bigcountry:
We only saw three leopards at Mombo.Tsile is still there but if I go again I would go for the new guide Malinga,great guy,all of his guests raved about him.

I saw three one month old cubs at Duba and two lionesses of the Tsaro pride was going to give birth within a few days of our departure.Let's hope they make it as one of the Tsaro females has taken to cub killing.They think it's ''Milky eye'' but nobody is sure.

Thanks Kavey,I wish I could say it's good to be back!

santharamhari:
Kirkmans was ok,Exeter great!

Angler973:
Botswana was great but the SSGR is hard to beat for close-up lion and leopard viewing.I didn't see a single cheetah or wild dog in 36 game drives!

Thanks Matt!,I missed out on Mala Mala this time...long story!
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 07:28 PM
santharamhari

safarinut,

Hi! yes, none of the Botswana camps you went to are prime cheetah areas, as they have large lion densities....

In the SSGR, cheetahs are a hit or miss......they move into and out of all the private areas.......IMO, SSGR is best for leopards anywhere in Africa....

Anyway, glad you had an amazing trip!!!

Hari

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 09:10 PM
johan_belgium

Safarinut,

Thanks for the info on Duba plains.

I expect to see some serious action in September/October when I am going to Lebala + Duba Plains. I just bought an extra lens: Nikon 200mm-400mm F4. So let's hope for the best.

Greetings,

Johan

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 10:07 AM

Wow, sorry to hear that you didn't see any cheetah at Mombo! I positively love cheetah! I think I heard that one of the Steroid Boys was killed, possibly by a lion? The other one has changed territories, possibly?
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 03:36 PM

Regarding Mombo, I've heard over the last half dozen years or so that lion and hyena have become more prevalent. That reduces the cheetah population, though they still exist there.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 08:39 AM

Thanks for the great post. Where did you stay in Timbavati? And did you like it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -