Search

Tauck Tours

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tauck Tours

Does anyone know who provides the ground transportation, guides, etc. for Tauck Tours in Tanzania?

If we can find out, then perhaps we can save a bundle of money...

If not, then can someone recommend a outfitter that will do a luxury safari?

Thanks.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 10:57 PM

Hi dssxxxx and everybody

I'm sorry I don't know about Tauck Tours but I take advantage of your message to inform everybody that I am about to begin to work for a east african tour operator ( managing of frenchspeaking customers )
First I booked a journey in Uganda whit this TO, I chose it because the program and the activities (and also the price)was the best offer I received. As they were looking for a frenchspeaker manager , they proposed me this job. And I accepted it with a lot of pleasure because I am a passionate of travel and especially in Africa
As it everybody knows !

If I can help ..;don't hesistate, you will be very welcome .

Chinook
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Talk about hi-jacking a thread....
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 04:36 AM
sandi

why not list the Lux safari that Tauck is offering and that is of interest. Include the places/parks you visit and the hotels/lodges/camps used.

Tauck prices are rather high, and from some itineraries I've seen, they don't use many real luxury properties - mostly Serena Lodges; though nice, I couldn't categorize them as luxury.

Once you list the Tauck itinerary, advise when you wish to travel and your estimated budget, we can suggest outfitters who could assist you.

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 08:11 AM

Dssxxxx,
I'm sorry
I realize that I would have better post a new thread but I think that nobody would not have read it

I apologize
Chinook

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 08:22 AM

Here's the Tauck Tanzania itinerary -

http://www.tauck.com/tours/africa-tr...safari-tz-2006

The itinerary looks pretty standard, not what I would call a luxury safari either. Have you tried asking Tauck?

Chinook,
Which TO if you don't mind me asking?
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 08:25 AM

In the East Africa trip report index thread, you'll find which tour operators others have used in Tanzania - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34725679

And yes, you can save a bundle of money
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 12:50 PM
sandi

Tauck is just expensive for what they offer; besides they're group departures. Whether in-country or not, most tour operators or safari planners can arrange the same itinerary saving you quite a bit of money. And for what Tauck charges you can actually get "luxury" from others.

Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

As the link Patty posted shows, they are mostly Serena lodges with the last two nights in Kirawira.

We would prefer all luxury tented stops, but do not know what's available.

Budget would be roughly $5000.00 per person - with just the wife and I. If the itinerary is that good, then we could go $6,000.00 each.

Tack on business class from US and it gets pretty expensive.....

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 01:26 PM
sandi

Time of year will impact prices of the luxury properties in Tanzania. In high-season, camps as Grumeti and Kirawira in Western Serengeti can run $700/pppn; Klein's in Northern Serengeti also in the $700/pppn; The Crater Lodge at Ngorogonrogo, also in the $700/pppn; and Tree Lodge at Manyara, the same. Except for Kirawira (a Serena property) the others belong to CCAfrica.

In off-season (April/May or November) prices on the above can be reduced by at least a third.

This, of course, doesn't take into consideration some of the seasonal camps which can range in the $300-$600/pppn depending on season.

So, it's not only budget, but season, where you visit and for how many days for each and total number of safari days; and, of course, whether you're driving between parks/reserves or flying. Distances are great and flying is often recommended for the longer legs of a safari.

Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 10:18 PM

I've been reading about Lynda and Jim's Micato Safari with great anticipation. Welcome back.

I happen to know that Tanzania Photographic Tours and Safaris is the operator for Tauck in Tanzania. I met Pratik Patel, the Managing Director at the Seronera airport last February. I'm sending some clients his way soon and I was curious to see his vehicles. They are very nice bytheway. I got a very good impression of his company and that my clients will be well taken care of. I know I could have booked them cheaper in better accommodations but these folks are married to Tauck. It's the comfort level of the person travelling that is important. You may contact Pratik at [email protected]
signed Lynda's Kristina in Seattle
PS. I loved Kennedy too.