Search

New Seba Camp

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Seba Camp

We are going to Botswana next month (October) and will be spending three nights at the new Seba camp in the Okavango Delta -Has anyone been there yet? I understand this is a new camp (June 2006) and we are going with Wilderness Safaris. I can't find much on the internet - and no photos yet.

We are also spending three nights at Duma Tau camp, after which we go to Muchenje Lodge in Chobe.

Would love to hear comments on the camps.

Old Sep 16th, 2006, 09:52 PM
santharamhari

Duma Tau- The wild dogs are denning there this year. Hopefully, you will get a chance to see them during your trip. However, by October they will be very mobile....

Hari

Old Oct 4th, 2006, 08:00 AM

Dear Tropical gal,
Have you checked the Wilderness web site? The photos are up - including one of each tent. I shall be at Seba 25-27 October. I have just joined the forums so did not see your question earlier. If I don't see you there we must compare notes later!
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 11:37 AM

Hello,

I've stayed at Duma Tau and had a wonderful time. It's a lovely camp in a very nice area for game viewing, particularly in the dry season -- you should see huge numbers of ellies. I'd recommend requesting Mr T as your guide.

The WIlderness Safaris website has tonnes of info on their camps, including sighting newsletters to whet your appetite. You can visit your camps here:

DUMA TAU:
http://www.wilderness-safaris.com/ca...mp;method=menu

SEBA
http://www.wilderness-safaris.com/ca...mp;method=menu

Sounds like a great trip!

Cheers,
Julian
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 09:44 PM
santharamhari

Ok, thanks i now know where Seba is.....while i was at Lebala, there were these two nice French ladies flying to Seba as their next camp and were looking for further info....i didnt know of any info to provide them. They also did Sandibe prior and did like their time there also.....

Hari

Old Nov 8th, 2006, 06:11 PM

Tropical gal or Bostsfan:

Are either of you back from your trips yet. I would be interested in hearing about Seba Camp as I may be there next year on our trip to Botswana and there is very little info. on this camp yet.

Old Nov 8th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Hello brandywine,
We are just back (four days ago) from our trip and I was going to make a post on Seba so you have beaten me to it!

Seba camp is wonderful - the photos on the website are excellent - there are only 5 tents and they are all very well appointed and located at the edge of a lagoon with the main dining area overlooking a pretty waterhole. The camp was opened in May this year and they were still constructing the pool -it will be finished by now - but everything else is done and has been well thought out. The staff are fabulous and we felt as though we had made new friends. Our guide was Max and he was amazing - his tracking ability left me in awe. We saw so many animals including lots of elephant, hippo, impapa, wildebeest, lions and cubs, warthogs, roan antelope, sable antelope, giraffe, kudu, many birds - it would take forever to list them all.

There was still a lot of water around so our drives were interesting, to say the least!

There is an elephant research project being undertaken there by an Australian called Julia. She is so interesting and happily talks about her work and we even joined her for part of a morning drive. She tracks the elephants which have been released from nearby Abu camp to ensure they are integrating into other herds and thriving on their own. Occasionally these elephants wander into Seba - apparently they miss human company - and I will never forget my first encounter!

From the moment we were welcomed into the camp until the sad moment of departure, I was captivated and can't wait to return. I dont know if you have done many safaris - this was our first - but even if you have, you will love Seba.

Any other questions please dont hesitate to ask me.

Alison

Old Nov 8th, 2006, 06:59 PM
santharamhari

Alison,

Good to hear about your experiences at Seba. Sounds lovely.....

Quick question......did you find the area around Muchenje lodge crowded with tourists in the Chobe? Also, did it rain much at any point in the trip?

Thanks
Hari

Old Nov 8th, 2006, 07:10 PM

Thanks Alison for the comments on Seba. It sounds like you really enjoyed the camp and plenty of wildlife. Also, the research on elephants should be quite interesting. Both roan and sable antelope are good sightings (I haven't seen either). Will you be posting any pictures?
We will be going in June of next year and Seba was the only camp that I wasn't totally sure about, but feel much better now. This will be our second safari - last year South Africa and Botswana, but Botswana only next year.

It sounds like you really enjoyed your trip so now are you another person addicted to Africa?
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 07:33 PM
santharamhari

Brandywine,

I hope this upcoming summer isnt as wet as last year......

I will be in Botswana in June as well and hope they have a "normal" rain year...

Hari

Old Nov 8th, 2006, 07:43 PM

Hari,

Yes, I'm hoping for a normal year also! I figure there's a good chance since so much rain there this year, it doesn't seem likely to happen twice in a row, but you never know.

We were there for a very short time in June 2005 (not a big rain nor flood year), and really liked the weather, not too cold or hot. We are just picking up shoulder season pricing next June, but I thought that you would prefer high season, so kind of surprised to see you going in June.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 07:59 PM
santharamhari

Hi! I want to do early June to catch the dogs during or just prior to their denning....i am doing a combination of Zibalianja and Lebala during my trip to try my best to see the dogs. I'm just doing the two camps. It will be my first visit to the Selinda concession. Later in the season they can be anywhere.....Kwando, Selinda, Linyanti.....difficult to find them (i'm talking of the Selinda pack, specifically)

Which camps will you be going to?

Hari

Old Nov 8th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Original Poster

Hi Hari,

No - it didn't rain once on either trip - in fact we were at Seba, Duma Tau and Muchenje and it was perfect weather all the time.

As far as tourists go in Chobe - we saw a couple of private vehicles and one or two other safari vehicles along the river but on the whole it wasn't bad. However, compared to Seba - it was populated!!

By the way, we saw the wild dogs at Duma Tau - on three occasions. There are six puppies in the pack and they are so funny to watch, particularly trying to pluck up courage to cross the river! One evening we were sitting having a sundowner watching the sunset on the deck of the lodge and an imapala came crashing along the boardwalk chased by a dog - others came and proceeded to kill the impala right at my feet! The other guests were all out on a drive, so we were told we were very lucky. Personally I found it horrific but realise that is nature - the dogs then regurgitated the meat for the puppies so the whole thing was fascinating especially as a crocodile came out of the river looking for his spoils and finally the hyenas came ever hopeful but there wasn't much left. This was better than a David Attenborough movie!!

Yes, Brandywine - I am now totally addicted to Africa and I will post some pictures later!

Cheers
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 01:30 AM
santharamhari

Alison,

Fantastic luck with the dogs!!! Yes, Duma Tau is where they did den this year....so you missing the game drive turned out to be a stroke of genius luck!!!

Did the other vehicles head back to camp, learning that the dogs were hunting there?

Hari

Old Nov 9th, 2006, 03:59 AM

I too am just back from Seba and agree with everything Tropical girl says.
My guide was Boyce, and he found tracks of wild dogs,and after following through bush and water we eventually found them. There were five dogs with the most beautiful colours.
I also had agreat sighting of a leopard with impala kill--the leopard on a branch with tail hanging down-classic.
I met Julia as well and found her work most interesting.
Seba is a small stylish camp with friendly welcoming staff and delicious food.
I shall certainly go back.

Jan
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 05:29 AM

Thanks Jan, I'm happy to hear good reports about Seba. Wow, seeing wild dogs there! That would really be an unexpected and wonderful bonus, how lucky you were. How many nights were there and what was the rest of your itinerary?

Hari, Ok now I understand your thoughts about going in June. We will be at Chitabe Trails, Seba, Little Vumbura, and Selinda, 3 nights each in the first two weeks of June
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 05:42 AM
santharamhari

Brandywine,

What dates are you at Selinda? I am in the concession June 1-6. Dont know if we cross paths....

Your trip sounds fabulous...

Hari

Old Nov 9th, 2006, 05:51 AM

Hari,
we're at Selinda the last part of our trip - June 12 to 15, so I guess we won't cross paths. We're hoping to spend a night in one of trail camps at Selinda or one of the hides at Chitabe, I've requested both (but they are not guaranteed), so hopefully one or both of those nights will work out. If you're at Zib that length of time, maybe you want to request one day on the walking trail with a night at the trail camp just for a change of pace.

Hope you see the dogs!
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 05:59 AM
santharamhari

Hi! ok. Yes, i'm doing a couple of walks from Zib.....i think it will be cool enough even during the day to head out for a walk vs a lazy siesta.

You have a great opportunity to see dogs at Chitabe as well....Seba and LV, i guess are outside shots...

Hari

Old Nov 9th, 2006, 07:26 AM

Hi Brandywine,
Yes Seba was very enjoyable. I was there for three nights. I was also very lucky because I also got to see the Abu's elephants. I was at Abu's last year so Luke arranged for me to see new baby Abu who's so cute, only five months old. A New York honeymoon couple were sharing my vehicle and they were thrilled to bits. They don't usually let Seba guests see the riding elephants.
I started at Jack's at Makgadikgadi where they do quad biking,but there had been a lot of rain so we couldn't get out on the pans.I didn't mind as it was my 9th time there and I had done everything there several times. I have so many friends at many of the camps that it's difficult to choose where to go, but Jack's is always a must.I went to Shinde which was a mistake. I had been there 12 years ago, but I didn't like the way the camp is run now. It's a good game area, but I won't be back!
I finished at Nxamaseri, a fishing camp in the panhandle.It's so quiet you hardly see another boat. I caught my biggest barbel ever-17 lbs, it was a real struggle to land it! I go there every time because 6 years ago I took my husbands ashes to sprinkle on the river. The skimmers are nesting at this timeof year and they flew overhead,calling.
So you see,it's a special place for me.
Botswana means so much to me.
Jan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -