Canoeing and Horseback Riding

Old Oct 10th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canoeing and Horseback Riding

Has anyone done a canoeing and/or horseback riding safari? I'm planning to include several days of each (in addition to walking) in my 2007 trip. Just curious to hear about the personal experiences of anyone on this board. I've never encountered a more knowledgeable group of people on the internet who are so knowledgeable about safari travel than those of you who frequent this forum, so I'm hoping to learn some good insights!

I've heard WS offers a good canoe trip that is based at Mana Pools. The only horseback operation I'm familiar with is African Horseback Safrais in Bots.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 07:50 AM

Hi Cheetah Girl,

There is also canoeing on the Zambian side of the Zambezi and quite a few more lodging options to consider. Chiawa, Old Mondoro and Chongwe River Camp are all very highly regarded camps:

www.chiawa.com

www.chiawa.com/pages/old_mondoro_bush_camp.htm

www.chongwe-river.com

www.starofafrica.com (for their Kulefu camp)

The good thing about being on the Zambian side of the Zambezi is then that you have easier access to another wonderful Zambian park, South Luangwa National Park. Here are a few of the best properties in South Luangwa:

www.luangwariverlodge.com

www.kaingo.com

www.starofafrica.com (particularly Puku Ridge and they also have some wonderful packages combining Victoria Falls, South Luangwa and Lower Zambezi).

www.remoteafrica.com (for Tafika in South Luangwa or Mwaleshi in North Luangwa)

www.bushcampcompany.com

My best canoeing to date has taken place at Kulefu, Star Of Africa's luxury camp in the Lower Zambezi. The accomodations and location have both been substantially upgraded since my own visit so it is probably now more in line with the other camps I mentioned in the Lower Zambezi.

For horseback riding, I have never done it, but there are some options in both Botswana and Malawi.

http://www.nyika.com/nyiksafaris.html

Best of luck.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Hey Rocco -

Just got back from Zambia, actually. Stayed at Tafika (Remote Africa) and Sausage Tree Camp in the Lower Zambezi, which I'm sure you know is the sister camp of Ol Mondoro.

I did the AM canoe trip at ST down the Chifungulu (sp?) Channel, which was fun, but provided just a taste. Plus, they won't let you sit in the stern on that trip, and for someone who actualy knows how to canoe, that can be frustrating!! I'd really like to canoe for several days. I'm certainly considering Zambia, but part of the reason I'm also thinking about ZIM has to do with my guide, who works for WS.

But, for the record, this was my first visit to Zambia and I will DEFINITELY return. I just loved it - especially Tafika. Unfortunately, we didn't get to do any walking because my mom was with us and she has a a bad knee, but just a reason to go back, right? We loved the setting of the camp, the microlighting with John, the camp staff and our primary guide, Bryan Jackson.

As for Sausage Tree, well the setting there is breathtaking, too, and they do so many specail small things - like lunch on the sandbar. It's hard to top eating a fabulous meal and drinking Pimm's with your toes in the Zambezi River... They have a wonderful staff, too.

I was a bit unsure about how I'd like Zambia, but I'm definitely a HUGE convert. It ranks right up there with Bots.

It's interesting to see the camps you mentioned in your post (and thanks SO MUCH for your thoroughness) because they are all places we considered when planning our trip. So, I'm curious, of the ones you mentioned, which are your absolute favorites?

Susan
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 08:07 AM

Here is one canoe comment. I canoed the Chifungulu Channel between Sausage Tree and Old Mondoro and it was the best. I talked with a South African who had done several previous canoe trips and their Chifungulu experience (different trip than mine) was their best canoe experience ever too. They remarked on how many more animals they saw. Same for me. So if you can incorporate this full day's paddle into your canoeing plans I think you'd be satisfied.

Canoeing and horseback riding. What a great and active combo!
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 10:07 AM

Funny you should mention horseback riding and canoeing because I was considering the same type of trip for next year http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34862356

I've never been canoeing in Africa but have been on a riding safari in northern Tanzania. I arranged it through Makoa Farm. The game viewing rides are on Ndarakwai ranch where we fly camped but you can also stay at the tented camp on the ranch if you prefer. You can read about it in my trip report (the riding portion starts with Day 16) http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34719569 and my photos are here http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=0&y=-dle0fg

Ours was a private safari. It was just my husband, me and the owners of Makoa, but they can also put you together with a group www.makoa-farm.com

Yvonne did a similar trip but stayed at the tented camp on Ndarakwai http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34865981

There's another riding outfitter in northern Tanzania www.safaririding.com but I haven't used them before.

In Kenya, El Karama ranch can organize a camping/riding safari www.horsebackinkenya.com

We've stayed at El Karama but haven't done the riding safaris there. We'll be staying there again in December and plan to do some day riding on the ranch, staying in their cottages, which is another option.

Unfortunately, I can't think of where you could go canoeing for several days in East Africa.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 10:51 AM

CheetahGirl,

There is a trip report (or maybe two reports from different years) by "Girlpolo" for horseback riding in Botswana. She is a semi-regular poster and may respond to your thread. Her trip reports can be found under the Southern Africa Trip Index:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34858382