Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Mountain Gorilla viewing: are the countries safe enough?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Everyone,

Been on safari twice(Tanzania and Botswana) so far, but my wifes dream is to view the mountain gorillas. Are the countries Rwanda and Uganda safe enough to travel to? Any recommendations from anyone?

Thanks

Old Dec 5th, 2006, 09:44 AM

Wittsdd-
Yes, go and enjoy! You've nothing to worry about as far as the safety factor.

When do you plan on going? What type of recommendations are you looking for?

Sandy
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 10:09 AM

For a visitor they are as safe as anywhere, including where I live.

While I view the countries as equally safe, I think the gorilla viewing experience is slightly better in Rwanda from my experience.
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 10:42 AM

I felt safer in Rwanda than I do in many parts of the U.S.
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 10:46 AM

i would just like to speak up for uganda's safety. i lived there alone and traveled to the hinterlands day and night, the ugandans are very peaceful kind people.

kerikeri
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the responses. I plan on going in late July of next year. I am undecided about either Rwanda or Uganda, just looking for great Mountain Gorilla viewing. Any lodges/guides anyone can recommend? Also, would 2 permits be enough?
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 12:47 PM

Perfect time to go! Two permits is the minimum I would recommend and is what most people do. Ideally do 2 gorilla visits in PNV, then travel to Bwindi and do 1 there. You get to Bwindi the night of your second PNV gorilla visit with no wasted day. There are also the golden monkeys in PNV that were beautiful and fascinating.

Bwindi--Gorilla Forest camp is superb. Here is a link to a recent report that concurs.
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34909259
I’ve also stayed at Mantana Camp and found it to be very nice. I’ve heard that it has gone downhill some as of late.

PNV—Gorilla Nest was very convenient (10-15 minutes from Ranger Station) and reasonable. A bit chilly in the rooms, fine food. Beautiful flock of resident crowned crane. It’s where I’d go again taking everything into account. There is a new facility going up that is owned by the Governor’s Camps from Kenya that is supposed to be much nicer and I believe even more convenient and more costly. Don’t know when that is to be completed. Maybe it’s done now. Vurunga Lodge operated by Volcanoes Safaris is fantastic. I’ve visited but never stayed there overnight. However, it is 45 minutes to an hour away from the Ranger Station.
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 01:08 PM

They haven't even broken ground on the new Governor's camp yet, so unless they do it soon and quickly, I don't think it will be an option.

I have stayed at Volcanoes Lodge and it's nice, a beautiful view, just no electricity in the rooms and that bumpy long drive to PNV. You can charge batteries etc. in the lounge area.

There is also the Kinigi guest house with moderate but clean accommodations and then of course, the Muhabura Hotel in Ruhengeri which is a 30-40 minute drive to the park.

They are in the process of paving the roads to Kinigi now so it should alleviate some of the bumpiness from Ruhengeri.

I'll also be reporting back (I promise I'll try) in Feb. upon my return on the status of everything.
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 01:21 PM

As someone else indicated, I would much rather walk around Kigali, Rwanda than virtually any big American city at night.

Ironically I am 2/3rds of the way through <b>We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will be Killed With Our Families: Stories from Rwanda (Paperback) </b>

This is an amazing, devastating book. I chronicles the history of Rwanda before 1994, the genocide itself and after 1994.

It is hard to believe all of this happened in the most beautiful country I have ever been to

But YES go to Rwanda and see the gorillas. Let NOTHING stop you.

Old Dec 5th, 2006, 02:07 PM

I stayed at the Murahabura in Ruhengeri and thought it was great value for money. The Murahabura arranged for a driver for us for $50, that's the going rate for the drive to/fro the PNV. The driver will pick you up and take you to the PNV headquarters the morning of your trek, then you will most likely drive to the base of your trek (different gorilla groups live on different volcanoes) and then will be there to take you back at the end of your trek.

Your guide will be assigned to you. Just make sure you get your permits in advance.

There are a number of recent trip reports from Rwanda that you can get more detailed info from.