Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Full moon or New Moon -- what's your preference?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2006, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can think of advantages to each while on safari.

During a full moon, you'd see lots more images on the ground at night (both on drives and at the camp) -- I'm thinking especially about sitting on a veranda and watching the outlines of elephants on the plains.

During a new moon, the sky would be incredible with stars.

For those who've been lucky enough to experience both, what are your thoughts?
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 07:13 AM

Full moon definitely. Being able to observe wildlife at night is exhilirating. Seeing stars is wonderful too, but you can go to a rural location at home and do that.

P.S. We took an inexpensive night vision scope on our last safari, and it works much better in bright moonlight. With it, we were easily able to observe large animals like hippos and elephants a quarter of a mile away.

Chris
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 07:39 AM

I've been told by guides that right after a full moon the wildlife viewing is at a low. It is harder for night time predators to hunt successfully so they tend to disperse more. One guide went so far as to wonder whether an old leopard would make it through the next full moon.

My personal safari experiences have roughly coincided with slightly poorer viewing right after the full moon. I've been able to form a correlation, but not a real strong one.

You can see more on night drives with a full moon and that is nice. If lions are going to hunt at night, you can likely time it to before the full moon is out, while it's still dark. But predators are often less active when the full moon is shining because their success rate is reduced.

Here are a few specifics on a full moon: On the Zim side of Vic Falls, you are supposed to be able to see a rainbow in the falls at night during a full moon. I read somewhere (maybe on this forum) that the Serengeti wildebeest calving often begins after the first full moon in Feb. But that's not a predictable situation, with many other factors involved.

In future safaris when I am very flexible with my dates, I will consider the moon phase and try to go when it is not full. But moon phase will be at the bottom of my list of factors. Free FF tickets will supercede the phase of the moon.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Chris, and great info, atravelynn! You and I are on exactly the same page wrt FF ticket priorities -- I started gearing up for a future trip when a coupon for 20% off FF miles showed up in yesterday's mail.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 12:00 PM

Does anyone know the moonphase website so i can check what moon there'll be in the sabi sands next week?
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 12:01 PM

Got it: http://www.kwathabeng.co.za/travel/s...-calendar.html
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 12:03 PM

have to back up lynns point in terms of predator viewing. It usually drops around the full moon period. They become too visible to their prey. That said, it can mean they a more active just after dusk.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 01:31 PM

The darker, the better. Yes, you can see animals further off with a good moon, but dark nights make for better predator activity and it's easier to get close to the prey species because they are less skittish.

John
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 07:49 PM
santharamhari

Rizzuto,

Personally.....i dont much care for night time drives. However, i like looking at the stars. Especially, on the drive back to camp....also, from that little fire place at Lebala you can look out into the horizon......

Hari

Old Dec 30th, 2006, 04:34 AM
aby

Full moon or New Moon?? - HONEYMOON is my preference...

couldn't figure out what the guides meant
<i>&quot;One guide went so far as to wonder whether an old leopard would make it through the next full moon.</i>
leopards do hunt quite often during dusk &amp; dawn and even daylight

Old Dec 30th, 2006, 05:47 AM
lbj

aby,

Although leopards are opporuntistic hunters, the number of kills during a new moon period declines as the majority of their hunting is done at night. This is because their superior vision gives them an advantage.

I think the statement about the old leopard was that it probably die relatively soon. Especially with the added pressure of not be in the advantageous position it gains from total darkness

Old Dec 31st, 2006, 10:23 AM

Honeymooon! Good one.

The old leopard that the guide referred also was nursing a couple of cubs, if that helps clarify.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 09:31 AM

Thanks Rizzuto. I remember that. Wondered if a lit waterhole altered the moonlight issue. Maybe it would add to the illumination of being able to see better. Or not.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 10:43 AM

Lynn and others - Request for clarification regarding full moon and wildebeest birthing.

I had not heard that the wildebeest birthing followed the first full moon in February, but that makes sense to me, and would certainly make my trip planning easier. What I thought I read was that mating followed the first full moon at the end of the rainy season. So, depending on the rains and when during the month the full moon falls, that could be either the May or June full moon, with birthing 8 1/2 months later. Is that correct? That timing might coincide with the first full moon in February, I'm not sure. The reason I'm asking is because I am considering Uganda and Rwanda for February of 2009. I want to combine it with some time in the Serengeti and would love to increase my chances of seeing the wildebeest birthing.

Thanks,
Dana

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 04:23 PM

I have read that the wildes start giving birth after the 1st full moon in Feb. But these last few years that has not been true. Then there are the early birhs and late births that are not part of the 80%-90% that give birth in the same approx. 3-week period. I've even checked on the full moons in Feb and some are so late that it would really be March after the full moon and some would be the first day or two of Feb. and that could be too early.

I've also tried to count forward from the mating. I wondered if you could find out when the bulk of the mating takes place, depending on rains, etc., then book your Februrary trip accordingly.

It just seems to be a crap shoot in timing your trip with the birthing.

I too would love to visit the Serengeti someday during the birthing season.

There are some threads on this wildebeest birthing subject. I'll see if I can find any.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 04:26 PM

Here is the thread I was thinking of. I ask Predator about timing the rut. If you are looking at Feb in the Serengeti, his other answers and itinerary might also be helpful. He is going this Feb.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 04:42 PM

I have been an angler and a wild life enthusiast for may years, recently stalking leopards in the jungles of Yala, Sri Lanka quite passionately. One thing I have learnt is leopard sighting during the day are much better during the dark phase of the moon (new moon), and also the fishing is much better during the dark phase.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 07:13 PM

Hari, did you read that? Keep it in mind for your Sri Lanka trip.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 08:54 PM

Thanks for the tip!
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 06:58 AM

Lynn,
Did you mean to put in a link? If I have an idea of content/date I could click your name and maybe find it. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -