Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

How much time does one need in the Crater?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am wondering if I should spend one or two nights at the Crater, staying at Serena Lodge. Would one morning game drive (I assume it would be 6 hours in total) be enough time there?
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 08:42 PM

Raelond,

I think 6 hours would be plenty and I am planning on the earliest start possible with breakfast in the Crater.

Cheers,

Pol.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 05:19 AM
VDB

One of my friends spent their entire trip at the crater and never regretted or tired of it! They wished to stay in one spot to get a deeper experience. I have not yet been, but intend to spend 2 - 1/2 days and think 1/2 isn't enough for such a spectacular location. There are many others on this forum that will have an experineced opinion, but this is just mine Definately check with the park's most recent rules as there were talks of limiting consecutive days entrance.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 05:48 AM

We stayed four nights and saw totally different things each morning. The crowds are a bit much after 8 AM but at the Serena you're close to the descent road so can go in early if you bring a box breakfast. Also a hassle that you can only go in a half day now.

Bill
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 07:38 AM

If you are going to other locations, I would only recommend 2 nights at Ngorongoro. This gives you an afternoon and an entire day the next day.

I like camping over near Sopa, which allows to me to get in and out of the crater quite easily and quickly. No long drives. I can also eat lunch on the rim of the crater, which relieves the congestion down at the usual picnic spots.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 08:13 AM

Where else are you going raelond? Seeing where the crater fits in the big plan may help.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 08:19 AM

We also did 2n. at the crater and were happy we did. This allowed us to take our time and enjoy without the feeling of missing out on anything or being rushed - hate that.

It's very subjective, though.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 10:32 AM

I agree with Cybor - it's very subjective. I personally feel that 2 1/2 days would be better than just 1 visit. The crater is often considered the eighth wonder of the world - one of the world's greatest natural spectacles. It is quite amazing to see the Masai grazing their cattle in the crater next to the herds of wildebeest and zebras. On another note, there are also opportunities to hike the rim which can be added to a 2 night itinerary.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 11:20 AM

One must also bear in mind the cost of descending more than once, your descent fee is per trip down as far as I can recall although when I went in 2005 we did an afternoon and then the following morning for one fee. Be sure to be the first vehicle at the gate in the morning and then you feel like you have the place to yourself, at least for a short while.

And where we camped - at Simba A there was a stack of wildlife in the campsite itself - elephants, buffalo, hyena etc - all wandering about between the tents!

And as Atravelynn says, it all depends on the rest of your schedule.

Matt
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 12:52 PM
sandi

In 2005 you could do the two back-to-back visits to the crater floor for one fee... certainly less than the increases that finally went into effect in 2006. The increases impacted the per vehicle fee, crater fee, conservation fee... I have since forgotten in which order each was applied. And now for 2007, other increases have gone into effect, some as Jan 1, others will be as July 1. What will be in 2008... stay tuned.

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 01:23 PM

Can anyone say for sure yet whether the fee increase has lessened the crater traffic?
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 02:00 PM
sandi

With tourism back to pre-9/11 numbers, beginning in '04 and increasing again in '05; certain the '06 numbers will also be up... and most visitors to Tanzania traversing the Northern circuit... few visitors bypass the crater. Visitors may pass on the crater if they have been previously, but almost certainly not first time (only time) visitors. My guess would be, if numbers are up, even with the increase in fees, just as many if not more vehicles are entering the crater. So much for preserving the eco-system. Though the increases can be considered high, there hadn't been any in years - certainly not in the '01, '02 & '03 seasons when tourism was in the toilette. Are the increases really that out of line? I think not, considering that most visitors don't have with what to compare (but us Fodorites who keep on top of such things)!!!

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 05:57 PM
santharamhari

Raelond,

Personally, i wouldnt do more than one night in the crater. Yes, it is a natural phenomenan and yes there are plenty of animals round every corner....but, the crowds down in the crater are over-whelming........

Hari

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

atravelynn, I am going to Tarangire, Crater, Olakira camp, Sayari and possibly Suyan camps in early August, 2008. It's interesting that some people think one game drive is enough and others can't get enough of the Crater. Perhaps it depends on what time of year they visit.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 05:09 AM

Time of year, time of day, how good (knowledgable)your operater is etc. all matter.

Also, some people like to do fly by viewing, while others want to savior and wait for the kill or a particular activity, etc.

There's another thread out there somewhere discussing this in detail - perhaps someone can remember.

Sandi,
Good points.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 07:15 AM

<b>It's interesting that some people think one game drive is enough and others can't get enough of the Crater.</b>

To me it seems the people who can focus on just the animals really enjoy the crater and have no problems doing extra days there, because the animals are so thick and habituated to jeeps it's almost like driving in a game park.

People who don't want as many days are probably put off by the other migration, that of people in jeeps, and by the feeling that it's too overcrowded down there, especially after early AM.

I can see both sides

Bill