Gorrilla tour question

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gorrilla tour question

I have read many postings on this site recommending people to buy at least 2 permits - is that because there is a good chance you won't see any gorillas in one viewing? I definitely can't afford two permits, so I am wondering if I should just save gorilla viewing for a more prosperous future date. I would hate to spend the hundreds of dollars to get all the way there if there's a good chance I won't see anything. Thanks!
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

just wanted to add...especially given that I just read the permits are going up from $375 to $500!
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 02:59 PM

You will definitely see gorillas. People buy two permits because they want to trek twice.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 03:05 PM

You are 99.999999999 percent certain of seeing gorillas. They have people go out earlier and locate them.

I have never heard of anyone missing out.

It is just that experience can be very different with every group, on any given day. One day a group may lounge and sleep, 15 minutes from where you park your vehicles. Another group may be two hours away, scattered out and on the run on a hillside that is tough to keep up with.

The uniqueness of each visit is what makes it all wonderful, but yes one visit can be quite different from another, which is why 2 visits is ideal.

But if you can only afford one, then do one.
Don't put it off!
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 04:04 PM

mp413,

You've been given good advice here.

In Uganda on each of my 3 visits over a 9 year period, I did encounter people each time who did not see the gorillas. So it does happen.

In Rwanda, I did not meet anyone who did not see the gorillas nor did I hear of recent reports of missing the gorillas. But when I asked, the guides said it happened on rare occasions. I think those 99.999 odds WayneHazel gave you are fairly accurate for Rwanda. My own personal odds in Uganda and Rwanda are 100% with not a poor visit in the bunch.

Other things can affect your viewing, though, such as weather. You get one hour to see the gorillas rain or shine. If one visit was spent in a complete downpour, you might like another and hope for better conditions.

The contrast between visits that WayneHazel mentions is also nice to experience and you can only get that contrast with more than one visit.

The first visit I was so awestruck and excited that I was glad I had another opportunity to see the gorillas from a calmer, more observant perspective. So that reason for 2 permits has more to do with the observer than the gorillas.

Finally, the permits are costly, but add up the cost and time to get to PNV. For the investment to get there, you may want another visit to make the whole transportation undertaking more worthwhile.

"I would hate to spend the hundreds of dollars to get all the way there if there's a good chance I won't see anything." If the odds of success were slim, they couldn't charge $500/permit. There would be too few takers.

The gorillas, at least in Rwanda, are about as sure of thing as you can get in nature. The odds are darn good in Uganda too.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 05:37 PM

You are going all the way there to see gorillas so be sure you do. Find some way (have a garage sale, work a second job, etc.) to raise the extra $$$ and get your second permit. Imagine how you would feel if you went all the way and didn't get to see them. All of my friends who have done it say it's one of the high points of their lives. So go now and experience it while they are still around and you can go. Just do it!
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 06:58 PM

I agree. The gorillas in Rwanda are such an extraordinary experience that I too would recommend that you find a way to make 2 treks. (I also agree with the 99.999% estimate.) Let's see, a vente latte at Starbucks is ?? $3.50. I would willingly give up my morning latte for a half-year to have another hour with those magnificent Rwandan gorillas.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 07:57 AM

The gorillas were on the Today Show this morning. Here is the link provided by my BIL.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032633/?ta=y
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 08:33 AM

This is an excellent story.

Yes it is amazing that with all that happened in Rwanda, it is amazing there are ANY gorillas left.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 08:45 AM

It is an excellent story. But did anyone else think it is strange that a person supposedly from a gorilla conservation organization doesn't know how many tourist-accessible groups of gorillas there are (he says "four or five," and the number is actually 7)? And can't provide a population estimate except "between 500 and 800"?

Chris
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Wow, I am so glad I asked this question! I had written off the possibility of doing this until I read these responses, so thanks to all. I am convinced, I am going to do it! I wish it were as simple as swearing off a cup of cofee every day, but as a law student going into the public interest sector I have much larger money issues than Starbucks But I am definitely going to spend the money for at least one gorilla visit. Thanks again for all the replies!