Help with Kenya / Tanzania - April 07

Old Feb 27th, 2007, 10:09 PM
jnk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Kenya / Tanzania - April 07

Hi All,

The timeline is tight, but we are planning a trip to Kenya / Tanzania this coming April and would like to seek advice.

Is it possible to visit both Kenya and Tanzania in 10 days, covering the following areas: Masai Mara, Amboseli and/or Samburu, Serengeti, Ngorongoro, Lake Manyara and/or Tarangire.

Can you advise how many days we should stay in each area and in which accommodation? Our main interest is to see wildlife.

I've contacted Good Earth, Green Footprint, Sunny, Roys and Go2Africa, but this was before we decided to add Kenya to the itinerary. Have not heard back from Roys, but I wrote back to all the other companies asking them to add Kenya.

Any suggestions you might have would be greatly helpful. Thanks so much!
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 02:03 AM
aby

Hi jnk

Generally it is better to 'more time at less places' = at least 3-4 nights at major parks. It is possible to have 2 nights only at a park with 1 night only in Manyara; It has its "cost":time wasted on travelling, packing-repacking etc'

Basically our first decision would be:
Air or land travel
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 02:27 AM
aby

sorry pressed "post" by mistake...
These are the basic options:

1. LAND option Amboseli + TZ
Amboseli + Tanzania
Amboseli 2-3 nights
(option: Arusha 1 night if u leave Amboseli late. leaving early morning u can make it to Manyara)
Manyara 1 night
Ngorongoro 1-2 nights
Serengeti 4 nights

Tarangire is not at its best during April as most animals have migrated out

2. LAND option TZ only

3. Flight option Samburu + TZ
IMO Samburu should be the second or third park after Serengeti (and possibly Ngorongoro)
Samburu 2-3 nights
flight to Sam & from Sam to TZ
Manyara 1 night
Ngorongoro 1-2 nights
Serengeti 4-5 nights
April is migration time in Serengeti

4.Flight option Mara +Samburu + TZ (if you insist on both Mara & Serengeti. i love Mara & it is superb even when migration is out, but i'd settle for serengeti only taking into account TIME...)
Samburu 2 nights (2 flights)
Mara 2 nights (2 flights)
Manyara 1 night
Ngorongoro 1 night
Serengeti 4 nights

personally i recommend No 3
but Land/Air is a first decision 4u, before we proceed

aby

There are other options as well (i would have added other places you haven't mentioned. but wanred to make the story short
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 08:54 AM
jnk
Original Poster

hi aby,

thank you so much for taking time to outline the different options.

this is our first safari, and we wanted to get a lot in -- but prehaps you're right, it would be better to spend more time in less places.

if we do tanzania only, what would be your suggested itinerary? again, our main focus is to see wildlife, big 5.

below is 2 sample itinerary from 2 different companies:

OPTION 1
1. Arusha National Park (Serena Mountain Village Lodge)
2. Lake Manyara National Park (Lake Manyara Serena Lodge)
3. Serengeti (Serengeti Serena Lodge)
4. Serengeti (Serengeti Serena Lodge)
5. Serengeti (Serengeti Serena Lodge)
6. Serengeti (Serengeti Serena Lodge)
7. Serengeti (Serengeti Serena Lodge)
8. Serengeti (Ngorongoro Serena Lodge)
9. Ngorongoro Crater (Ngorongoro Serena Lodge)
10. Drive back to Arusha.

OPTION 2
1. Arrive in Arusha (New Arusha Hotel)
2. Arusha National Park (New Arusha Hotel)
3. Lake Manyara (Lake Manyara Serena Lodge)
4-5 Serengeti (Serengeti Ndutu Lodge)
6-7. Central Serengeti (Serengeti Serena Lodge)
8. Ngorongoro Crater (Ngorongoro Serena Lodge)
9. Ngorongoro Crater (New Arusha Hotel)
10. Depart Arusha

We would like 10-11 days of safari altogether. I noticed that company 1 has us in the Serengeti for 6 days - is this too much? What areas of the Serengeti should we concentrate on?

If you have alternative suggestions on itinerary and/or accomodations, we would love to hear it.

Thanks so much!
jnk
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 11:14 AM

#1 would be good if the Serengeti was your main focus and you were staying in some mobile camps. This is not how most people would spend a first safari and you indicated an interest in seeing other areas. Therefore I don't think this is best.

#2 would get you to the Ngorongoro Crater and Manyara, besides just the Serengeti. I'd do all nights in the Ndutu area if you can.

See these migration links.

http://go-safari.com/Serengeti/serengeti.htm

http://www.ultimateafrica.com/Wildebeest_migration.html

Good luck
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 12:59 PM
jnk
Original Poster

hi lynn - why do you suggest staying in the Ndutu area all 4 nights instead of moving to the central serengeti?
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 02:04 PM

Just because that's where the bulk of the migration will likely be that time of year. The earler in April, the more that is true. But the central Serengeti always has resident game so staying there is not a bad move.

Another reason is that I prefer a longer stay when I can manage it over numerous 2 night stays and I prefer to reduce the number of hours driving lodge-to-lodge. Your drive within the Serengeti is more likely to produce animals, though, than between other parks. One more plus is you can go off road in Ndutu.

It is curious why company #1 has so much Serengeti time, especially if you mentioned you'd like to see some of the parks you mentioned here. (Or did you just emphasize you wanted to maximize wildlife viewing?) Do you know where they would have you staying? Is it a mobile? Such an itinerary could be very attractive IF that is what you desired.

Manyara is not at its peak in April, but a stop there would be fine. The hippos that the park is noted for should be lounging around the hippo pool and Manyara makes sense from a driving standpoint.

Good luck and I wouldn't delay too long since we are now in March.

Old Mar 1st, 2007, 02:18 PM

jnk, we were there last April with an itinerary similar to your Option 1 (we spent 2 nights at Manyara, 7 at Serena Serengeti, one more night at Manyara on the way back to Arusha). Have also done two trips in January that are similar to your Option 2 (recently did 2 nights Manyara, 7 nights Ndutu, 3 nights Ngorongro for example).

So with that experience here are my comments ...

April is the season for the "long rains" and Option 1 is a safer bet since the roads are better in this central Serengeti area. However we felt the Serena was a bit far from the best game viewing areas (about 45 minutes last April). A few days there is fine but I wouldn't stay there 7 nights again.

The potential problem with Option 2 is that if it really rains hard you'll likely run into access problems near Ndutu because the roads aren't as good. We were lucky to avoid this in mid-January but people there 2-3 weeks earlier than us were getting stuck in the mud often.

Also Ngorongoro can be difficult to get around in during the rains ... we had more problems there in late January than anywhere else and had to take passengers from another jeep to the rim when their vehicle got stuck.

We skipped Ngornogoro entirely last April because of concerns about access.

So your choice boils down to a safer trip with less variety (Opt 1) vs taking a bit more risk if the rains are heavy with Opt 2. I personally would rather do Opt 2 but I'm generally lucky with the weather and don't mind gambling a bit to see more places.

I would not want to be in a tented camp that time of year because of the rains. Many of them simply shut down because of access issues. I also wouldn't advise staying just at Ndutu instead of central Serengeti in April (even though that's what we did in January). Splitting it up like Opt 2 looks like a good idea to me, so long as you are aware of the potential problems caused by heavy rains.

Bill
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 03:36 PM
jnk
Original Poster

hi lynn / bill,

thank you so much for your detailed replies. i have a few more questions if you don't mind...

1. this is our first safari and we really want a great experience. with that said, and April being rain season... should we postpone the safari to a better time? if we don't go on a safari this april - i'm thinking of a northern europe / scandinavia cruise.

2. if you think april is ok, even with the rain, we we opt to go with option #2. something like:

1 Arusha NP - (New Arusha Hotel)
1 Lake Manyara - (Serena)
2 Southern Serengeti - (Ndutu Lodge)
3 Central Western Serengeti - (Serena)
2 Ngorongoro CA - (Serena)

so my questions if we go with the above itinerary, is which accommodation should we go with. The accommodations in parenthesis above is what the touring company has us down for. Do you think those accommodations are ok? Would like to know if you've had experience with any of the following and whether or not you would recommend it:

Arusha - Onsea House, Coffee Lodge
Manyara - Tree Lodge, E Unoto Retreat
Ngorongoro - Ndutu Lodge or Crater Lodge?

so many choices in the Serengeti - Mbuzi Mawe Camp Lodge,
Kusini Lodge, Speke’s Bay Lodge, Serengeti Safari Camp, Serengeti Migration Camp, Klein’s Camp Lodge
Grumeti River Camp Lodge. What would be best?

Thank you so so very much! It's already March and I need to book our tickets and reservations if we are indeed going next month.

Thanks again!
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 04:34 PM

we really want a great experience. with that said, and April being rain season... should we postpone the safari to a better time?

April is, shall we say, "interesting" and perhaps "challenging" because of the chance of too much rain. You should have a memorable trip but it's certainly easier to go later or earlier when the rains typically aren't as strong.

You can see what we photographed last April 1-10 at Manyara and Serengeti at this link (we had a lot of rain) ... http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/ta...2006/index.htm ... I would rather go in April than not go at all

which accommodation should we go with. The accommodations in parenthesis above is what the touring company has us down for. Do you think those accommodations are ok?

Sure, they are fine ... middle-of-the road in cost and service but fine. We've stayed at the Manyara Serena on three trips, at Ndutu twice (12 nights total) and at Serena Serengeti once (7 nights) and eaten lunch at the Serena Ngorongoro three times ... no problems for a mid-range safari.

Manyara - Tree Lodge

I think this is the luxury lodge deep inside the park and I wouldn't recommend in in April because you have to cross the Ndala and Endabash rivers to get there and when they flood you can't get across.

Ngorongoro - Ndutu Lodge or Crater Lodge?

These are REALLY different ... Crater Lodge is a famous luxury property on the crater rim, with deluxe service (personal butler), rose petals in the bath water, etc ... for about $1,800/night ... Ndutu is a rustic lodge about 2 hours from the crater but often ideal for animals during the migration, rack rate of $300 vs $1,800 though.

so many choices in the Serengeti - ... What would be best?

Last April the bulk of the animals were still far to the south near Naabi Hill, which is about 45 minutes from Ndutu (roads permiting) but several hours from all the lodges you mention. The Serena is OK for access to the Seronera area for a couple of days though.

In my opinion the lodges you mention are fine for a mid-range trip, with a good variety of locales. This is similar to what we did except we skipped Ngorongoro last April, but then we'd already been there before so planning a night there is a good idea for a first trip, I feel.

Bill

Old Mar 1st, 2007, 04:43 PM

We really enjoyed Klein's and Grumeti last fall. Klein's would be our first choice (although I wouldn't have missed the 200 hippos at Grumeti for anything). The advantage of Klein's is that they are outside the park but adjoining it. Depending on game, drives are given both in and out of the park. The advantage of being out of the park is that park rules about staying on the roads do not apply there so sightings can be approached. We had great leopard and lion views at Klein's because of this. Also there are many high spots on the property so it is relatively easy for rangers to drive up these and survey large sections rapidly and find animals quickly. The camp itself sits on a hill and offers a great view, like a mini crater experience. Check CCA's site for recent game sightings to get an idea of what to expect.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 09:27 PM

I will be in the Serengeti at the end of March and the first week of April. I have done a lot of research and I don't think you want to be in the northern part of the park or Kenya for that time of year. Most of the animals, including the migration, will be on the southern plains.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 04:32 AM
sandi

For travel in April with a good chance of rain, lodges are a good choice. In the areas you will be visiting there aren't many camp options; most of the mobile camps are closed, but for Nomads and Tanzanzia Under Canvas (TUC), both quite expensive even at low season prices.

In Arusha, the New Arusha is lovely. Onsea or Arusha Coffee Lodge are also lovely props, but if for 1/nt only on arrival, you may just be better with the New Arusha. Price for either f these options would cost a few $$$ more. Leaving early next morning on safari, you won't really have sufficient time to appreciate Onsea or ACL.

Tree Lodge in Manyara, besides fact it's a good 2/hr drive from park entrance, at the farthest end of park, is tres tres expensive. E-Unoto Retreat here is a lovely option to the Serena, a few dollars more, but not much.

At the Crater, the Crater lodge even at low season prices, is another expensive property. Stick with the Serena. Unless this is the one place you want to blow your budget, if they have room available.

Southern/Ndutu Areas - If you can add another day to Ndutu, I'd recommend. So 3/days here and 2/days in Central.

Mbuzi Mawe is one of few camps open at this time and there is game (if not the large herds) in central. This could be an option to the Serena Serengeti if you want a camp experience.

Speke's Bay is way out the western gate on Lake Victoria... way out of your way. No reason to be here.

Grumeti River - like Speke's Bay, but not as far is in the Western corridor which is great for June/July.

Migration and Klein's Camps are both up north. No reason to be here at this time, either - besides the expense and added driving. A long drive back to Ngorongoro unless you fly. If flying it has to be to Manyara (closest scheduled airstrip), where you then have a drive back (2.5/hrs) to Ngorongoro.

Kusini is the only other possible option, but a bit far west in the Ndutu area, but would afford you a camping experience. If not Mbuzi Mawe up north in central, maybe consider 2/nts Ndutu Lodge and 2/nts Kusini*; then 1/nt only Central. *Kusini will be more expensive than Ndutu.

Yes, there are lots of choices, but not all ideal for every month of the year and the "wet" season is somewhat restricting. However, with all the recent wet, you may just luck out and have no rain while you're on safari, but no one will be able to know for sure till you're on the ground. For certain though, Africa will be "green."

Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 09:35 AM

"Should we postpone the safari to a better time?"

I did not realize that was an option for you. If it is, then I would go at a different time when potential rains and poor road conditions are not such an issue. April would seem like too big of a gamble to me. I'm not a gambler.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 12:33 PM
sandi

With the negatives for April travel, and if you're not restricted to this specific time, consider a different period. Big difference will be that prices will be higher.

April/May is low-season in Tanzania and Kenya.
Low season also Nov-mid-December and June in Kenya.
The rest of the year in both countries are at mid- or high-season prices.

Old Mar 6th, 2007, 01:42 AM
jnk
Original Poster

thank you all so much for your advice and input. tick tock tick tock - decision decision time!