Mara Intrepids - New Tents

Old May 14th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mara Intrepids - New Tents

I just spent the weekend at Mara Intrepids in the new tents (32/33). They were fantastic. Tents 1-14 are in the process of being up-graded by end of June. 32-25 are already done. 15-31 will be done by the end of the year.

We stayed in 32/33 which is called a family tent. The two tents have a lounge area in between with direct acess from each tent, as well as seperate verandah's overlooking the river.

The bathroom's have twin vanity's (modern bowl type basins), a seperate shower with a glass window looking into the vanity area of the bathroom (has a curtin if you seek privacy), and a seperate toilet.

Each tent has either 2 twin beds, or a double bed (which will all be replaced in the next 4-6 weeks).The floors are hard wood, and feel great to walk on.

Furniture is modern, yet has a distinct safari feel to it, with mini bars.

The new tents make Explorer look outdated.

The GM told us that the dining area will be moved to the River front, along where the conference room is, and the conference room will move back to where the exsisiting dining room is.

They also have 9 brand new vehicles that are extremley comfortbale (either 5 or 7 seater). They are more roomy then the old vehicles and they have bar fridges (great for cold beers on game drives).

So anyone going to Intrepids, ask for the new tents and vehciles.
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:31 AM

I'll be in 2/weeks. Staying at Exlorer, with visit at Intrepid's. You know, site inspection!

Knew Heritage had plans to refurbish their properties, Intrepid's especially - Samburu and Mara - looking forward to seeing the updates.

Thanks for preview.

Old May 14th, 2007, 07:00 AM

When will the Explorer tents also be refurbished? We will be there in Nov.
Old May 14th, 2007, 10:56 AM

Explorer is actually a relatively new camp, believe less than 10/years, so I doubt refurbishing anytime soon; not till some of their other camps have been done. Then again... they may do Explorer next year; doubt by the time you visit in Nov '07. I'll inquire.
Old May 14th, 2007, 01:30 PM

Hi Roadwarriorafrica,
thanks for the update on mara intrepids I am going there for the first time on 20 July 07 for the weekend. It sounds great and glad for the information on the family tent as I am going with my two teenagers and a bit wary of them being inseparate tents, so I will ask my safari company to see if they can book 32/33.
Cathie
Old May 20th, 2007, 11:35 AM

Sandi or Cathie (or anyone else who knows)

We're going back to Samburu Intrepids in mid September having stayed there a few times before. If you can find out whether/when they'll be re-furbished, that would be great. The last time we were there - 2005 - the general areas (e.g. the decking in the public areas) needed some money spent on them.

Have also stayed a few times at Mara Intrepids but we're going back to Mara Explorer where we stayed a couple of years ago. Intrepids may well be newer now that it's being refurbished but Explorer is a different type of camp - only 10 tents and with a more intimate feel. And unless things have changed, the food was superb.

Whatever, I'm looking forward to it.

Chui.
Old May 20th, 2007, 02:28 PM

Chui -

Will let you know when I return.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 12:31 PM

Sandi or Cathie,

Any news on the tents at Explorer or Intrepids?

Chui
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 01:21 PM

Samburu Intrepid's, as best I could learn hasn't started their refurb work.

Mara Intrepid's as mentioned above has and all tents should be new by this writing.

Loved Explorer Camp, even without an upgrade. With so many of the new camps or those upgrading going for larger tents, Explorer tents are larger than some, maybe smaller than the newer ones out there. But, it's a lux 10/tent camp, on the river with views and hippos, private tents, wonderful management, guides, food, staff.

Guess, any changes will have to wait till Explorer gets to the top of the "to do" list.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 01:41 PM

I call the “tents” at Mara Intrepids tented palaces. But, as they’re completely animal proof – with an exception made for ants and vervet monkeys – I prefer the tents at Bushbuck Camp. Both can be found among my photos. There’re more topi photos though.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...0&y=u81ius
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 01:50 PM

<i>Samburu Intrepid's, as best I could learn hasn't started their refurb work.</i>

So much for sticking to the June 2007 completion date
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 02:34 PM

The vervet monkeys have already figured out the velcro closures on the new Mara Intrepids tents. No keeping them away if they want in, they'll figure out how... little rascals!
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 03:24 PM

Nyamera,
What a nice collection of photos and what's it doing hiding in this thread? They deserve a thread of their own! Cute baby topis, lucky serval sightings, liked the stuck vehicle series, vultures with the lion carcass, headless chickens and two headed zebras, the melanistic bush baby, so many interesting photos. You did well with your new camera!
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 03:38 PM

Nyamera, I agree with Patty -- your album deserves its own thread so people can find it! What amazing photos, and I'm looking forward to hearing the stories behind some of them! (hint hint)
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 04:10 PM

They’ll get their own thread when I’ve finished the first part of my trip report.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 12:37 AM

Sandi,

Thanks for that - very useful.

I've been to both Samburu and Mara Intrepids a few times and Mara Explorer once. This year we're going back to Samburu Intrepids and Mara Explorer.

Explorer is still our favourite - the tents are nice. I'm not impressed by the so-called luxurious accommodation of some other camps per se - other things like game viewing and flexibility are more important to me. The food at Explorer is the best we've had in several trips to Kenya. Also, the general ambience in the camp and the quality of guides is first class. I'm content with it as it is now.

Shame about Samburu Intrepids. The public areas and the tents were looking a bit &quot;tired&quot; last time we were there. For some reason it does seem to lose out on refurbs, possibly because there's not so much competition with other camps in the Samburu as in the Mara.

If Cathie has any further comments, I'd appreciate them.

Chui.