Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

gorilla trekking: What you wish you had known before you went.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

I will be heading for Uganda to go Gorilla trekking from Sept. 1-3. Never been and not sure exactly what to expect, but I can hardly wait for the adventure to begin. Just wondering what advice you can give to a first time trekker such as, the one thing you wish you had taken but didn't. I just want to be as prepared as possible.

Thanks,
ndonna
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 07:28 PM

Have a wonderful time.

I was glad I took a walking stick and had a way to carry my water bottle on my person so I could sip whenever and not just when we stopped. The stops are as often as you wish, but to maintain hydration, I liked to drink more frequently. I was also glad I had a rain cover for my backpack during a couple of downpours and that I had packed rainpants in addition to a raincoat.

Once I wished I had a granola bar with me when the hike to the gorillas took really long. Usually you eat lunch after finding them.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 07:30 PM

Well, there is all kinds of advice that you can get from members of this forum, as many of us have been gorilla trekking in Uganda. Assuming you are trekking from Buhoma (rather than Nkuringo or Mgahinga), I will tell you that there are three tourist groups accessible from there: Rushegura, Mubare and Habinyanja (sometimes just referred to by the first letter, like the "R Group&quot. Although the three groups move around, and so the difficulty of the treks can vary from day to day, the conventional wisdom is that Rushegura is the easiest trek, Mubare the medium-diffculty one, and Habinyanja the hardest.

If your permits are like ours from January of this year, you have already been assigned to a particular group. Take a look at your permits, or ask your tour operator which group you are assigned to. If you don't like your assignment, you can try to switch with someone else the morning of the trek, and our experience was that there was a mad dash of people trying to move into Rushegura from the harder groups. I trekked to the Habinyanja Group and it was an excellent experience, probably the best of four gorilla treks I did in Rwanda and Uganda. You can see some of the gorillas from that group here:
http://www.pbase.com/cwillis/habinyanja

I also wrote a detailed trip report, including a discussion of trekking in Uganda, which you can find by just searching my name on this Forum.

There is a lot to know in advance for these things, from how to dress, to tipping your porters, to photography tips. I suggest you read people's trip reports on this Forum and then ask whatever additional specific questions you may have.

Enjoy your trip!

Chris
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 05:49 AM

Having more cash to tip porters & guides.
I did both a Kenya/Tanzania safari & Gorilla Trekking. I was a little drained by the end of the trip. The gorilla trekking was the last 2 days of nearly a month. I would consider putting that first.

Yet the trekking was so unique and amazing it was a great climax emotionally.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 06:02 AM

Even if you don't think you'll need to rely on a porter, please hire one so that someone gets a solid day of employment.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 07:02 AM

Okay,

I've been a bad girl and haven't posted my trip report yet (promise to start it tonight) but got lots of advice from this forum.

The ONLY thing I wish I had considered that I didn't was the chance of suffering from altitude sickness, however mild. There were only four of us trekking Nkuringo that day and the two females, myself and Anne, both suffered. Anne on the way down and myself just after leaving the gorillas before our ascent. For myself it could have been largely avoided if I had drunk lots of water. Looking back, I was dehydrated. During our trip, I would limit my water intake because of my ridcoulously small bladder (didn't want people to stop just for me) and I paid for it. Just keep on drinking and they'll stop whenever you need to. I learned my lesson and thank God I wasn't ill while we were with the gorillas. Also make sure you are well hydrated BEFORE you start off - I wasn't.

- Choose a well ventilated hat. You'd be amazed at the amount of heat you can trap there while trekking and it can get quite uncomfortable.
- Take more water then you think you'll need. Trust me.
- Use the porters. It's a walk in the park for them and it gives them some wages.
- Take extra money to tip not only the porters but the rangers and guides as well.
- Porters get paid 10 USD plus we also tipped. We were so happy with the experience that we were handing out money all around.
- Bring along a few protein/granola/whatever bars (tip from this forum). They are convenient and you may not like your packed lunch.
- Take pictures with your guides right after. We didn't and ours had already ran off when I thought to.
- Trail shoes are all you need (tip from this forum). Hiking boots weigh too much and don't have the breathabilty.
- Invest in quality socks and a pair of sock liners (tip from this forum). You'll be happy you did.
- Put that camera down and just take it in (tip from this forum). Every so often I would ahve to remind myself of that because it's so easy to get caught up in wanting the perfetc shot.
- Know your camera. No, really. I was so excited that I forgot so many things that of course came to me AFTER we left the gorillas. And I'm talking basic things. Thank God for editing software. LOL!

Enough from me. You'll have a blast.

Juliet
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 07:47 AM

Juliet, as a clarification to your point about altitude, the treks to the Nkuringo group start at about 7,000 feet (the altitude of the UWA office) and go down from there. If the original poster is going to Buhoma, the altitude is a lot lower, with treks starting around 4,500 feet and maybe going up as high as 6,000 or so. I am actually surprised you got altitude sickness even at the Nkuringo Group, as typically you only see that at altitudes of 10,000 feet or more.

Nevertheless, your advice about hydration is right on, as the Nkuringo trek for us was extremely strenuous and very hot, and we needed to drink a lot to keep going. My trek to the Habinyanja Group from Buhoma was even more strenuous and the weather was even hotter. But absolutely worth it, no doubt!

Chris
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 09:22 AM

Be aware of dehydration,okay- but donīt be afraid of altitude sickness.A minimalism of fitness you should bring to the trekkings, even if you can stop as often as you have to. we had to stop nearly every 5 minutes because of 3 ladies and as a result, we reached the gorillas after their resting and so we had to run after them with nearly no chance, taking great pictures.(our tour lasted 7 hours instead of 4 to 5!!)
By the way: bring with you a monopod, if you want to take good pictures.you may be lucky, to have light enough, but usually light is very poor - 800asa, 1/15 sec.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 10:51 AM

I'm sure it was more dehydration for me but Anne's was different. However both our symptoms were the same. I'm not sure if my newly diagnosed asthma had any play but it wouldn't warrant me bringing pills or anything the next time (yes, there will be a next time . Just be aware of what your body is telling you is the gist of it.

Another thing is the lighting can go either way. I was so set for low light conditions that I forgot how to adjust for too much light. That's right - they parked themselves in a sunny area causing most of my photos to be overexposed and their hair to look gray.

Juliet
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

I am thrilled with all of the replys and information so far. Yes, we will be in Buhoma I believe...Bwindi Forest...

All of the info on water, food, money, etc... is very helpful and I look forward to more tips to come.

We have a call coming up on Thurs. with our travel agent and will ask about the permit and group. My husband and I will soon be trying to get in a little bit better shape for the trek...not too bad for 50 at this point though. I don't want to be the one to hold up the group.

A coulple of questions from your replies.
Do you suggest taking your own walking stick? I had heard that they would supply.
Trail shoes...can you elaborate on those and give an example. I definately want the proper footwear.
Chris, I will look up your report. I look forward to reading it.
Juliet, LyndaS sent me to your packing list a while back just after you had left. Got the garden glove idea from it. I look forward to your report as well.

We are planning on hiring a Porter. I definately want to support everyone involved with the gorillas

Please keep the suggestions coming. I look forward to getting as much info as I can before leaving, which still seems like a dream!!!!

Thanks again,

Nancy
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:03 PM

Nancy,

With regard to a hiking staff, they will provide one for you which is basically a carved piece of wood. I took my own telescoping one from REI and I am glad that I did. Primarily, it was better than the wooden ones because it had a sharp metal tip that I could dig into the ground and use it as a brace as we were climbing and descending some very steep trails. The wooden ones aren't pointy enough to do that with.

When you make your decision about footwear, keep in mind that the Bwindi Impenentrable Forest is dense, muddy, and has a lot of bugs, especially red, stinging ants, and the terrain is very steep in places. I used hiking boots that went up over my ankles and was very glad I did. The added support on steep terrain was helpful, and I was able to tuck my pants legs into the boots to keep ants out -- I am pretty sure I was the only one in our group not to get any ant stings on the Habinyanja trek. Several of my trekking companions literally got "ants in the pants" as ants got up their pants legs and then commenced stinging!

Chris
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 01:46 PM

A telescoping walking stick from REI is one thing I hadn't seen mentioned before-maybe I missed it in previous reports but think I may add that to my list.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Chris,

I had heard that about the ants and tucking your pants legs into them. Thanks for the warning. I think that out of all the wild life that we will encounter, the large ants that you describe are the only things that might frighten me. I look forward to the Lions, Elephants, and especially the Gorillas.

I do have a retractable walking stick that my son gave me for the trip. I just wanted to make sure that it was worth taking. I will make sure my husband gets one too.

What about Gaitors. Early on when I found this WONDERFUL SITE, many people mentioned them. Would they be useful?

I did check out your pictures...they are wonderful. Just makes my anticipation greater.

Thanks again.

Nancy
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 04:54 PM

Nancy, the ants are actually not that big, they are about the size of red ants here in the United States, but there were stretches of our hike where the ground was literally covered with them, and they are small enough to get places where you don't want them to be. I had worn two pairs of socks and found several ants in between the layers.

Regarding gaitors (gaiters?), I have heard people talking about them on this forum, but I am not sure why you would want/need them on a gorilla trek. My impression was that they were designed to protect your pants legs from thorny plants and maybe even snake bites, but I don't think either of those is a big issue when you are gorilla trekking. Maybe someone else can explain why they might be helpful, but I did not use them and did not see anyone else doing so, either. I just wore waterproof hiking pants from REI (as did several of the guides, I might add) and that worked well for me.

Chris
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 08:47 PM

about walking sticks:

I wish for a souvenir I had bought one of the walking sticks that they sold at the shop close by. There were different sticks for each gorilla family that you saw.

An Amaharo and a Sabinyo stick would look great in my office right now...
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 04:15 AM

Regarding the gaiters. Some of our group found them useful solely because it was really muddy and during our Uganda January trip we were up to our ankles in mud on many occasions.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:08 PM

Some collapsible walking sticks are designed to double as a camera monopod. I got mine through Sierra Trading Post. I'd expect that REI has them, too.

As for gaiters, you can get lightweight ones that are meant for wet conditions rather than snow. They are very effective when worn in combination with rainpants and lightweight hiking boots.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 05:14 AM

I have the REI walking staff that "doubles as a monopod," but my two observations about it are this:

(1) It is not a very good monopod and doesn't really steady the camera very much compared to a real monopod.

(2) Based on our gorilla trekking experiences, I don't think it is very practical to expect to use a monopod while gorilla trekking. We were on uneven and frequently steep terrain, and almost every time, we had to follow the gorillas as they moved. Trying to deal with a monopod while doing that kind of moving around would, I think, be difficult. I think it is preferable to take a fast lens, or one with image stabilization, and just hand-hold instead of trying to use a monopod. Something like a 70-200/2.8IS would be a good choice, or a 100-400IS, which is what we used. Other members of this forum like Divewop and Sundowner have all shot their gorilla pictures handheld and have experienced good results.

Chris
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 09:17 PM

Canīt agree with chris about monopod. Of course it is depending to the circumstances. Not in Rwanda, but in Bwindi I was the only one of our group, bringing home applicable pictures.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info guys. Please keep it coming. I am in the process of decisions on clothes. I have a heavier pair of cargo pants that I am thinking might work better for the Trek, but they are a heavier weight than what I had planned for the safari. My question is, do you run into obstacles that might call for a thicker pant or would this be too hot? I will be in Bwindi on at the very beginning of Sept. What about shirt? Layer with short sleeve T-shirt under longsleeve outer? How about the material of longsleeve?

Thanks again and I look forward to all suggestions.

Nancy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -