Search

Micato Stanley Wing Safari

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Micato Stanley Wing Safari

We are planning our first safari and trip to Africa in 2008. We are considering the Micato Stanley Wing safari in May 2008. Is this a bad time of the year regarding rain and animal sightings? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 08:43 AM

LyndaS did the Stanley Wing Safari just last month. Here's a link to her wonderful trip report:
http://tinyurl.com/2chzgh
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 01:57 PM

Thanks Denis for the nice compliment! I did the Hemmingway Wing this eyar in May - it was last year that I did the Stanley Wing - here's the link to last year's Stanley Wing trip report - bflaig - make sure to get LOTS of coffee - it's long!

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34822022

May is a FABULOUS time to go - it was incredible both years for both itineraries (which are similar)
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info!
WE are indeed more comfortable planning
a trip with all this wonderful information.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 03:36 PM

sorry, knew it was some wing. even better reading with a couple of g&t's!
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 01:31 PM

My husband and I very recently got back from doing the Stanley Wing with Micato. Our departure date was May 27 and we returned June 10. As far as the time of year, we all thought it was perfect! The weather was great with two rain storms at night. The animals were beyond our expectations, with many babies, and even seeing what they call the 'body' of the migration. Crowds were very low. One might say one negative were the tall grasses at this time of year. Harder to see lion, cheetah,etc. But, we didn't find that a problem. We hope to go back, and would go during the exact same time of year. As for Micato itself, we were very impressed with everything they do and all the extra's that you get with them made it even more special. Would definately travel with them next time. If you want a fantastic safari director, request Roba Sales. When I left Africa, he was the hardest thing to say goodbye to. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask!
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 01:38 PM

I am going (solo) on Micato's somewhat shorter Heart of Kenya/Tanzania tour plus Zanzibar extension -- next January. So far, no one has posted who's taken this tour -- or any Micato tour that time of year. But I do enjoy - and profit from - reports by those of you who are or have been "Micato people",
Jess
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 05:56 AM

jess - i did the heart of kenya and tanzania in june last year. started a trip report, but time and other things got in the way and kept me from finishing. it was a wonderful trip, and i would say "trip of a lifetime" but as so many others have done, i am now planning a trip back next year. you will have a great time and come back in love with africa!! let me know if you have any questions.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 07:04 AM

Thank you aowens- yes! I will have questions as the time gets closer (I've been collecting them), and would love to hear more about your trip.
Jess
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 07:09 AM

You should also check out Hausfrau's (Jessica's) trip report at http://elephantexpress.blogspot.com/. Also not finished, but fantastic, too.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 07:42 PM

Hello Aowens and Jess
I too am going on the Micato Heart of Kenya and Tanzania tour in Mid October of this year (solo). I am so excited and have really valued the information that everyone shares on this forum. AowensI may have questions as well if you are up fro answering...
Maisie
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 10:49 PM

Jess and maisie8 - last year when we were on the Stanley Wing, we started out in Nairobi as as group of 15. We then went to Amboseli, as a group of 15 still, but, once we got to Tarangire, we were joined by 3 people who were on the Heart of KY & TZ trip. We then became 18 until we left the Maasai Mara, when the 3 people from the Heart tour went back to Nairobi. We went on to Mt Kenya.

I believe, and I may not be correct on this, but I believe that whenever the Heart of KY and TZ tour is small, they close the Stanley Wing at the recipricol number from 18 and combine it with the Heart of KY and TZ tour. (is recipricol the right word I wonder? Hmmm, not sure)

Ann, did you find this was the case with your Heart of TZ & KY trip? Or were there more on your trip perhaps?
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 11:03 AM

lynda - we were 12 on our heart of kenya and tanzania and picked up 4 people on the stanley wing (i think - i know it was one of the wings) in arusha on way to tarangire. they stayed with us through the mara and went on to mount kenya when we went back to nairobi. it was the same as yours linda, but the numbers were reversed it looks like. maisie and jess, be happy to answer any questions you may have.

ann