Micato Safaris - good tour operator?

Old Sep 14th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Micato Safaris - good tour operator?

My husband and I are going to S. Africa and are looking into the various tours offered. We are looking for upscale accomodations and comfort. Any recommendations on when is the best time to go?

Anyone with experience with Micato Safari's have any feedback for us? We are also looking into Abercrombie and Kent.

We are planning to go for 2 weeks. Any suggestions on where to go (and how many days), where to stay, and what camps are the best?

Thank you!
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 08:24 AM

Sally,

Here are some links on Micato.

Asking about Stanley Wing
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...4&tid=35016087

Comprehensive Micato reports
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...4&tid=34822022

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...4&tid=35009765

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...4&tid=34985224

Micato, Tauk, or A&K
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...4&tid=34984117

Luxury safari operators
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...4&tid=34950319

A&K vs Micato
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...4&tid=34926197

Old Sep 14th, 2007, 08:26 AM

And here is a link to a chart on the best times for wildlife viewing, which correlate closely with the most expensive times to travel.

http://www.africa-adventure.com/dsp_besttime.html
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 10:08 AM

If considering Micato or A&K for South/ern Africa, why not post their itineraries so we can comment on where, how long and the accommodations they are offering.

Besides the fact that their set tours are group tours, you may want to consider whether a group is for you; if not and wish private, using one of these operators tours will cost even more than shown as a group. As many here have found, you can duplicate a Micato or A&K itinerary, for a lot less money, often with upgraded accommodations, without having set departure dates, and at a pace that fits your way of traveling.

There are many operators, who have received positive reviews here, who can match a Micato or A&K itinerary as "private" vs "group."
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 12:31 PM

I have been twice with Micato & loved it - as you can tell if you have read Lynn's links! I am planning a third time in 2009, and can't wait! (we would have planned it for 2008, but my mom wants to go to Alaska and she's 83, what could I say?)

They are a first class operation, not asingle hitch on either of our trips! But, as Sandi says, they are a group tour, not a private tour company. My husband and I really enjoy the group experience, last year's trip we were 2 of 18, this year we were 2 of 6. But I know this isn't for everyone.

If a group isn't for you, then you have come to the right place on this board to get the most expert advise that you can find anywhere!
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 05:28 AM

So Lynda, what are you thinking about for 2009? Hopefully you'll have no more vet bills eating up your vacation funds due to muskrats biting your cat's butt. (in reference to another post)
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 09:32 AM

Micato has a Kenya only safari, I was thinking it would be nice to get to know Kenya a bit better this time. It's called the Livingston Wing Safari, it takes in Nairobi, Amboseli, Treetop Lodge (The Ark), Ol Pejata (Sweetwaters), Mt Keya Safari Club and of course the mighty Maasai Mara.

It's only 7 nights on safari though, so I am hoping that they will maybe take a good look and add on a few more nights - the only two nighters are the Mara and Amboseli, moving every day on the other 3 makes me tired just reading about it! And, personally myself, I think they should take Sweetwaters out and put in Tsavo at Finch Hattons. I'm working on trying to convince them of these two itmes...

But, if not, we'll still go, beacause I miss not being in Kenya and I miss Kennedy and the girls, and Daniel so much!

At the end of the safari, the other thing I relly want to do again is go to Stonetown for 3 days to visit Mussa (our guide there), sit on the balcony at the Serena & watch the ocean, shop in some of the little shops there, and eat lobster in that wonderful dining room at the Serena. (and really that's ALL we want to do this time!)

Hopefully they won't arrest Jim though for puffing on his pipe in Nairobi that would just put a damper on things. (in reference to another post this week on the board)

Yes, I really must talk to the cat about staying out of that ditch! That muskrat even had a name up until then (Muskie). Now, he's 'just' a muskrat...
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 02:30 PM

I bet you could do the standard Micato itinerary in Kenya and then add on some extra days at places you wanted.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 05:05 PM

Your question answered: Yes, they are a world class tour operator with a reputation established by fulfilling their promises.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 07:38 PM

That's a good idea Lynne!! I just might do that, good idea!

And, mkhonzo, I agree 110%.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 10:11 PM

Yes, I recently returned from a Micato safari to Kenya and Tanzania and can vouch that they are OUTSTANDING. Our trip was perfect in every way - seamless, amazing guides and treated like a member of their family. I would use them again in a heartbeat and can recommend them unhesitatingly. Admittedly, they are at a premium pricepoint, but we felt they were very special and the added value they provided was worth it for a once in a lifetime trip. They will not disappoint you.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 02:59 AM

HI SallyJ, another satisfied Micato customer here (my report is the third one under "Comprehensive Micato reports" in atravelynn's post). I know some people like to plan their own itineraries and get a bit off the beaten path (that's usually how I travel), but for our first trip to Africa, Micato was fabulous. Great accomodations all the way, first-class service, and the most amazing drivers and guides. I'm getting a bit choked up just thinking about it!

On the issue of group vs. private tour: I had never taken a group tour in my life, and was pleasantly surprised by how well we all got along and the overall sense of shared wonder and camaraderie; being in a group (12 in our case) added a wonderful element to the experience.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 05:54 AM

Our family just returned from Tanzania. Went with Ranger Safaris and they were stellar. Our guide knew his stuff and we enjoyed the experience.

We saw a large Micato group on our last day at the Serengeti Sopa. They had six crowded persons in each vehicle. Our family of 6 were in two huge cars with electric iceboxes and very big windows!

Our guide knew one of the Micato drivers and laughed because Micato Safaris have no guides and cars in Tanzania. They rent the cars and guides from local companies and then charge their clients three times more!

We wondered if their clients knew this and why people would pay so much for something that can be booked much cheaper.

I just looked at their prices and there is no way the Micato clients had 60% more fun than us. We paid about 60% less for our private safari.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 08:29 AM

susanbigd- Micato does indeed have their own staff and vehicles in Tanzania, and has had for years. I can't remember the exact number, but I believe it is 16 vehicles, 20 drivers, 4 or 5 directors and then support staff as well in Arusha.

Why wouldn't they have their own? They have just as many clients that go through Tanzania as through Kenya.

The only time they hire a local driver and vehicle is in Zanzibar for anyone who takes their extension. They use ZanTours, and have used them for years.

We were never 'crammed' into a small vehicle - Micato uses extended Land Cruisers, and all brand new this year (yes, the ones with the ice box where the 7th seat used to go in the old ones). Both the ones last year, and this year fit 6 perfectly fine, I am a large person and had plenty of room & space - even when we all 'popped' up to take pictures.

From doing the index and reading all the trip reports, I can see that Rangers is also a good outfitter with reasonable prices. Many have enjoyed their private safaris with them, and many have enjoyed the guides they have on staff.

But please don't 'laugh' and 'feel sorry' for others who choose group trips, or other outfitters. It's just a difference of what we like, that's all. I do it by choice, and will continue to come back each year, as others do I am sure.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 11:57 AM

susanbigd, I'm usually the one laughing at people on group tours, but if you haven't been on a Micato tour, it's a bit unfair to make such broad statements.

This issue of whether Micato hires drivers and trucks in Tanzania keeps coming up, I'm not sure why. What difference does it make, when the quality of the experience is top-notch? Anyway, multiple people on this board have been on Micato tours and have had the very same drivers and guides in Tanzania. It is pretty clear that Micato has staff in Tanzania.

I agree with everything Lynda said about the vehicles. We were absolutely NOT "crowded" into a vehicle. Micato's trucks are extended Toyota Land Cruisers with comfortable captain's chairs and a cooler in the back. Everyone gets their own window and the pop-tops give everyone a clear view. I saw plenty of people on private tours in minivans with bench seats that did not look nearly as comfortable as we were. And whenever we saw two or three people in a vehicle, we always thought they looked a bit lonely. I cannot reiterate how much being with a small group added to our experience.

I'm not going to argue that you can't have a great experience in Africa for less money...of course you can. But if someone wants to go with Micato, they should not be ridiculed for making that choice. I have never heard of an unsatisfied Micato customer.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 07:38 PM

ditto hausfrau and Lynda. Our vehicles were very comfortable and not in the least bit crowded (also, they had great quality binocs for each person, and were stocked with complimentary beverages). I could not find fault with my Micato safari if I tried hard -and everyone with us felt the same. Yes, they are at a premium price - and they deliver a premium experience. Undoubtedly other companies provide an excellent product too, and perhaps for less, it just depends what you're looking for. As a side note, Micato absolutely does do private tours. I know that for certain. You will not be disappointed on a Micato safari.
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 11:01 AM

did East Africa with Micato....they were amazing!! They pay a huge attention to detail and their guides are knowledgeable, friendly and experienced. I couldn't have asked for a better planned safari. They are very hands on and a safari director travels with you....if you want something a little more independent yet totally planned try ker and downey

www.kerdowney.com
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 04:20 AM

Micato is one of the best in the business. You will be very happy with them
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 06:17 AM

Originally, I was very excited to do a Micato tour, but decided NOT to go with them as the service was extremely disappointing. I was willing to pay the premium price, but for that I expect service. I got no response to emails multiple times, I called and left messages and it took several days to return my calls, and when they did they providied limited information (such as "you can look in the brochure and pick a tour" rather than recommending on based upon the interests I had expressed, and also when I asked about availability after I picked a tour from the brochure, the voice mail 3 days later simply said no availability in the months I'd asked about. No alternate dates that were available or alternate tours that might be of interest.)

I also sent a note to Fran after that expressing my disappointment - no response at all.

Especially for a ridiculously premium price, that is simply unacceptable.

I booked my safari with a smaller company using the same caliber accomodations (all 5 star, top rated - in some cases exact same properties as Micato), and private not group, for over $1K PER DAY LESS than Micato - and extremely responsive service.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 01:36 PM

Seems Micato is getting too big for their britches!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -