Search

Trip pictures from Kenya/Rwanda

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip pictures from Kenya/Rwanda

Trip report is here: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35041815

As promised, here are a few pictures from my July honeymoon to Kenya, Rwanda, and Egypt. I'm not a photographer...I think even calling myself a novice would be a stretch. I'm a nothing My husband and I bought a Nikon D40x for the trip--basically a dlsr point and shoot but definitely needed that shutter speed many times and the quality of prints is awesome. I'm trying to figure out my of the manual settings though so I can full advantage of the camera. We had the regular 55mm lens that came with it and bought the 200mm which seemed to be powerful enough for us. A longer lens might have been useful for Mara crossings but besides that I think it was ok but again...I'm not a photographer. We also had a small compact Canon which my husband used--it was great to have. Very useful addition to the larger dslr.

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee24/roomoog/

Once you open them...if you click on them, then expand. They look a bit mushy in their photobucketted smaller version.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 09:33 PM

I love your pictures! That one with the lion cubs playing is the cuttest thing ever. looks like something outta national geographic! The giraffe one reminds me of those "more bars in more places" AT&T commercials (at least i think its att). I wish there were more!
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! There were actually two lionesses with their cubs so they were different ages. An older cub pounced on one of the smaller ones and kind of had him pinned before another small one joined in so the little ones ganged up on the big bully. It was fun to watch.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 03:16 PM

Great photos. That's one of the very best photos of cheetahs I have seen posted to this forum, and its the first golden monkey I have seen.

Michael
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 03:45 PM

Wonderful "still lifes" (not counting the zebra and crocodile shot). How did you get the animals so pose so grandly for you?
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 06:19 PM

Two golden monkeys at once! I know they don't sit still long. The baby gorilla is adorable. Your cheetah shot is stunning. You are not a nothing!
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

I think the animals knew I was a novice so they very kindly decided to stay still for me. Actually, I think it's because in the Mara the animals are so habituated to all the vehicles. For the cheetahs, the mom cheetah was watching the river really intently because she wanted to cross back over with her cubs so I think that helped...she was so into the river she totally ignored our truck.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 06:31 AM

Don't be so modest - your photos are great.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 04:06 PM

Roomoo,

Recent Mara reports indicated loads of vehicles and interference with animal behavior. Did you encounter that? What were your experiences with the human animal in the Mara?

Your photos were obviously not negatively affected.

Thank you!
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

There were an incredible number of vehicles--something that isn't obvious from my photos because I worked hard not to get any vehicles anywhere in the frame...not always successful. In my shots of the Paradise pride, there were probably 10 vehicles around the sleeping pride at any one time. I got a clear overall shot when there was a break in vehicles...more going before more coming. And the trucks get incredibly close to the animals...I was really surprised--but guides want to get their people a view so trucks angle and cross in front of one another and thus the circle keeps creeping in around the animals.

The four cheetahs on the little mound...there was maybe another truck initially but then they just began appearing--and the cheetahs moved off toward the river--they looked like they might cross which obviously brought a ton of trucks to both sides of the river (BBC film crew among them). I would guess probably 20 trucks. I actually took pictures of some of all the trucks because I found the scene so incredible.

The cheetah in the tree...we just came across but it seems like as soon as someone spots a stopped truck...everyone catches on that there is something there so again came a load of trucks and it was a bit sad because he obviously wanted to hunt but seemed to get encircled by trucks.

We spotted a male lion laying in tall grass all alone as we were making the long drive from one side of the river to the other--a bit out of the normal area. He was injured--our guide said he'd probably just been kicked out of a pride--so we were like let's go before we draw attention to him so he doesn't get swarmed by vehicles.