Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Botswana and Namibia itinerary for April feedback request

Old Oct 13th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip in late April 2008 for Botswana and Namibia. I'd love to get some feedback from anyone on what you think I may be doing wrong.

I'm going with a group of seven other friends. We love animals, but also like being active.

Currently I have the following planned:

DAY 1 Duba Plains Camp Arrival at Maun Airport.
Full Board & Activities Transfer to Duba Plains Camp.

DAY 2 Duba Plains Camp Full day activities
Full Board & Activities

DAY 3 Duba Plains Camp Full day activities
Full Board & Activities

DAY 4 Chobe Safari Lodge Flight to Kasane and transfer from the airport to the Chobe Safari Lodge

DAY 5 Chobe Safari Lodge Morning Game Drive in Chobe National Park
Afternoon boat cruise

DAY 6 Charter flight to Little Sossus Lodge, Namib Naukluft Lodge or Little Kulala.
Little Kulala (FB) Excursion to the Sossusvlei Dunes area

DAY 7 Tok Tokkie Trails Midmorning road transfer from the lodge to the Tok Tokkie Homestead

DAY 8 Tok Tokkie Trails Early morning light breakfast. Full day Tok Tokkie Trail activities

DAY 9 Wolwedans Dunes Camp Return to the Tok Tokkie Homestead and road transfer to Wolwedans

DAY 10 Wolwedans Dunes Camp Full day activities

DAY 11 Okonjima Main Camp Transfer to the airstrip for your charter flight to Okonjima

DAY 12 Okonjima Main Camp Full day at Okonjima enjoying activities

DAY 13 Departure Charter Flight back to Windhoek Airport in time for your flight home

I had origially wanted to stay at Duma Tau instead of Chobe Safari Lodge, but the cost of the trip really started to add up. We are planning on leaving around April 25th. I've read great things about Duba Plains, but if you could only do one pretty nice camp in Botswana, would you choose that?

Thanks,
Rod
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 01:15 PM
skimmer

Rod,

At that time of year Duba Plains would definitely be my choice although you already would be driving through deep water. To be honest from now on it's actually the only camp I consider for myself that time of year.

With dogs you should be extremely lucky wherever you go in Botswana that time of year. So don't count on them...
So there is no need to choose a camp to look specifically for them.

Although Chobe is not that as pumping as at the end of the dry season, I'll agree with you to stay at Chobe safari lodge.

If you want to go to Sossusvlei I would recommend to stay two days at f.e. Kulala Wilderness camp (5 paw vintage camp) instead of Little Kulala (6 paw premier camp). It will save your some money and your experience will be the same. You need two days because the day you arrive, it's pointless to go to Sossusvlei (it will be too late alreadyà, you'll need to go in the early morning.

At Wolwedans, I would actually spend three days especially if you are interested in ballooning or a scenic flight. In my opinion it has the most stunning scenery of the country.

Although not a big fan of places like Okonjima, it will give you an opportunity to take some nice pictures of some of the predators.

Greetz,

Johan

Old Oct 13th, 2007, 04:08 PM

I haven't heard too many good comments about Little Sossus Lodge and Namib Naukluft Lodge isn't convenient for a visit to Sossusvlei as it's closer towards Solitaire. The Wilderness camps have their own entrance to the park. Another convenient option would be the new NWR Sossus Dune Lodge which is inside the park. We stayed at Desert Homestead (across the road from Little Sossus) which we really like but we chose it more for their riding activities than anything else. From here, it will take you about half an hour to get to the Sesriem (public) entrance to the park.

Are you doing the 3 day/2 night walking/camping safari at Tok Tokkie? Or is there some other option there?

As you're spending 4 combined nights in the NamibRand between Tok Tokkie and Wolwedans, I'm not sure you need a 3rd night at Dune Camp though Johan has a point if you want to go ballooning.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 04:13 PM

Oh, and I agree your 1 night in the Sossusvlei area doesn't seem very feasible.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick feedback.

We will be doing the 3 day/2 night Tok Tokie Trail after leaving the Namib Naukluft area.

It sounds like I might want to bag the trip to Okonjima and spend a bit more time in the Namib Naukluft area. I've read some interesting reports on Okonjima, but perhaps the experience they are offering is a bit forced?

Old Oct 13th, 2007, 07:29 PM

Johan,

Would you think say Nov-March is a great time at Duba to drive further deep in an attempt to either follow the herds or to find the other prides?

Hari
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 07:30 PM

i.e., i meant deep into the concession to more accessible areas? Thks....
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 09:57 PM
skimmer

Hari,

Nov - March is a great time although you can't drive to Paradise (where the skimmer pride lives) for the last 2 years. The accessibility of certain areas is also determined by the movement of the tectonic plates.

F.e. if you look at Chitabe, it was a much wetter area in the mid 90's.

I don't think the pantry pride still exists and also the young skimmer males (my favorites) seemed to move on.

Best regards,

Johan

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 05:22 AM

ok. Thks.......
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 08:41 AM

Rod,
I haven't been to Duba in April, but I was there in early July this year and it is one my all time favorite camps. Ask for James 007 as your guide.

I realize you are planning on dropping Duma Tau, but thought I'd comment anyway. I was there in July. Very prolific wildlife viewing. I saw more there than any other place on my trip. You said you like to be active; my guide there was Ronald, and he kept us on our toes the entire time.

This was my first and only trip to Bots, so I don't know how April (your plans) vs. July (my trip) would affect the experience. Others can comment on that more than I.

Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:35 AM

Hi
Have stayed at Okonjima bush camp which was very very lovely and I would recommend that very highly.
WD
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 03:27 AM

I would second the suggestion to stay 3 nights at Wolwedans which is situated in a truly breathtaking environment. Density of game isn't high but what you do see seems more special for it's ability to survive in the desert and the views just entrance you.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 07:32 AM

WildDogs,

Can you give more info on Okonjima? What month did you go? How many nights? What activities did you participate in and what did you see? Thank you.