Best camp sites for June/July/Agust?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best camp sites for June/July/Agust?

Hello-

Need your opinion here.

What are some of the best camp sites(or camping safari) for June/July/Augst based on the following criteria?

1)close to animals. (relatively short travel time) I read about people driving for hours just to get to the park entrance. So instead, I would like to maximimze our time with the animals.

2)Good location to the migration during dry season.

3)Northern Circuit. Serengetti, crater, Lake Manyara, Tangaire..etc.

Thanks.
Ken
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 06:53 PM

Just to clarify, are you including permanent tented camps or mobile camping in the Serengeti?

If you provide a rough budget, that will help with better answers for you.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 06:35 AM

Hi Ken,
Yes, a few more details would help us be more specific. I <i>assume</i> you mean public camping? but perhaps you are wanting to stay at permanent tented camps? In the meantime:
1) If you want to maximize your time with animals, consider a fly/drive safari. Arusha National Park is the closest park to Arusha, and a very quick drive. Tarangire and Lake Manyara are the next closest, with the Crater and Serengeti being the furthest drives.
2) As I'm sure you know, the location of the migration can be hit and miss from one year to the next, but to maximize your chances of seeing it in June &amp; July you'd be best to consider staying in both the Western and Northern Serengeti. In August you might want to concentrate on the North.

Here are some migration maps that should help:
http://www.kiliwarriors.com/

If you click on each park on this site you'll find maps of public campgrounds:
http://go-safari.com/safari_Tanzania.htm

Old Oct 29th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Hello-

Either permanent or mobile is fine.

How long does it take to drive to each park?

thanks

Ken
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 01:06 PM

Driving is part of the safari experience. Even if combining with flying, there aren't airstrips at exactly the place you want to be. You've got to drive. And actual daily game drives can be anywhere from 2/hrs to all day. With the exception of one section of road (from Arusha/Manyara turn-off to the Crater), the others maybe blacktop but not always in the best condition. And once in the parks, you're on gravel, dirt or whatever has been put down.

Animals will be where they choose to be. You're going to have to drive somewhere.

Arusha/Tarangire - 2-2.5/hrs to park entrance.
Arusha/Manyara - 2.2.5/hrs to park entrance.
Arusha/Ngorongoro - 5/hrs
Arusha/Serengeti (beginning) - 7/hrs
- to Central, add 1.5/hrs
- to Western, add 2.5-3/hrs
- to Northern, add 5+/hrs
Tarangire/Ngorongoro - 4/hrs
Manyara/Ngorongoro - 2.5/hrs
Ngorongoro/C.Serengeti - 3/hrs

*these are best estimate, all w/o stopping for game viewing along the way; depending on road conditions; day of week and road traffic of other vehicle, trucks, carts, bikes, cattle!
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 07:21 AM

One more question. Are you planning on using a guide? It seemed as if maybe you were contemplating driving yourself.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 01:45 AM
Original Poster

Sandi, thanks for the info.

stravelynn, no, i am not driving myself. Just wanted to know the transit time between parks in order to maximize game viewing. The rest of the time i would like to plan for canoeing, walking/hiking, biking, visiting local towns..etc. Haven't figured out the best way to do this yet. But i am getting help from a few sources, one of which is from Fodor's forum

tentative plan so far-
day1- arusha
day2,3-tarangire national park
day4,5-manyara national park
day6-Ngorongoro crater
day7-7 -northern serengeti
day8-10 Zanzibar

what is the reasonble cost for a trip like this? during july,standard+luxury accomodation, plus all the activities listed above. party of 4-5.

Old Oct 31st, 2007, 03:45 AM

&gt;&gt;tentative plan so far-
day1- arusha
day2,3-tarangire national park
day4,5-manyara national park
day6-Ngorongoro crater
day7-7 -northern serengeti
day8-10 Zanzibar&gt;&gt;

Trying to do quite a bit in a very short time.

I know you want to canoe, so best done at Arusha Natl Park, not at Manyara. Besides 2/day is alot at Manyara a small park that can actually be covered in 2-3/hrs.

And, for travel July, 1/day in the Serengeti just isn't enough. This is where the migration is passing and could use minimum 2/days. Besides, how do you plan to get from the Crater to N.Serengeti? Drive time is almost a full day... many actually stop for a night in the Central area before continuing north. And, where in the N.Serengeti? Early July, may actually be too early for the migrating herds here. Better to stay in the Western area. There are few camps here and no lodges, consider something near the Ikoma Gate which is midway between West/North. From here you can fly via Arusha to ZNZ.

You won't get to ZNZ till late afternoon/early evening. I'd rethink how long at Tarangire and Manyara and add some of this time to the Serengeti.

Can't comment on price, but for a group of 4-5/ you might do well, pricewise, with a semi-lux camping safari, where your guide/driver and cook will set up/break-down tents, with cots, linen; separate bathroom &amp; shower tents, dining area. It's lots of fun. Finding lodging at this peak travel time may be difficult as much has already been booked.

Put together your proposal, send to a few operators/outfitters and see what price they can offer and advise what space may be available.

I'd actually suggest:
Day 1 - Arusha Natl Pk.
Day 2 - Drive to Tarangire - o/n at lodge or camp close to the entrance, such as Tarangire River Camp, Tarangire Safari Lodge/Camp, Maramboi Camp (outside the park, about 5/miles) or Sopa Lodge - if not semi-lux camping.
Day 3 - Tarangire, morning drive; drive to Manyara; afternoon game drive - o/n lodge, camp or camping
Day 4 - Drive to Ngorongoro; afternoon crater floor - o/n lodge
Day 5 - Morning crater tour; drive to Central/Western Serengeti* - o/n Ikoma area camp, Mbuzi Mawe, other, camping
Days 6 &amp; 7 - Serengeti - migration - o/n
Day 8 - Fly to Arusha; connect to ZNZ - o/n
Day 9 - ZNZ
Day 10 - ZNZ/Stone Town; fly home

*If you stay in Central, note that the Western area is only a 2/hr drive with local game in/around both areas; trying to get to the north from here could take 4-5/hrs. And, you maybe too early for the migration.

Old Oct 31st, 2007, 06:17 AM

You might want to contact Green Footprint which operates canoe safaris and offers mountain biking, walking, and cultural activities.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi and patty.

I am looking into Green Footprint. But do they really offer the kind of service described in their website? what are they really about?