What do I need for Gorilla Trekking?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving for Rwanda, Kenya, and Tanzania in January. We are doing two gorilla treks. What do we need in terms of shoes, clothes, etc for the trip?

TIA
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 11:36 AM

Number one: camera! Number two: gloves. Number three: water. Other than that, make sure you have long pants and a long-sleeved shirt that is made of fabric resistant to bristles. (I didn't have that, everyone else on my trek did and it's recommended though I didn't have any problems.) You might want a lighter top underneath in case you get hot. Finally, comfortable walking shoes that you don't mind getting really muddy. I was on one of the easiest treks, so there wasn't much climbing, more like uphill hiking, but if you end up on a tougher trek it would probably be rewarding to have some mountain boot-type shoes or at least high-top sneakers with good tread on the bottom. I was there during the dry season so we didn't get wet but a rain slicker would be a good idea too.

It's a blast!!
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

anyone else? What kind of gloves do I need? Do I need hightops or sneakers? TIA
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 05:25 PM

This is straight from ORTPN's website and should be useful for those trekking:

<i>Gorilla Guidelines:

* To minimize possible transmission of human diseases, visitors are asked to maintain a distance of 7m (about 22 feet) from the gorillas. If you are sick with a cold, flu or other contagious illness, please do not visit the gorillas.
* Viewing time is limited to one hour.
* Maximum 8 visitors per group.
* Spitting in the park is strictly prohibited.
* Should you need to cough, cover your mouth and turn away from the gorillas.
* When with the gorillas, keep your voice low.
* Try not to make rapid movements that may frighten the gorillas.
* If a gorilla should charge or vocalize at you, do not be alarmed, stand still, look away from the gorilla and follow your guide’s directions.
* Do not litter.

To enhance your enjoyment:

* The security of our visitors is our highest priorities. There is no need for concern about personal security.
* The climate in Musanze is changeable and you can generally expect both sun and rainfall during the day.
* Musanze, at 1,700m above sea level, is generally quite cold, particularly in the evening, so warm clothing is advised.
* Recommended clothing is long trousers and shirts when in the forest to avoid nettle stings.
* Study walking shoes or hiking boots are essential. You may find raingear useful.
* Bring a water bottle and a small snack although eating, drinking and smoking near the gorillas is forbidden.
* Photography is permitted, although you may not use flash
* Porters are available to help you carry your daypack for a small charge.
* Mountain gorillas live at high altitude and this may cause difficulties for some visitors. You should pace yourself, walk slowly and drink plenty of water. No one should feel deterred from making this trip.</i>

Hope this helps!

Old Dec 20th, 2007, 06:46 PM

These responses should cover it. Here is a thread from a while back.
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34863680
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 10:59 AM

Andrea I took leather garden gloves I got at a home improvement store. They worked very well.I took hiking boots and was very glad I did although you will find folks here that say they are not nec. We were there in Feb went to Susa group which was the furthest group. A total of 7 hrs hiking steeep sometimes muddy trails &amp; often no trail so just bush bashing through. I was glad for the boots. The shorter trek we went on the next day I could have done with just some good sturdy walking shoes. Long pants &amp; light loose long sleeved shirt were what I wore although I think I took the shirt off and did fine in my T-shirt. I also had a light rain jacket which came in handy on the hike back to the car &amp; I had light waterproof pants. These were not nec but I did put them on when we were hiking down in rain &amp; it was slippery. All it meant was my pants were a lot less muddy than my hubbys!

Have a wonderful time it is a great experience.

J
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Great! This was super helpful...I am off to Eastern Mountain Sports!
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 01:53 PM

You are about to go on a great adventure. Hiking boots, cheap poncho that comes in a little sack,gloves to protect your hands,sweater or long sleeve shirt that you can tie around your waist when you get hot.You will drink lots of water and have that camera ready. Layer your clothes. The last time we went on the mountain in Uganda to find gorillas we were 12 hours, and came down in the dark while it was raining. They were getting ready to send search party. However would not trade that for anything. Getting ready now to go to gorillas in Gabon in July-August. Opportunity to see gorillas in three or four places during the month. Will post end of August on that if interested.
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 01:59 PM

Have a great trip, Dr. Andrea.

JungleNana, you must report back after Gabon!
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 11:38 PM

junglenana
Please post on Gabon. I'd also be interested to hear about your trip.