Playa del Carmen - the best Non-AI

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2004, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just looking for some insight on the best Non-All Inclusive in Playa del Carmen. We are thinking of going late October early November.

Must haves: Right on the beach, TV in room, short walk or cab ride to town and nice eateries, nicely appointed room with great service (think boutique hotel).

Would like: decent sized pool.

Can anyone offer any help?
Old May 3rd, 2004, 07:20 AM

Don't know what price is in your budget but from I have been reading it's Royal Hideaway Adults Only!!!! Go to trip advisor.com
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:25 AM

Fodors ranks Lunata highly, although it is just off the beach...it may be one of the more luxurious nonAl's in PDC.
Our family has reservations at the Playa-Maya for later this summer. It is right on the beach, with a very small pool. I've only read good things about it, but I haven't stayed there yet! It has a rep. for good service. (don't know about rooom service, though.) I'm looking forward to it!
Old May 3rd, 2004, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Frankie. You'll have to do a trip report after you get back from Playa-Maya.

Butsey: the Royal Hideaway is all inclusive.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 05:40 PM

I haven't stayed there, but ShagriLa Caribe has been getting good reviews. The price does include breakfast and dinner, but definitely not all-inclusive. It's about a 15 minute walk to town. I don't know if it has a pool.

Mosquito Blue is pretty nice, but not on the beach. Blue Parrot gets mixed reviews.

El Faro is very nice, but I hear may be closed to an extended period of time this fall.

Most of the places on the beach in
Playa are not luxury properties.
Old May 4th, 2004, 03:16 AM

El Faro is closing in May, they say for 10 months. Shangri-La does have 2 pools, decent size, but we haven't stayed there due to breakfast & lunch being included, along with the price $$$! Looks nice though, checked out the pools in April. It is hard to get a good sized pool in Playa AND be on the beach AND be Non-All Inclusive. We are staying at Playa Maya next time, mostly for the location and the service, but only has a small pool. Great outdoor restaurant right on the beach.
Old May 4th, 2004, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

It sounds like the Playa Maya is the one that best fits my criteria at this point. (Shangri-La does not have TVs in the rooms.)
Old May 4th, 2004, 07:51 AM

I stayed at Blue Parrot last November and thought it was perfect. The room was clean and well-appointed with a sitting area and kitchenette with refrigerator. We had cable tv and were right on the beach. It was centrally located, and I preferred the beach area at Blue Parrot to Playa Maya. Their pool is pretty small, but the hammock on the porch more than made up for it.