Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Tropico Latino -- Wire Transfer a Deposit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks,

Trying to confirm a reservation at the Tropico Latino on Malpais. They are asking for a $125 deposit in order to secure the room. We can either wire the money to them or send it to a Western Union in Puntarenas.

www.hoteltropicolatino.com/deposit.htm

Is this normal? Should I be concerned? Heard nothing but good things about this place, and they seem very nice, but I'm a little leery of sending a deposit, much less via a wire transfer.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance...
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 11:07 AM

In the past I've sent deposits various ways as requested by the house/lodge/ hotel owners in Costa Rica with out a problem. Haven't visited Hotel Tropico Latino but you will need to satisfy them as directed to make a reservation.
I wouldn't worry about being scammed by them as they are a reputable establishment.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 01:47 PM

We wired our money to them a couple of years ago. No problem with it at all. Great place to stay--particularly if you get that beachfront cottage. The beach area is lovely.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 03:30 PM

Wire transfer is completely normal in that area. I wire full payment to Casa Chameleon to secure my room(twice now .
Tropico Latino is a reputable hotel as earthtraveler said. I think it's safer to wire the money with all of the credit card scams these days. These small hotels rely on bookings made in advance so they have to protect themselves. If you are worried about having to cancel, just take out travel insurance. It's pretty cheap and it covers airline tickets, loss of luggage,hotels...the whole nine. Have fun! Mal Pais is Paradise!
Hi Shillmac!
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 03:43 PM

How Long are you planning on staying in this area for? We are planning to do the same thing and were wondering if a week to ten days was too long. Thoughts? Thanks!
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 08:56 AM

Rusty, Depends on what you like to do. For me, I can spend 2 weeks in Mal Pais no problem. I surf though. I have friends that don't surf that say 5 to 7 days is perfect. One day for Montezuma, one day for Caba Blanco, one day for fishing, a few more days for snorkling, relaxing by the beach, pool etc. Hope this helps.