Re: Peru Trip

Old Mar 16th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Peru Trip

Has anyone used Traveland.com as a tour operator to Peru? They have a 7 night tour which includes Lake Titicaca and an 8-hour bus ride from there to Cuzco. The price is really good and I know you get what you pay for, but hoping someone might have some info. Thanks.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 10:39 AM

Hi - we just returned from South America - we spent about 13 days in the Sacred Valley and Lake Titicaca (including an amazing night on Amantini) - we didn't take a tour but used a private guide that was less expensive than a guided tour.....here's a link to our blog for information......on the left margin click on "January" archives....

It's easy to do without a tour and that way you can move at your own speed.....happy to answer questions.......
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 10:40 AM

Ooops....here's the link to our blog

http://lizandrichardsa.typepad.com/
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Elizabeth.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 10:55 AM

Glad to hear you have safely returned, Liz. Your blog has been very entertaining. Thanks for keeping it up. The photos were incredible.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 11:51 AM

Hi cmc fong......we're back in Toronto now.....watch for the Easter Island update (probably over the weekend) - Easter Island was a wonderful finale for the trip......glad you enjoyed the blog.....we had fun doing it!
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 06:19 PM

I will indeed watch for it. I followed the blog all the way. Great read.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Jeez guys, my question is still about Traveland.com
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 08:29 AM

Sharon - if you type "traveland" into the search box there are one or two comments - don't seem very positive - I think this is a link to the search results.

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 08:31 AM

Oops - here's the link

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...t=0&dirtyBit=1
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 08:31 AM

No - it's not the link - how do I attach a link to Fodors?
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 09:01 AM

Liz,
Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful trip. We are just in the beginning of our research plans for a trip to Peru and this has been a wonderful help (I think). Unfortunately, your whole trip sounds wonderful and I want to do the whole thing! The Galapagos have always been on the top of my list. My father in law spent a lot of time in Tierra del Fuego and Ushuaia studying birds. Did you see the flightless ones? He discovered a new species of them a few years ago. My husband spent time down there as well with our daughter....my turn.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 09:19 AM

Hi Suzie2 - thanks for your nice comments - we so enjoyed doing the blog (and will update it for the end of the trip).

We saw flightless cormorants in Galapagos which was very exciting - I guess the first documentary I ever saw about Galapagos was about the flightless cormorants so we made a point of traveling to the furthest western island (Fernandina) to see them - I was lucky enough to swim with them in the water as we were snorkeling - they clearly have given up flight in the air to fly in the water!

As far as Ushuaia and TDF goes, we did see penguins but I'm not sure about other flightless birds - which one did your FIL discover?

Definitely your turn!
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 09:58 AM

Sharon, I do believe we have hi-jacked your posting. So sorry. Good luck with your trip and do post a report when you return.

They are called steamer ducks and look like they are running on top of the water. I saw them on a nature show several years ago and really want to see them in person. The ship tour you took sounds just wonderful. Might be just the thing for us.

Your blog has gained a captive audience of two here in Ohio as my husband has just asked me to forward it over to his computer.

Seeing the pictures of the Incas really brought tears to my eyes. What lovely hard working people they are. Whenever we travel we love to reach out and get to know the people of the country we are in. We have had some wonderful experiences. I love your having bought the partially done weaving complete with the hardware.

Thank you again for posting and happy travels.

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Hi Elizabeth, Thanks, I will check that link. I'm going alone , so this time I thought I would do a short tour. Suzie, it's OK...I laughed.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 06:11 AM

Sharon - a friend of mine recently traveled to Machu Picchu and Galapagos using GAP Adventure - a well reviewed (on this site) budget tour operator....here's a link to their site.

http://www.gapadventures.com

It's not as cheap as Traveland but is highly regarded.

Suzie2 - we didn't see steamer ducks but now I wish we had! Here's a link to the ship's website

http://australis.com/

It was only the second cruise we have taken (the first being Galapagos) and we would recommend it, with a caveat. While it might sound obvious, the caveat is that you like to cruise - while there are 3 excursions, most of the ship's appeal is cruising and seeing the scenery pass by - we prefer something a little more active (while we can!). The accommodation is lovely and the food is very good - also we had a great group and, as mentioned, fabulous weather.

I'm glad you're enjoying the blog - we've had a lot of fun doing it (well, truth be told my husband writes most of it - I type it and edit and do the photos!). We'll finish it off in the next few days - add Easter Island and a summary of thoughts/impressions.

Old Mar 18th, 2006, 08:00 AM

Thank you for the info on the cruise. Hubby and I have managed to avoid them for the very reasons you have as well. We were hoping that a smaller one would be easier to take but maybe not. I will bookmark the info though and maybe we will consider it down the road.

Like you, we prefer to experience our travels and not feel like we are watching a "slide show" as it passes by.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 05:50 AM

Hi, Finally an answer about Traveland. A group of six just took the Cuzco/Machu Pichu tour from 3/10-3/20 (we extended the trip a couple of days) and had a great time. We were all very concerned due to the negative reviews of Traveland, but this trip couldn't have been any smoother. Tour was run by local operator Rainbow Trail Tours. All hotels were better than expected, all transfers were on time and local guides spoke English very well and were extremely knowledgeable. Our experience was so different from the negative reviews that we read that we all vowed to come back and spread the word because we wouldn’t want anybody to miss this amazing experience.