Hotel convenient to downtown San Jose, CR

Old Jan 1st, 2007, 09:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel convenient to downtown San Jose, CR

Help! I screwed up my reservation for my first two nights of our trip in less than 2 weeks. I thought I had booked into Hotel Grano de Oro and I actually booked Gran Hotel Costa Rica, which I checked with TripAdvisor, and it is really noisy. Now the Grano de Oro has no availability! What is available on the popular hotels web sites seems to be big American style hotels, which is not my kind of hotel, or closer to the airport for people who want to skip the city.

We want to spend a full day in San Jose, and know it is a big noisy city, but we are real urbanites plus want to see the architectural gems. DH wants some night life (live music) suitable for 40 somethings. After all, we are on vacation!!

So can any of you Fodorites recommend a quaint hotel, either with AC or in a quiet neighbourhood, close to the entertainment district, moderate priced?
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 05:15 AM

If you truly want downtown, I can recommend Hotel Britannia. We stayed 2 nights here a few years back. The hotel, staff, rooms, everything was nice. The only reason we would not return is the fact that it is downtown. But easy to walk to the museums and such. www.hotelbritanniacostarica.com

Also check out Le Bergerac, gets great reviews, friends stayed here and loved it. www.bergerac.co.cr

Also check the Don Carlos. Always seems to get good reviews.
www.doncarloshotel.com

Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 07:10 AM

I enjoy Don Carlos but do ask for a quiet room there are some that are really noisy. You definitely want to get out of the Gran reservation. It is a good place to have a cup of coffee at the outdoor cafe but that is about all.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 10:15 AM

Actually, El Gran Hotel Costa Rica might not be so bad these days, as it has been recently rennovated (within the last year). But that may not help with the noise.

We enjoy the Don Carlos and particularly like the room (2nd floor, I believe) that has
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 10:20 AM

Oops--hit the wrong button!

We like the interior room that has a little balcony where you can step out and look down on the hotel center. The location of the Don Carlos is very hard to beat. Excellent staff. I really miss staying there, but since we've walked through this part of town a few times already, there really isn't any point in our staying there anymore. I used to be very impressed when we would check in and the front desk staff (always the same) would say, "Welcome back Mrs. ------). We stayed there maybe 6 times during a period of 2 years. Such typical Costa Rican hospitality!

I'm sure the other hotels mentioned are good (I know Brittania and Bergerac get good reviews), but we really like the area (Barrio Amon) where the Don Carlos is located.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

It looks like there is availability in all 3, however, I do like the idea of Barrio Amon... apparently nice looking homes for us architecture appreciaters, closer to downtown than le Bergerac! Plus the price is quite reasonable, cheaper than Grano de Oro!

Shillmac, is the room you like a "super" room with a king bed, or standard (I got two prices from hotels.ca). So I did email the hotel asking specifically about this room
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 12:28 PM

I'm thinking the room we had was a king. But it may have had 2 double beds. Just ask for an interior room and you'll be okay. I think you will be very pleased with the hotel. Cafe del Mundo restaurant is down the street--and is a good place to eat. The entire area is great for walking, although at night we hire taxis--and that is to go someplace specific. Wouldn't advise walking at night--the entire area comes alive with all sorts!

One place to visit in the evenings is El Pueblo, a "mall" of restaurants, bars, discos, and artisan shops. It's about a 2 minute, $2 taxi ride away. We also enjoyed catching a performance at el Teatro Nacional one evening. Opera.. . .
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Ok, this is so weird... I just got an email from Grano de Oro saying they do have a room, only it's $135/night(I am assuming USD). Tripadvisor searches had shown no availability.

The deluxe room at Don Carlos was $104CDN on hotels.ca. Plus location (Grano de Oro is by Parque la Sabana). Now I am on pins and needles awaiting the response to my email to Don Carlos re the availability of an interior room!

Shillmac, we love opera. It would be so great to see one there... we are going to see the theatre in any case, and spring for the tour if there is no show that we would like on Saturday night. Plus it may keep DH out of the bars!
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 01:54 PM

Yes, I'd try hard to keep DH out of the bars! LOL--he might have a close encounter with a transvestite!

I'd like to stay at the Grano de Oro sometime--it gets such good reviews. The other area is just so convenient.
You should be able to catch some type of performance there on a Saturday night. We saw Carmen. . .it was a fun experience. I think we paid $10 for our tickets.

We have a very good friend who plays in a band (they are very good) and frequently performs in the San Jose area (at the better clubs) on Saturday night. If you're interested, I could check his schedule for that night and see if anything is going on. . .
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Shillmac, we were able to book an interior room at Don Carlos for $80 plus taxes, so I cancelled the Gran Hotel.

It looks like there are no shows on at Teatro Nacional unitl after the holiday period ends Jan. 14. So we may look at it for the last days of the trip. I can't find any performance schedules on the web, but we can check the first weekend we are there.

I would like to find out about where your friend is playing!
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 05:04 PM

I'll e-mail him and in the meantime, my e-mail address is:

[email protected]

What night are we talking about? January 13?
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 06:30 PM

You'll find a schedule of cultural events here (although currently the December schedule is still posted):

http://www.mcjdcr.go.cr/

Also, check out what's onstage at the Jazz Cafe - music for adults (and others ;-) and only a $3 taxi ride from the center of the city:

http://www.jazzcafecostarica.com/

Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 05:10 PM

Jazz Cafe in San Pedro an excellent idea. We've never been there, but know that there are always good offerings--we need to do that sometime!

I received an e-mail reply from Humberto today and his group, Kalhe, has a private gig that night, the 13th? It's a wedding. .and he send his regrets to you.

For anyone who might be reading this: the group is playing this Thursday and Friday in the little town of San Rafael de Heredia. . .bar called "La Puerta de Alcala. . .

The group has a website. I'll check on it and report back with a link. . .
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 05:12 PM

http://www.kalhe.com/

Humberto Brenes, owner of Hotel Villa Bonita. . .this is a very good band and would be outstanding entertainment for anyone in the area overnight looking for a pleasant and relaxing evening!
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 05:15 PM

I was just checking out the site (haven't visited there in awhile) and noticed the "Demo" link. That's Humberto singing in "Caraluna". . also in "Holding Back the Years" and "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You"--as well as my personal favorite. . ."SHH SHH SHH"! Check it out!
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 10:43 PM
Original Poster

Yes, Shillmac, it is the 13th that we arrive. Then on to La Fortuna on the 15, Playa Samara on the 18, then who knows?

Its been a while since we crashed a wedding on holidays.. I think it was Ia (Greece) in 2001... I know that DH would be up for it still! BTW, where can I find him a transvestite if he is looking for one? ;-)

I'll have to wait until tomorrow at work to sneak a listen to the sound clips.. my paleolithic PC at home is not doing sound today... it is very moody.

Rader, thanks for the agenda. I found out on another web site that CR has a long vacation period around Christmas, ending Jan 14, and that could be the reason there has not been a new agenda for January. I have seen Jazz Cafe recommended on this forum before. I think we'll likely give it a try, if we still have energy from travelling for 15 hours.

Thanks to both of you!
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 04:22 AM

LOL--it won't be hard to find one for him--they'll be on the street after dark. Any corner. Now I hope I don't get kicked off the forum!