Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Where should we stay? Playa or Cancun hotel district??

Old Apr 17th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wondering if anyone is familiar with Cancun and Playa. My friend and I are looking at doing a quick getaway from our kids for a nice mother's day gift. We are looking at the Royal Cancun and Royal Playa but also open to other hotel options. We would like to relax and maybe do a little shopping, but we arrive on a Thursday am and leave Sunday very early, so we don't have lots of time. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

anyone??
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both of the Royal resorts get great reviews. Did you check out Trip Advisor?
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 05:56 PM

I don't like Cancun. Way too much concrete and too many high rise hotels for me. It just isn't the kind of place I care to spend my travel dollar.

Playa del Carmen is getting more developed and built up, but it's still a smaller town. Easy to wander just a couple blocks off the main drag and find wonderful little authentic (and cheap) restaurants. Much more pedestrian friendly.

Even with an early morning departure, I'd opt for Playa.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 05:49 AM

That is a wonderful mother's day gift!!

If I were you, I'd do Cancun. For a longer vacation or with kids, I'd choose Playa, it is more appealing overall. But for what you are doing - a quick girls getaway - I'd want to maximize leisure time and you will find what you want in Cancun. If you choose a nice hotel (check tripadvisor, like others said), you will have a great beach, great food, and close to some shopping.

Old Apr 19th, 2007, 12:57 PM

I've done short trips to Playa and I highly recommend it over Cancun. If your flight arrives early Thursday, you will likely be at your resort on the beach in the early-mid afternoon. Then you have 2 full days to enjoy before Sunday's departure. It is plenty of time! The pros far out weight the con of the additional 30-45 minutes it takes to get there.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Should I do the Royal Playa del Carmen or look into another resort. I'll take suggestions.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 06:52 PM

I don't stay at resorts, but, if for some reason I had to in Playa del Carmen, I'd probably stay at the Royal. The location is right in town, the beach is awesome, perfect, unless you're looking for privacy and seclusion.

I walked by there just a few months ago and remember thinking it would be a great compromise trip for me and my more resort oriented frineds.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

I am not a resort person either and have never been to a true all inclusive (only small boutique places), but it seemed like an easy getaway for the 2 of us. Are there any great little resorts you suggest looking at? I don't think my friend cares. She is just happy to get away from her 4 kids for a weekend. I do love to snorkel and love beautiful beaches/scenery, but am also the type that likes to see the town and explore a bit. With our short trip, we are a bit limited.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Royal is great if you want luxury and convenience and good service.
If you just want to kick back and snorkel, the Akumal Beach Resort would be good. It's only a three star. Certainly NOT in the same league as the Royal. Very laid back, but has a beautiful beach and the town of Akumal is right there.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 12:55 PM

We are going to Playa in a few weeks. As mentioned, check out the reviews on trip advisor and playainfo.com because there has been severe beach erosion in Playa del Carmen and some resorts have zero beach.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 12:57 PM

sorry, here is the correct website.

http://www.playa.info/
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 01:35 PM
sws

We were in PDC early April and stayed at Sandos resort. We loved it. Outstanding each - one of the best in that area. Wonderful experience.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 02:08 PM

The Royal is not near the beach erosion which is pretty much confined to Playacar.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

SWS,
I see you stayes at Sandos. It had quite a few bad ratings on tripadvisor. We actualy started out trip hunt with a bargain trip tp Sando and it worked it's way up to the royal. How was the Sandos? I saw the it was $100 more for VIP status to dine in certain restaurants, which put us $50 short each of the Royal stay. I'd love to know your thoughts on Sandos as we may consider it in the future for a family trip.

I was worried about the beach erosion too, which doesnt seem to be a problem at Royal. Phew!!!!! I just don't want to go from one city (Baltimore) to anther (Cancun) which is what I'm hearing Cancun is like, so I think Playa is the place for us!
THanks!
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 07:24 PM

no worries beachbum, the Royal PDC is DA place since it is a short stroll to 5th ave and the beach is very good from the many sites I read daily, although things seem to change daily. We are actually staying at a five star (Mexico rating)AI where we know the beach has eroded,and have no worries since we are from So Cali and don't mind a five minute walk to a wider beach to swim...We are even looking at satelite images...Playa just looks that good based on friends who have been there. We also plan to travel south of there for more snorkeling with sea turtles, cenotes, more laid back people, food and drink and local flavor...
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:26 AM
sws

Personally, we loved Sandos and would go back there in a heartbeat if we could. Very friendly employees. I had heard that they overbook during busy seasons but that did not affect us. The beach was outstanding but you need to lay claim to shaded areas by 0730. I heard other resort people on tour buses complaining about poor beaches at their resorts. Not a problem with Sandos. We had a junior suite that fitted 2 adults and 2 teenagers very comfortably. Very nice room. Food was good for the most part. The Italian restaurant was not good and I suspect there will be managerial changes soon. Free shows at night - some of which were good, others not. Sandos was running a special discount when we booked with MLT in November which is how we ended up there. Check out locogringo.com for info about resorts in Riveria Maya. Good luck and have fun.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:19 AM

This is a no brainer.

Cancun is an overpriced, dumpy, toursit trap

Playa is a nice authentic Mexican area that is close to the Mayan attractions.

Save your vacation and choose Playa over Cancun at all costs.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Just got back and Playa it was. Hands down!!! I have no desire to go to Cancun, especially after driving through it. Now Playa, I can't wait to be back!
Old May 25th, 2007, 05:52 AM

Excellent news! Where did you stay in Playa?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -