Osa - La Paloma vs. Lapa Rios?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning on going to osa for 4 nights and am trying to decide between La Paloma or Lapa Rios. Other than different locations, I have no idea how they differ or why I would choose one over the other.

I'm leaning towards La Paloma, but it didn't look like they had a whole lot to choose from in tems of excursions compared with Lapa Rios. If we didn't do the Cano island snorkelng trip -which I've read was a bit of a waste - I'm not sure all we would do in addition to the hike at Corvocado. Also are there things to do right at La Paloma or do you have to take an excursion to see/do anything?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 10:53 AM

Have you thought about BdC at all? They offer loads of activities. We met a family while we were there that did just about all of them - horseback riding, animal sanctuary, swam with dolphins, surfing, waterfall repelling, guided hikes, etc. They were thrilled with all of them.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 10:55 AM

I agree with volcanogirl - if you decide on Osa - you can't go wrong with BDC. You can do as much or as little as you want and you will see so much wildlife. It's an amazing place!
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 11:45 AM

At BDC you would have many things to choose from. There are several guided walks from a 4 hour primary forest walk, nocturnal walk, morning birding walk, and a variety of others. There is also a wonderful and extensive trail system that is offered there. The horseback riding is about a 15 min drive away. Many tours take-off from Puerto Jimenez, which requires a transfer from your hotel no matter where you are staying (about 45 min from BDC). We combined a trip to the animal sanctuary (really wonderful, hands on with some of the animals) and swimming with dolphins (they throw a little snorkeling in) and thoroughly enjoyed that day. You troll behind the boat on a rope and board with a mask until you are surrounded by a pod and it's pretty fun! The food and staff are fabulous at BDC, you can't go wrong!
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

All I hear about is BdC -except they are completely booked. how come no one ever talks about La Paloma or Lapa Rios?

Can anyone answer my above questiosn about the two of them??

Please help -as I have to decide today!!
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 12:14 PM

Oh goodness! Sorry Eilee, didn't realize BDC was booked. You may get more quick reviews by looking up the reviews on Trip Advisor...have you checked there? Lapa Rios isn't too far from BDC, I do know that! I don't think you'll go wrong with either one.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 01:14 PM

The vast majority of people on this board are partial to BdC - that's why you hear so much about it. I didn't realize they were booked. I agree with hip - just check over on tripadvisor.com - you can read the reviews and see pics. I've heard good things about Lapa Rios - have not heard of La Paloma, but I'm sure the info. will be over there. Good luck!
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 02:05 PM

Also, if no one chimes in for you, you can do a search on this board. Just plug in La Paloma or Lapa Rios, and maybe you can read some trip reports to give you a better idea.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 02:31 PM

Hi eilee,
We stayed at La Paloma once and Bosque twice.We enjoyed it very much. We did the Corcovado tour, a night hike with Tracie, the bug lady, and a dolphin boat tour. There is a beach there and also a small pool. It is lovely and we had delicious food and very personalized service. Of course, Bosque is our favorite place but we did see 18 scarlet macaws at once in the trees at La Paloma and there were monkeys on the grounds.I think they have free kayaks avilable, too. If money is not an object why not split your time between Lapa Rios and La Paloma. They are very different and I think you would like both. Bosque arranged a transport to a beach where La Paloma was radioed and picked us up by boat. That was so fun. That way we got to enjoy both areas. I think the transfer was about a hundred dollars. I have to say that the service at La Paloma was outstanding. We had stayed at Bosque when Minnie Driver was there with a yoga group and it was very crowded so when we got to La Paloma we requested to eat at a private table every night and they were very accomodating.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 02:36 PM

Hi, karen - sorry to hijack this thread, but I was curious about the rooms at La Paloma? On their website it looks like they are completely open to the outside, that they are not screened in - is that right? If so, did you have any problems with bugs? It does look like a wonderful place.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

That's an interesting idea to split time between the two - but I think i may only ahve 3 nights on Osa in total.

Can you say a bit about the difference between La Paloma and Lapa Rios. What would one offer that the other doesn't?
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 06:45 AM

I have stayed at BdC, La Paloma, and Lapa Rios. There is a reason LR is written up all the time in the more upscale magazines. It is just down the road from BdC and you will have a chance to see some wildlife. The rooms are beautiful, view of the ocean is very nice. My biggest gripe were all those darned stairs and being able to hear our neighbors so clearly. The decks are very private otherwise and there is a shower on the deck you can use rather than the inside one. It is built on a ridge and just going out for a stroll isn't something you can do which is why I am so in love with BdC. If you are in one of the higher numbered cabinas you will work up a sweat getting to meals. They do have coffee service now. There is good hiking and it is a little easier to get to the beaches. Some of the help that worked at LR were great. Another reason why I like BdC more.. they work at BdC now.

La Paloma is a lovely place as well. If you can get a sunset rancho the views are beautiful. There was some wildlife around the lodge. We did some hiking in the area and went to Cano Island. Hiking on the island isn't great but we did see some neat stuff while snorkeling. Not like the Caribbean but there was some interesting stuff. There is kayaking available. The bug lady is supposed to be great. We didn't get to meet her. The people at La Paloma are very nice and meals are served family style with wonderful fresh bread.

I really enjoyed my stay at La Paloma even though there aren't tons of things to do.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 10:53 AM

I stayed at Jinetes de Osa when I was in the Osa Penninsula. I really liked the place.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 06:51 AM

Suzie2, if you were choosing between Lapa Rios and BdC, and they were the same price (hypothetically) which would you choose?
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 06:58 AM

LA - if you put in Lapa Riios in the search box above, there is the same question (that Suzie answered) at posts #5 and #18. I fully admit that here at fodor's you'll probably find a lot more hardcore BdC lover's (and I'm one of them). I have tons of pics of BdC if that would help.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 07:03 AM

Oh, forgot to add, if the price were exactly the same I honestly would still stay at BdC. They won well over 600 acres of land (actually I think it's up near 1000 now) so that give's you so much more possibilities for trails, wildlife etc. The staff there is so warm and the owners are very involved (they live there as well), the setting on the cliff is spectacular, I could go on....
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 07:04 AM

oops, they didn't "won" anything, meant "own"
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 07:42 PM

I booked the Congo cabin at BdC! I'm done obsessing over whether I would have liked Lapa Rios more. I obviously can't go wrong with either one. I'm sure we will love BdC. Plus, with the money saved from three nights at BdC over Lapa Rios, I booked a short trip to Cabo in April!
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 09:07 PM

No contest! BdC for sure. You would have had a good time at any one of those places tho.

The Congo has my favorite view. We saw a whale from there one year. It is one of the smaller cabinas but the view is worth it.

LR's prices must have really gone up LOL!

Old Jan 14th, 2008, 12:57 AM

TravelBug, you will love that cabin; we checked out the view this past July, and it's amazing. Have fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -