Best On-the-Go Gifts for Travelers
It's about that time again. That anxiety-inducing month and a half when we all try to find the perfect presents for the loved ones in our lives, even that classic person-who-has-everything. Well, wanderers need gifts, too. And that's where we come in. This year, our gift guides are full of things that we have, want, and are buying for our own loved ones. (Or are not so subtly hinting at for this year.) From a chic new passport holder and a digital camera to a tried-and-true weekender bag and a plane-ready cashmere scarf, the jetsetter on your list will not be re-gifting this year.
Yes, a candle that smells just like the French countryside is lovely, but for the true jetsetter, its things like these vintage book-inspired tablet and e-reader jackets that make the long haul more fun. We're fond of the On the Road edition ($45). Same goes for a little something colorful to dress up their iPhone. They'd be the envy of their cabin with this leopard print case ($40), or this blue and green ikat printed case ($35). For the friendly traveler, wrap up this striped "Hello!" case ($39.99). One thing your restless loved one definitely needs in their carry-on before take-off is a great camera, and we don't mean one of those clunky DSLRs. Snap up this sleek Sony Cyber-shot RX100, a splurge at $650, but a worthy one. The New York Times didn't call it "the best pocket camera ever made" for nothing.
The same way we all want to make our luggage stand out from the rest of the pack, who wants to arrive at an Immigration Hall with the same looking passport as everyone else? Kate Spade makes fabulous holders like this sparkly gold number ($68). And where exactly do you expect your jetsetter to stash all these goodies? Turn to our Fodor' Approved list of the best carry-on bags on the market now. Lo & Son's O.G. bag ($295) is great for a quick getaway.
Even the most glam traveler has to get practical at some point. For the frequent flyer who hates small talk, splurge on these Bose Quiet Comfort Noise Cancelling Headphones ($299). On the other hand, encourage sharing with this Belkin Rockstar Multi Headphone Splitter ($12), which allows up to 5 different headphones to one device. Combine it with this rustic-chic roll-up travel charger from Restoration Hardware ($49)—it has one small outlet bar that can charge up to 4 devices at once. One thing we always (always) forget to pack is something to wear to lounge around in for those random hours back in the hotel room. Try these Terry Lounge Pants ($70) from Lands' End Canvas; they're a far cry from regular ol' slouchy sweatpants. Oh, and to combat that chilly airplane AC? You've got to have the perfect scarf, and we love this pink one from JCrew.
Still not sure to get that picky loved one? Turn to Wantful, one of the coolest new services we discovered this year. Set your price (from $30-$500), the occasion (birthday, Christmas), and your giftee's relationship to you. You can browse through all gifts in your price range or filter further by categories like Entertaining, Outdoors, Accessories, Apothecary, and more. Then, your lucky giftee will receive a completely personalized gift-book with a purchase code so they can get exactly what they want.
Photo Credits: Top Collage: Top Left: Sony Electronics Inc.; Bottom Far Left: Case-Mate; Bottom Left: Society6, LLC.; Center: OUT OF PRINT; Top Right: PencilShavingsStudio/Etsy,Inc.; Bottom Right: Kate Spade. Bottom Collage: Top Left: Lo & Sons, LLC; Bottom Left: Restoration Hardware, Inc.; Center Top: J. Crew; Center: Amazon.com,Inc.; Center Bottom: Bose Corporation; Right: Landâ€™s End Canvas.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com