British Designer Invents Shoes with Built-in GPS (VIDEO)
We all know there's no place like home. So knowing how to get home is pretty important. British designer and inventor Dominic Wilcox has invented a shoe as part of the Design Factory's Global Footprint that makes getting home, or to a restaurant, hotel, or museum as easy as clicking your heels. (After you sync them up, of course.)
Wilcox said he was inspired by the red heels Dorothy wears in the Wizard of Oz, which could bring her home with merely a click of the heels. His shoes, called "Guide Me Home" are men's brogues in dark leather with red trim and laces. And they house some pretty cool technology.
Plot your destination in custom mapping software, and then connect the left shoe, which houses the GPS, to your computer via USB hookup. Click your heels, and the GPS is activated. The left shoe has a circle of LED lights on the toe, which flash in the direction you're supposed to walk. Then, Wilcox installed a straight line of LED lights on the right shoe, the last of which flashes green when you've made it to your destination. The USB hookup also charges your shoe. Yes, that's right. Charges. Your shoe.
While it's unclear whether this shoe will ever actually go into production, we're wondering whether staring at your feet will result in fewer embarrassing collisions than staring at the map on your smartphone. But it does keep your hands free. Kind of makes you wish for something simpler, like maybe a yellow brick road.
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com