Crystal Cruises Wants You to Dine with the Hobbit
Listen up, guys. Crystal Cruises is currently offering one of the coolest movie-related shore excursions ever: dinner on the "Hobbiton" set in Tauranga, New Zealand. The set was used for the Lord of the Rings trilogy as well as the upcoming prequel, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. The movie makes its debut in the United States on December 14.
Tauranga, on North Island, is a popular cruise port on the Bay of Plenty. Visitors head here for the beaches, Maori cultural tours, art galleries, museums, and fine dining paired with New Zealand wines.
Crystal Cruises passengers will have the unique chance to play make-believe in the fantasy world created by J.R.R. Tolkien and brought to life in Tauranga by The Hobbit's movie crew. These offbeat excursions are offered on the December 20 "Southern Summer Holiday" and the January 29 "Asia Pacific Adventure" voyages aboard Crystal Symphony.
The event will include a private, after-hours guided tour of the village movie set. Guides re-tell a captivating narrative that explains how the movie was filmed and the massive undertaking of building "Middle Earth" in New Zealand.
An old-fashioned "kiwi" barbeque, featuring local wines and beer, caps off the tour. The wait staff will even don Lord of the Rings costumes to put everyone in the spirit.
Crystal's vice president of Land & Port Operations, John Stoll, is proud to bring Middle Earth to travelers: "This is an extraordinarily timely opportunity for Crystal guest to be transported to place that many fantasy-fiction genre fans, movie buffs, as well as wine and foodies, and off-the-beaten path travelers from around the globe can only dream of visiting."
The Hobbiton dinner and village exploration tour costs $265 per person. Cruise fares for the December 20 cruise start at $8,505 per person. Fares for the January 29 cruise begin at $4,480.
Photo credit: Crystal Cruises
You May Also Like
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
What a great cruise to be on especially if you a fan of Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Hopefully instead of the "An old-fashioned "kiwi" barbeque" there will be a Hangi instead.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com