Faktum Hotels Lets You Experience Homelessness for a Night
In November of last year, a non-profit street newspaper out of Gothenburg, Sweden established a chain of 10 hotels around the city. The rooms are budget friendly, but amenities are rather...unusual. In fact, 100 sek (about $15) gets you a variety of options—from a sleeping bag beneath some foliage in a park to a filthy mattress by the junction of the Säve and Göta rivers.
According to Faktum Hotels, Gothenburg contains about 3,400 homeless people, and the "rooms" one can "book" at their hotels are sites representative of the harsh living conditions the homeless in this city endure. Faktum, the street newspaper from which the hotel draws its name, is looking to start a conversation about homelessness in the city, as well as provide a means of support for the homeless population, whose members sell the newspapers. The cost of the room goes to support the organization's goal of job creation for the city's homeless.
According to Faktum Hotels' site, there's no way to guarantee that your actual "room" will be available to sleep in. Each site has been chosen and prepared by a member of the homeless population that Faktum serves.
"Most people enjoy Faktum Hotels as a virtual experience and share it with their friends on Facebook and Twitter," says Faktum editor-in-chief Aaron Israelson. "The main goal is to raise awareness and spread involvement."
To date, about 1,000 rooms have been booked. For more information or to book a room for you or a friend, visit their website.
Photo Credit: Photo courtesy of FaktumHotels
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com