Fall Travel Deals to Redeem Now
As "shoulder season" begins, the travel industry throws out some serious temptations to lure loyal customers on a pre-winter getaway. Here are a few of the best deals on offer from loyalty and frequent traveler programs.
American Airlines is offering double miles on flights between the U.S. and Mexico between September 4 and November 13.
Purchasing miles is always expensive, but members of Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan can get bonus miles (up to 40 percent) if they purchase miles by September 28. If you need to top off those miles to get somewhere, now is the time.
From September 5 to November 16, Amtrak is offering double points on all train travel—meaning you'll get four points per dollar spent rather than the usual two.
Rent a car from an airport-based Avis location for one to two days, between now and November 30, 2012, and you can get 500 AAdvantage bonus miles to use on American Airlines. Rent for three days or more and you can get 750 miles and they throw in a 35 percent discount.
Big Bonus: Do this by Saturday, September 15 (that's tomorrow!), and you can get 5,000 frequent flyer miles on American Airlines. American Airlines is offering a similar deal if you rent a car from Budget—3,000 AAdvantage bonus miles through September 15 (also tomorrow!). These offers were set to expire at the end of August but were extended. Both deals require special coupon codes.
Two hotel chains are celebrating their 25th anniversaries this month and giving away free stays to celebrate. Hilton is giving away a million points to each of 25 HHonors members through September 18. To enter you need to "like" Hilton HHonors on their Facebook page. Other prizes will be awarded, including free stays at hotels like the Waldorf Astoria.
Marriott's Fairfield Inn & Suites also hits the 25-year mark this fall and awarding 25 guests with expense-paid weekend getaways at one of four properties—in Washington DC, New York City, Orlando, or San Diego. Through September 25, guests of Fairfield Inn & Suites in the U.S. and Canada will receive Silver September envelopes upon check-in—25 of which will contain winning silver tickets.
And last, but not least: members of IHG's (Intercontinental Hotel Group) Priority Club loyalty program can score 1,000 extra points by filling out a brief survey.
Want more sweet deals?
We did you one better—the chic boutique Hotel Lincoln in Chicago is offering an exclusive deal just for Fodors.com readers!
Fodors.com contributor Cathleen McCarthy is the rewards expert for CreditCards.com and covers entertainment and travel deals on her own network, Save on Cities. Her stories have appeared in The Washington Post, WSJ, Amtrak ARRIVE, Town & Country, and inflight magazines.
Photo credit: Credit card on computer via Shutterstock
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Best Day Trips from Paris
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com