Headed to Sundance? 5 Park City Hotspots
Right on the heels of the Golden Globes, Hollywood's A-list is about to head east (slightly) to the snow-covered and historic Park City, to make the rounds at the Sundance Film Festival from January 17-27. The city will host stars like Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ed Burns, Rooney Mara, Jessica Biel, Daniel Radcliffe, and dozens of other celebs you'd actually want to see in public. In addition to being ground zero for 115 film screenings (including Jobs, starring Ashton Kutcher as the late Apple visionary, and Before Midnight, the third installment of Richard Linklater's Ethan Hawke-Julie Delpy saga), Park City becomes a playground for daytime schmoozing and nighttime partying all over town. Here's where you should be seen...
Hot Host Hotel: The Official Hotel of the 2013 Sundance Film Festival is The Waldorf Astoria Park City, a hyper-luxe property that opened four years ago. The 175-room Waldorf, which will also be the home of Extra! during the festival, features custom-designed furniture and fireplaces in its elegant, neutral-hued rooms and suites and a 16,000-square-foot Golden Door Spa. The Waldorf also hosts a party in conjunction with Canyons Resort that has included live music from the likes of Jason Mraz and Guster in years past.
See-and-be-Seen Restaurant: Be sure, at some point during the fest, to reserve a table at Grappa Italian Restaurant, one of the seven award-winning upscale eateries by Bill White Restaurant Group in Park City. Located on three levels of an atmospheric restored hotel on charming Main St., Grappa serves Northern Italian cuisine (dishes include spinach and goat cheese gnocchi, lamb pappardelle, and Grappa's osso bucco) amid retro rustic-chic decor.
Silver Screen Scene: Another top-rated Park City restaurant is Silver, which opened in winter 2011 and specializes in progressive American cuisine (fresh, seasonal dishes like fallen goat cheese soufflé, braised pork shank, and pomegranate fried Brussels sprouts). Equally notable are the restaurant's artisan cocktails and stellar 3,000-bottle wine list. But Silver's top drawing card is its sleek and sexy silver décor (it pays homage to the city's past a mining center) and lounge atmosphere.
Sundance's Favorite Spa: When the rich and famous want to be pampered in private, they head to Spa Montage Deer Valley—primarily because the largest spa in Utah is home to a 1,300-square-foot Serenity Suite overlooking Deer Valley Resort and featuring fireside soaking tubs, a massage room, and private balcony. A-listers and film buffs descending on Park City this month can choose between treatments like the 90-minute Earthly Matters (herbal clay wrap and massage) and Elevation (mineralizing bath, invigorating bath, and rhythmic massage) before nibbling on healthy spa cuisine while relaxing beside the stunning mosaic pool between screenings. It is also home to the Kim Vö Salon, one of just four salons the celebrity stylist operates (the others are in Beverly Hills, Las Vegas, and Laguna Beach).
Meet Me Downstairs: The first celebrity-owned nightclub in Utah, Downstairs is the brainchild of "That 70s Show" alum Danny Masterson, who opened his star-studded lounge in 2009. Located below Park City's Main St. and offering a New York or L.A. club vibe—it has hosted a series of famous DJs and performers like Samantha Ronson, Talib Kwali, and Paul Oakenfeld—and is a top spot for after-hours Sundance fun. Hip-hop star Lil John and singer Kate Voegele are two of the headliners set to performer here during Sundance 2013.
Photo credits: Sundance courtesy of Park City Chamber/CVB; Waldorf Astoria Park City courtesy of The Waldorf Astoria Park City; Grappa courtesy of Grappa Italian Restaurant; Silver Restaurant courtesy of Silver Restaurant Park City; Spa Montage Serenity Suite courtesy of Spa Montage Park City; Downstairs courtesy of Downstairs Park City
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $519 & up -- 7-Night Caribbean Cruise, R/T New OrleansAmerican Express Travel
- $130-$138 -- 4-Star Cancun All-Inclusive Resort w/CreditsBookit.com
- $1512 & up -- Irish Escape: 7-Nt. Multi-City Vacation w/AirGreat Value Vacations
- $2108 & up -- Italy: 6-Nt. 3-City Escape w/Breakfast & AirSceptre Tours
- $1674 & up -- Fiji Islands & Auckland 6-Nights w/Air & HotelTripMasters.com Flexible Trips
- $135 & up -- Charlotte, N.C.: Uptown Hotel, $200 OffThe Westin Charlotte