IKEA Announces Budget Hotels
Low-cost, assemble-yourself furniture company Ikea has announced a plan to establish a line of budget-friendly hotels in Europe. In a twist, guests will not be asked to put together their own beds or mini-bar.
As reported by the Associated Press, Inter Ikea, the company that owns Ikea's intellectual property rights, is planning to open 100 hotels across Europe through its property division, though the hotels won't be branded as "Ikea" or contain any of the company's furniture.
The first two hotels are expected to open in Germany in 2014, with properties to follow in Belgium, the Netherlands, Britain, Poland, and the Nordic countries, according to the AP. Ikea will be operating the hotels with another company who remains as yet unnamed. The name of the hotel line will be announced sometime in September. Inter Ikea already owns properties on the continent, including sites in the Netherlands, Poland, Belgium, and Spain.
Harold Muller, development manager of Inter Ikea's property division told the AP that, while the Ikea name and umlaut-laden furniture will not be present in the hotels, the philosophy of "good quality at a reasonable price," will link the hotels to the world's largest furniture retail store.
"We're aiming to spread all over Europe," he said.
The real question is, when the name of the line is finally announced, will we as Americans be able to pronounce it, or will we fake it? Also, will they have meatballs?
Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons/Daniel S.
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1624 & up -- Scotland & Ireland 8-Nt. B&B Escape w/AirGreat Value Vacations
- $1089* & up -- Munich Late Summer Sale Fares, R/TLufthansa
- $829* & up -- Scandinavia Late Summer & Fall Sale Fares, R/TScandinavian Airlines
- $135 & up -- Seattle 4-Star Downtown Hotel, Save 50%Sheraton Seattle Hotel
- $775 & up -- Hawaii 3-Nts. w/Air & Car; All Islands on SalePleasant Holidays
- $99 -- Phoenix All-Suite Resort w/Waterpark, 40% OffArizona Grand Resort & Spa