Introducing Fodor's Travel Phrases App
Good news, fellow Fodorites! The Fodor's Travel Phrases you've come to know and love so well on Fodors.com are now available in the palm of your hand with the new Fodor's Travel Phrases App for iPhone, iPad, and Nook. Our good friends at Living Language helped compile 400 useful phrases in 22 languages for your everyday travel needs.
Each language is $1.99, or, if you plan to globe-hop, buy a bundle of languages for a given region (bundles only available for iPhone/iPad). The app allows you to search by category (i.e. "At the Restaurant") or search by English phrase. Each result is then displayed, and if needed, spoken to you by a native speaker. No more robot voices. (I'm looking at you, Siri.)
For ease of use, each travel phrase book is available offline, so even if you don't have service, you're never at a loss for words. Favorite your most-used phrases to access them quickly, like when that tiny Russian grandmother refuses to part with an amber necklace at a reasonable price, or when you've got to give the slip to a bunch of Dutch brigands. Or, you know, when you're asking for the check or directions to the restroom.
The Travel Phrases App is available in the following languages: Spanish; French; Italian; German; Chinese; Japanese; Arabic; Portuguese; Russian; Korean; Greek; Hebrew; Turkish; Thai; Vietnamese; Czech; Croatian; Dutch; Swedish; Polish; Swahili; Hungarian. Boom.
Bundles are available fo Western Europe, Eastern Europe, and Asia (prices vary). Or you can get the whole set for $14.99. Available in the App Store and the Nook Store.
You May Also Like
Member Comments (2) Post a Comment
i bought the german phrases for my ipad. but it will not open. it keeps telling me to buy it again. Very disappointed
on Oct 17, 12 at 03:14 PM
Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the Phrases app. We realize there is a stability issue with downloading the language packs at this time. We are busy working on a fix to submit this week. In the meantime, if you delete and reinstall the app, your best bet is to ensure you have a strong wifi signal BEFORE you try to download the languages you purchased again. Then, do not close the app or use any other app while your language packs download. It should only take a few minutes.
You will not be charged twice, since iTunes recognizes that you already own those items.
We'll have an update out in the coming weeks that will fix this issue, so if you can wait till then, that will also solve the problem. Sorry apologize for the inconvenience!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- The Ultimate Packing Guide for Europe
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com