Napcabs Debuts Sleeping Pods at Munich Airport
We've all attempted it—the quick nap between flights at the airport, wedged betwixt a row of chairs and a recycling bin, our carry-on for a pillow. Not the most restful sleep, is it? Well at Terminal 2 of the Munich Airport, passengers can snooze in style via napcabs. When we first heard the term, we immediately thought of some sort of large van with cots (a la the "Relaxicab" from Friends), but as it turns out, napcabs are stationary pods one can rent for some quick Zzz's or just some peace and quiet.
Guests use the touchscreen on the napcab to book a specific amount of time in the pod. According to their site, once in, guests can leave for short stints (to grab a bottle of water, let's say) and then upon "checkout," napcab service people are called to clean the cabin and put down fresh sheets.
The inside of the room has a full bed and workstation, a multimedia touch screen with preloaded video and audio, flight information, alarm clock, internet access, and air conditioning. There's even a blind on the window of the front door for privacy.
Rates start about $13 per hour depending on the time of day, but there is a $40 minimum. Is it a little pricy? Sure. But when you're staring down a five-hour layover parked in front of some chain restaurant chock-full of unhappy children, a little time to yourself might be worth the money.
No word yet on when or if other airports will be installing napcabs. Perhaps the collective sigh of thousands of business travelers will move them along?
Photos courtesy of Napcabs
You May Also Like
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
Love this idea!! Other airports, are you listening?
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2199 -- Cuba: 5-Nt. Escorted Havana Tour w/Air, $300 OffFriendly Planet Travel
- $110 & up -- San Diego: Gaslamp Quarter Hotel, Save $150Expedia
- $169 & up -- 4-Star French Quarter Hotel, Save 45%Expedia
- $1749 -- Balcony: Weeklong Cruise to Bahamas in SummerRoyal Caribbean
- $229 & up -- Chicago: 4-Star Michigan Avenue Hotel, 50% OffThe Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago
- $1373* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/TAir New Zealand