Statue of Liberty to Reopen on its Birthday
October 28 marks the 126th birthday of the Statue of Liberty, and Lady Liberty is ready to celebrate. On that day, the interior of the monument, which has been closed for one year for renovation, will reopen to the public while final work is being completed. The rest of the renovation is expected to be finished by year's end.
On October 29, 2011, the interior of the statue was closed for a $27.25 million safety and accessibility renovation. Improvements include new up-to-code stairways, fire suppression systems, mechanical and electrical updates, new elevators, and updated restrooms (Hurray!, says anyone who's ever waited in line for admission). According to the National Parks Service, the results will be a more accessible and tourist-friendly Statue. Liberty Island, which sees about 3.5 million visitors every year, according to the NPS, has remained open during construction.
"We have reached a critical milestone in our Fire and Life Safety Project where we can begin to allow visitors back in to the monument on a limited basis while the project moves to completion by the end of the year. We are very excited that Lady Liberty will once again open her doors on her 126th birthday; October 28th," said David Luchsinger, superintendent of Statue of Liberty National Monument and Ellis Island in a statement to the press.
Luchsinger indicated more detail will be available as the date draws near, so check Nps.gov/stli, or follow Lady Liberty's Facebook page (Facebook.com/StatueLibrtyNPS) or Twitter feed (Twitter.com/StatueLibrtyNPS).
Photo credit: Statue of Liberty via Shutterstock
You May Also Like
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
Should make for a nice October Surprise !!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- 4 Perfect Japan Itineraries
- NYC's Best New Outdoor Watering Holes
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- The Ultimate Packing Guide for Europe
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com