Scandanavia: Venture north of the Arctic Circle
Between early June and mid-July the sun doesn’t set here—a phenomenon known as the midnight sun. Some of the prettiest places to take in this phenomenon are Bodo, Narvik, and Nordkapp in Norway; or while skiing the King’s Trail in northern Sweden. Equally moving (though in a less gleeful way) is the reverse experience at the height of winter, when the Arctic goes completely dark for a few months.
You May Also Like
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
You don't ski the King's Trail during summer, you hike.
Bodø and Narvik are quite ordinary cities in north Norway.
Tromsø is a good city in northern Norway to visit during summer. Even better is to visit the Lofoten islands and places like Svolvær.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- 4 Perfect Japan Itineraries
- NYC's Best New Outdoor Watering Holes
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- The Ultimate Packing Guide for Europe
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com