Royal Engagement: Will & Kate's Favorite African Lodges
Royal-watchers everywhere rejoiced at the confirmation of the impending nuptials of His Royal Highness William Windsor and Kate Middleton. The couple recently got engaged in Kenya, where the prince has been many times. Your special African experiences can also include dinners for two by candlelight, private game drives, lounging on unspoiled beaches, and flightseeing tours. With dramatic settings and impeccable service, luxury African lodges truly make everyone feel like royalty. Here are some of the places Will and Kate visited during their recent romantic trip.
Run by The Safari and Conservation Company, this island retreat off the coast of Kenya combines "beach and bush" experiences. Thatch roofed cottages are perfect for just relaxing in the water-front hammocks, but the simply-designed interiors have luxurious modern amenities. If you tire of exploring the deserted coast, there's also boat rides on tradition dhows, and visits to nearby Lamu, a tiny medieval town with strong Arabian heritage. See their Website.
Lewa Downs, at the foot of Mt. Kenya, is one of Laikipia's conservation successes. The Craig family emigrated from England in 1924 and still lives on the same 65,000-acre property, but instead of raising cattle, with the cooperation of the local communities, they have returned the area to a wildlife haven. Descendants of the original family will lead you on all sorts of activities and claim that you'll see as much . . . read more.
For More Information
Photo Credit: Courtesy The African Safari and Conservation Company
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com